[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coaches on the Hot Seat!

spain

Which coaches are on the hotseat going into this year? Here a quick few who come to mind:

1. Jim Haslett: He does less with more talent in Louisiana than any coach since Dale Brown. I have predicted his termination for the past couple of years. And yet, he is still here and Benson seems content. Surely, he gets canned if the Aints dont make the playoffs, maybe sooner if the they dont get off to a decent start.

2. Mike Sherman: If not for Mike Tice, would be the dumbest coach in the league. The Pack is not getting better under Sherman and I dont see why they will keep Sherman after this season if they dont make a deep playoff run.

3. Tom Coughlin: His players hate him. Stern disciplinarian who takes rule following to the absurd. Had a good start last year and then completely collapsed. Some say the team just quit on him. He has lost this team and they are going no where fast. Mara wont allow him to remain coach after they win 5 games tops this year.

4. Mike Holgren: The genius aint nearly as smart without Brett Favre behind center. His Seahawks teams play without heart and have the character of earthworms. Will Paul Allen abide another mediocre season with this talent? I dont think so.

Fisher will never be on the Hot Seat!  Good Call Spain

913067[/snapback]

Never is a stretch for anybody, but Fisher is solid as they come, therefor so is his job security.

Holmgren however... if he finds his offense on the goalline in a must win situation, he better get 6. Otherwise, it won't matter who's number he called, it will be his last.

I don't know about Fisher, but if he plays McNair all year, I'd fire him.

913098[/snapback]

I'm not a tits fan at all, but I do think Fisher is a great coach. He didn't waste any time unloading George when he was done, and if McNair is done, Volek will play. I don't think McNair is done though, he was just the victim of an injury that never fully healed last year and kept trying to come back when he should have rested another week. With that type of injury any hit HURTS LIKE HE!LL.

Spain, when I said the same thing about Haslett Saints fans came at me from every direction calling for my balls to be cut off...again I say, isn't it obvious Haslett is the glaring weakness in that organization?

I'll be surprised if he has a job if he does'nt have a good season

...but I have been surprised before.

Also what about Martz?

2.  Mike Sherman:  If not for Mike Tice, would be the dumbest coach in the league.  The Pack is not getting better under Sherman and I dont see why they will keep Sherman after this season if they dont make a deep playoff run.

913029[/snapback]

I don't know that I'd call Sherm "the 2nd dumbest coach in the league"; I think with his temperament and philosophy he could be Reeves/Schottenheimer type guy - maybe never winning the whole enchilada, but more often than not fielding a solid, competitive team.

Anyway, I think the 2-4 playoff record and inconsistency from game-to-game will do Sherman in if he doesn't make it to the NFC title game this year. Part of the problem is Sherman's own failings as a GM and some of his poor decisions coaching-wise - namely, letting throwing the solid Ed Donatell under the bus for the pathetic yes-man Bob Slowik. Ted Thompson appears to be attempting to whip the organization back into good sal-cap shape, Sherman's needs be d*mned - a move I wholeheartedly support; sometimes you've gotta sacrifice short-term goals for long-term success.

Add to the fact that new defensive co-ordinator Jim Bates did a heckuva job floating a sunken ship in Miami last year, and if Sherman falters, the heir apparent is already sitting on the staff. The irony is that if Bates gets the D to a semblance of respecatability, he might work himself out of a direct promotion - though if he pulls that off, or heaven help us a COMPLETE turnaround like Donatell did with the Falcs, I figure some other team will snap him up to be head man.

How does Shanny stay off the hot seat?

He's right there in the Holmgren category of "seems much less genius-like without Johnny Bronco and TD"

Ted Thompson appears to be attempting to whip the organization back into good sal-cap shape, Sherman's needs be d*mned - a move I wholeheartedly support; sometimes you've gotta sacrifice short-term goals for long-term success.

913690[/snapback]

Pretty crappy draft this year though, right?

Actually, I thought so at first, but reports out of camp are that Rodgers is looking the part of heir apparent, Nick Collins is playing VERY well at safety (doesn't make him any less of a reach, they could've gotten him much later), and Marviel Underwood looks like a nice keeper. Mike Hawkins is doing fairly well despite being a bit of a project as well. Also they signed an undersized LT from Souther Miss (Chris White is his name, I believe) who has been performing VERY well - Thurs, they said he hadn't lost a one-on-one blocking matchup yet, and is slotted in as the #3 C.

Haven't heard much on Coston, Whitticker, Bragg, or Murphy.

Mike Montgomery has looked like garbage from what I've been told.

So, they aren't getting IMMEDIATE help where it's most needed - the D-line - but early returns on the picks are that they ARE talented and can compete.

Could be a worse draft, as far as it looks now. Much worse.

Believe it or not, I think Mooch is under alot of pressure to take the kitty's to the playoffs this year. Will he be canned if he doesn't...In a word no. The Fords are very loyal to their personal. If he doesn't next year.....LOOKOUT!

Believe it or not, I think Mooch is under alot of pressure to take the kitty's to the playoffs this year. Will he be canned if he doesn't...In a word no. The Fords are very loyal to their personal. If he doesn't next year.....LOOKOUT!

914169[/snapback]

Obviously, expectations are alot higher for the Lions this year. But there is no way that Mooch is on the hot seat. He has put together a pretty solid core of young players. I dont think he has to make the playoffs to keep his job. As long as they are showing signs of improvement, he is in good shape for the next several years...

Obviously, expectations are alot higher for the Lions this year.  But there is no way that Mooch is on the hot seat.  He has put together a pretty solid core of young players.  I dont think he has to make the playoffs to keep his job.  As long as they are showing signs of improvement, he is in good shape for the next several years...

914175[/snapback]

Mooch didn't put that team together...Millen did.

914169[/snapback]

Obviously, expectations are alot higher for the Lions this year.  But there is no way that Mooch is on the hot seat.  He has put together a pretty solid core of young players.  I dont think he has to make the playoffs to keep his job.  As long as they are showing signs of improvement, he is in good shape for the next several years...

914175[/snapback]

Mooch didn't put that team together...Millen did.

915021[/snapback]

I agree with lions suck here. If they don't finish above .500, the only reason he'll keep his job is the Ford's history of loyalty. Millen just got a 5-year extension the other day, so he is secure. Someone will have to be the fall guy if they don't live up to expectations. If that happens this year, the QB position may get the blame. But Mooch gets his fair share of heat from media and fans around town. Namely his conservative play calling. When we heard he was coming to town a few years ago, we had visions of the old SF offense and it just hasn't happened (although the Lions lack of quality players played a role).

Edit: And I do think that Haslett will be the first to go. Of course I thought that last year too.

Edited by Puddy

Very well put Puddy. Millin IS secured and Joey "ballgame" is on a short leash to say the least. If Joey doesn't live up to expectations, Garcia will be in there by game four. I talked to Mooch yesterday at the "Black and Blue" practice and mentioned that I hope to be buying playoff tickets this season. He sort of growled at me so I know he's feeling the heat! I do believe Mooch is in his 3rd year of a 5th year contract, and I have heard no mention of an extension. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not a tits fan at all, but I do think Fisher is a great coach.  He didn't waste any time unloading George when he was done, and if McNair is done, Volek will play.  I don't think McNair is done though, he was just the victim of an injury that never fully healed last year and kept trying to come back when he should have rested another week.  With that type of injury any hit HURTS LIKE HE!LL.

913314[/snapback]

hahaha....darn that sucks man...Im a HUGE tits fan (.)(.)

Titans? Hate em!!