[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's the :coolest" rule in your league?

BigMikeinNY

In one league, we use a blind-bid system to acquire free agents and waiver wire players.  Each team is given a 200 unit budget in the beginning of the year, and you use it to bid on players during the year.  You never know what other teams are bidding, so there is alot of strategy involved in trying to acquire players during the season.  You don't want to overpay, but you need to make sure you bid enough to get a guy you really want.

I'm sure there are other leagues that have a similar system, but this is the first league I've been in that does it.

940383[/snapback]

My dynasty league runs the FA process in a similar manner. Adds a lot of strategy planning to running a team.

We allocate 50 dollars to the first player arrested during the season.

940498[/snapback]

We require $20 bail money added to the pot if an owners player gets arrested before that player can be started.

In my dynasty league, the last place team (loser of the toilet bowl) is renamed for the next season by the rest of the league.

940596[/snapback]

That's a good idea!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my local, if one of your 1st - 3rd rounders get hurt, you can automatically move the first in the WW order that week (based on record otherwise), drop that player, and pick up someone at the same position - your normal pickup then gets pushed to last. It was originally officially named "The so <Jones> stops whining rule" in honor of the owner that had Jamal, Vinny, and one other get hurt in '99 and effectively ended his season after week 2. The rule was later changed to just "The <Jones> rule" after, yep, you guessed it, he whined about the name of the rule.

Name changed to protect the guilty.

We have two groups bankers and funeral directors we call it the Dead Money League. Each group is a team of themselves and the low points total for the year buys supper at a steakhouse or other restuarant. Then we go to a local bar and play pool and darts all on the losers. We usually do this in the spring as an offseason get together.

We have a keeper league that is auction based and we use a salary cap and salaries. If you elect to keep a player, you must give him an 8 dollar salary bump. But here is the cool rule - you can offer players multi year contracts - up to 3 years. In the 2nd year of the contract he only gets a 4 dollar bump and the 3rd year is a 2 dollar bump. But if the player gets old or injured and starts to stink you can cut him but the contract counts against your salary cap.

So there is a lot of strategy and risk associated with giving long term contracts.

We also have a 12 team league in 3 divisions and play a 14 game schedule. The way we do this and still have playoffs week 14 is to have a doubleheader in week 13.

So you are playing against 2 different teams in week 14 and that becomes a usual make or break weak for teams on the playoff bubble. Very exciting. You almost have to start thinking about week 14 around week 8 to put yourself in a strong playoff position.

From this forum (the rule), my main league this year will incorporating a new HIGH SCORE rule.  Each week:

Low score team gives the High Score team $10. 

It's not the craziest rule in the world, but I cant imagine anything more fun than calling another team in the league Tuesday morning, and letting them know they owe ya 10 beans!!

BigMike

940361[/snapback]

In my local, if one of your 1st - 3rd rounders get hurt, you can automatically move the first in the WW order that week (based on record otherwise), drop that player, and pick up someone at the same position - your normal pickup then gets pushed to last.  It was originally officially named "The so <Jones> stops whining rule" in honor of the owner that had Jamal, Vinny, and one other get hurt in '99 and effectively ended his season after week 2.  The rule was later changed to just "The <Jones> rule" after, yep, you guessed it, he whined about the name of the rule.

Name changed to protect the guilty.

940763[/snapback]

Although others may disagree, i love this rule! I feel the pain of any owner that loses a player of the caliber, especially if it's me :D

In my local we draft coaches and you must submit a coach every week. They earn (or lose) points according to whether they win are lose and by how by how much. A 21+ point margin earns 10 points, etc, so if you don't get a winner your good week could just suck.

We have playoffs for all off the bottom teams that aren't in the money. The losing team in that bracket wins "the tiera bowl" and has to bring and wear a tiera throughout the next draft.

A scoring rule that I hate in our league is all special teams td's are worth 12 points.

Our "unique" rule comes in at the draft. You name 3 players from your team you would like to keep, 1-franchise player & 2-restricted players. No one can take your franchise player. But they can take one of your restricted players and the other then falls back on your team. It makes for interesting strategy, because some teams will franchise a RB then put a RB-WR out there as restriced players. So when it comes to their first pick, they dont know if htey should go stud WR or stud WR. This year I happen to be starting with Domanick as my franchise and Julius and Ahman as my restricted with the third overall pick. :D

Our league rewards double points for TDs that are non-traditional for the given position.  For instance, if a RB recieves or throws a TD it's 12 points or a QB running/receiving a TD is 12 points etc....

We do that too... and we have our scores on a graduated scale based on distance. We're revamping this part of our scoring this season, though. I think we're simply adding a 5 point bonus for non-traditional scores to the 6, 9 or 12 points for TDs.

A TE is only required in 7 games is something we do...

940569[/snapback]

:D That couldve solved a problem for me this year. I wish I read this before we had our rules meeting..We had a vote for mandatory TE and it got shot down. We used to have madatory TE but it became a dead spot in the lineup during the Gonzo Walls days. Now that TEs had a resurgance someone suggested making it mandatory again which I liked but it got voted down. I have to remember this for next year.

We use a O/D differental. Each team has an Offense Team and a Defense Team. Take points differental of them and use:3-9 Diff=2 points, 10-16 Diff=4 points, 17-23 Diff=6 points, 24-30 Diff=8 points, 31-36 Diff=10 points & 37+ Diff=12 points.

Ex: If Dallas (OFF) scores 45 and Chicago (DEF) gives up 10 = Diff is 35 which is good for 10 points. Try finding an online league that can handle that scoring! :D

We can draft college players

... BUT ...

we must stash them away on our roster for the entire season. One season, I carried two college players all season long ... which is tough because we only have 16 man rosters and start eight each week!

If we want, we can keep the college players next year for the round they were picked in, less three (meaning, if you took a college guy in the 14th round, you could keep him the next year for an 11th round pick).

This is our 6th year together.

We've had a few "can't miss" college RBs go as early as the 9th round (LT and Kevin Jones, IIRC).

Edited by muck

We have a "con tax" rule. Every time a player is arrested you owe the pot $10. Silent bid on FA/WW, one time bid, makes it interesting plus when we know a guy is hurting at a position. A few of us will throw a minimum bid in to make them pay for that player. More than once have received an email from owner pissed cuz i was the only other to bid on that player and caused him to pay for it. Lastly, the bottomfeeder for previous season is the "lady dog" for getting beers.

Any team whose dues are not paid up by the draft date mandatorily has their team named changed to "The Cheapass Deadbeats" until the dues are recieved.

Interestingly, every team in my BOTH league got their dues in early. Not "on time," but early.

IN my Keeper league we have a traveling trophey for the Toliet Bowl winner, an actual Toilet Seat, it's painted and has the Toliet Bowls winner and year on it. It must be displayed in the losers house.

In my auction league we have 2 party players, they are chosen before the auction by the commish's wife so nobody knows who they are until they are bought. When you buy one of the 2 players you are responsible for hosting a party (with the owner of the other player) betweek NFL weeks 6 and 10. This gives us an excuse to get together and talk smack, make trades, drink and play poker! This years players were M Hasselbeck and TJ Houshmandzadeh and they were sold back to back!!

Edited by T-Scorp

We have a rule that if your bench players outscore your starters for the week, it's a $5 fine.  Makes everyone have to keep a closer eye on the weekly starters and the individual matchups.

943149[/snapback]

Keep a closer eye? You mean people might not have started the player they thought would score more but since there is now a fine, they make sure they try harder? Are you telling me people would pay more attention to their lineups because they'd rather not pay a $5 fine? How about picking your best lineup because you want to win.