[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Old School WWF

whomper

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man ! I used to love it. I would go to every event at the Hersheypark arena. I was their for a Saturday Night's Main Event. Macho Man Savage vs. Tito Santana. Hulk Hogan & Andre The Giant vs. King Kong Bund & Big John Stud. It was awesome ! There was also a Piper's Pit that night. I had all of the Figures, the ring, etc. I remember the coolest thing ever was finding one of the figures before anyone else had them. I got my hands on The British Bulldog figures before anyone else on my block, and I ruled the world. The Macho Man was always my favorite, and I used to do a pretty good impression of him.

Actualy had a beer with Hawk and Animal, the Road Warriors, at the Irish Pub in Frankfurt Germany. They were pretty cool, and freaking massive in person.

Oh, and I was always a Ric Flair fan, myself. "Whether you like it, or you don't like it; sit down and take a look at it, cuz it's the best... going... today! Whooo!" Long live the Four Horsemen!

The Claw was one to wasn't it? the Road Warriors had the most awesome move though I think. Can't remember the name of it but it was badass. The figure four leg lock was another classic.

956697[/snapback]

I believe you are referring to the Doomsday Device, where Animal would pick the guy up so he's sitting on his shoulders, and Hawk would fly off the top rope with a clothsline.

I was more AWA, NWA/WCW back in the day, but watched WWF as well. First match I remember seeing of the WWF was Backlund against Snuka in a cage, where Snuka tried the splach off the top of the cage and missed. Backlund got him in the double chicken-wing and it was all over. Good stuff. :D

The cage matches between Andre and Big John Studd ruled!

My favorites were the Vachon family... Mad Dog, Paul the Butcher, Vivian and Luna.  :D

956820[/snapback]

Mad Dog ruled!

"You gave me this scar Wally Karbo!"

"I will chew on your bones until I see white!"

What about the moves the guys were famous for..Hogans leg drop, SGt. Slaughters cobra clutch. The sleeper. Superfly off the top rope.

and the always popular abdominal stretch

956695[/snapback]

You gotta love the Sheik's camel clutch. A buddy of mine put a kid in that back in the day and drove him to tears.

What about Hacksaw Jim Duggan with the 2x4 or the Bushwackers? Nobody has mentioned the Ultimate Warrior yet that I can tell.

I was more AWA, NWA/WCW back in the day, but watched WWF as well.  First match I remember seeing of the WWF was Backlund against Snuka in a cage, where Snuka tried the splach off the top of the cage and missed.  Backlund got him in the double chicken-wing and it was all over.  Good stuff.  :D

956837[/snapback]

I was also a NWA/WCW fan 1st, I can remember the 1st live event I went to at the Dorton Arena in Raleigh, the main event was "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes and Magnum TA vs. the 4 Horsemen (In this match it was Arn and Ole Anderson) for the NWA World Tag Team Titles. I used to be a big fan of wrestling but have drifted away in the last few years. I have met a few wrestlers in non-wrestling situations, Steve Austin, Paul Wight (The Giant, The Big Show), Eddie Gurerrero, Chris Benoit. They all came into the bar I was at when the show was in town. Austin really is an *** in real life and Big Show is freakin hugh. :D

Edited by Selly

Mad Dog ruled!

"You gave me this scar Wally Karbo!"

"I will chew on your bones until I see white!"

956840[/snapback]

You did not want to be in the first few rows of a match that Mad Dog was in. Dude was constantly launching lugies out into the crowd the whole match.

Jeeze................my memories of wrestling pre-date WWF.  Names:

Dick the Bruiser My fave!

The Crusher (DtB's cousin)

Moose Cholak

Buddy Rogers

Bobby Heenan

Baron Von Rashcke

Ernie Ladd

956706[/snapback]

I think you're speaking a language these guys don't understand....most of these guys were on a Chicago/Milwaukee circuit and never garnered any national attention. But, I'm right with you here.

One name you forgot out of this list is Pepper Gomez....but those were the days with Dick the Bruiser and the Crusher, Ernie Ladd's "thumb".....brings back some memories, that's for sure! :D

Before there was Hulk Hogan, there was Superstar Billy Graham with the original pythons. He was hugh.

Always hated Mr. Wonderful, Paul Orndorf...didn't he play football for the Bucs?

Always liked the TBS wrestling with Tommy Rich, Ted Debiosi, King Kong Bundy and Rick Flair.

I'll never forget watching 20/20 back in the mid '80s when David Schultz "Dr. D" hit that reporter after the guy asked him if wrestling was real.

Edited to add: I forget Tito Santana. ARRIBA!!

Edited by geeteebee

I think you're speaking a language these guys don't understand....most of these guys were on a Chicago/Milwaukee circuit and never garnered any national attention. But, I'm right with you here.

One name you forgot out of this list is Pepper Gomez....but those were the days with Dick the Bruiser and the Crusher, Ernie Ladd's "thumb".....brings back some memories, that's for sure! :D

956900[/snapback]

Very true. I forgot a bunch of names. I remember those circuits, but some, D the B for one, I thought fought in more than one. Ladd was hugh.....6'8, 300+, and played NFL for Cincy, I think. Once the WWF comercialized soooo much I lost interest.

I forgot about The piledriver , The Boston Crab , the suplex, indian toe hold, figure 4 leg lock

and Kamala The ugandan Giant

Edited by whomper

Wow great topic.

Walter "Killer" Kowolski

He also had a claw.

I just saw him in person about 3 yrs ago. Mid 70's if not older now and still huge. He had a wrestling school in the Boston area for years with a journeyman wrestler named Doherty. Can't remember the 1st name.

Juan Caruso was also WWF. Reminded me of a bowling ball.

And I remember Superstar Billy Graham non WWF. All blond. He then went natural color closely cropped with a black beard. Near the end he had the shaved head and colored beard. If I remember, he was the 1st body builder / wrestler.

Tony Atlas was another.

Can't recall if he was mentioned earlier, but anyone remember Bruiser Brody? Man was a lunatic in and out of the ring, who was eventually stabbed in the lockerroom after a show in Mexico.

RR, I do remember seeing the Crusher, Heenan, Von Rashke, Ray "The Crippler" Stevens and a lot more back in the day of Verne Gagne's AWA. That was all pre-Hogan then. Now that was some fun stuff.

In the NWA, the Four Horsemen ruled! One of the best batches I saw, and still have on tape, is the Magnum T.A. vs. Tully Blanchard in an "I Quit" match from Starrcade. Absolutely brutal for it's time, and head and shoulders above anything that is done today.

And in terms of raw brutality, it didn't get much worse than Abdullah the Butcher.

One of the greatest feuds I have ever seen was also in the NWA, with Buzz Sawyer vs Tommy "Wildfire" Rich. Those guys left pintos of blood in arenas all across the south in the early 80's.

Old School for me were:

Bruno Sam Martino

Jumping Johnnie DeFazio

Chief White Owl

Cowboy Coppas

Professor Tanaka

:D  :D  :D

956674[/snapback]

I remember watching these guys with my grandparents back in the late 60's or early 70's ...

Add to the list George "The Animal" Steel and Chief Jay Strongbow.

They also used to have midget wrestling and the Ladies too!

Can't recall if he was mentioned earlier, but anyone remember Bruiser Brody?  Man was a lunatic in and out of the ring, who was eventually stabbed in the lockerroom after a show in Mexico.

RR, I do remember seeing the Crusher, Heenan, Von Rashke, Ray "The Crippler" Stevens and a lot more back in the day of Verne Gagne's AWA.  That was all pre-Hogan then.  Now that was some fun stuff.

In the NWA, the Four Horsemen ruled!  One of the best batches I saw, and still have on tape, is the Magnum T.A. vs. Tully Blanchard in an "I Quit" match from Starrcade.  Absolutely brutal for it's time, and head and shoulders above anything that is done today.

And in terms of raw brutality, it didn't get much worse than Abdullah the Butcher.

One of the greatest feuds I have ever seen was also in the NWA, with Buzz Sawyer vs Tommy "Wildfire" Rich.  Those guys left pintos of blood in arenas all across the south in the early 80's.

957136[/snapback]

Even his son Greg Gagne... he was little but always seemed to win his matches! I remember my first and only event I saw live. I was jumping up and down along with the rest of the crowd and fell back on my folding chair; the chair folded up with both of my hand caught in the sides and my weight on the chair. Thank god someone finally saw me flailing around trying to get out!

My great-grandmother was 90 years old and believed it was real. She watched it every Saturday afternoon and used to go to see them live sometimes. Her favorite wrassler, Rowdy Piper (I think), was losing and she tried to beat the other guy with her cane when Rowdy flipped him out of the ring. She was ejected from the Richmond Coliseum and banned. I'm sure everyone thought it was part of the act, but wasn't. She was a fiesty old lady. :D