[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Old School WWF

whomper

Guest Sores
This guy was not that old school.  He used to be in the NWA and he looked like Warren Moon.  His name was Norm Smiley, how tough of a wrestling name is that? Norm Smiley?  Does anyone remember him?

1368305[/snapback]

Not THAT old school? He is YOUNGER than me!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy was not that old school.  He used to be in the NWA and he looked like Warren Moon.  His name was Norm Smiley, how tough of a wrestling name is that? Norm Smiley?  Does anyone remember him?

1368305[/snapback]

He was just wrestling in NWA-TNA last week. When you're a pro wrestler and one of you signature moves is called "The Big Wiggle", that just ain't right. :D

• 5 years later...
Oh man ! I used to love it. I would go to every event at the Hersheypark arena. I was their for a Saturday Night's Main Event. Macho Man Savage vs. Tito Santana. Hulk Hogan & Andre The Giant vs. King Kong Bund & Big John Stud. It was awesome ! There was also a Piper's Pit that night. I had all of the Figures, the ring, etc. I remember the coolest thing ever was finding one of the figures before anyone else had them. I got my hands on The British Bulldog figures before anyone else on my block, and I ruled the world. The Macho Man was always my favorite, and I used to do a pretty good impression of him.

:wacko:

I cut my teeth in the old AWA. my dad took me to one of those matches, the only wrasslin I ever saw live, when I was like 6 or 7 years old. the main event was the high flyers (greg gagne and jim bunzell) against jesse the body ventura and adrian adonis. there was blood everywhere.

then I was a big WWF fan through most of the 80s. good times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_at_the_Chase

Anybody else from the STL recall this? Sunday mornings, after 8am mass. "Praise be to God" followed by, "Kick him in the head, Dick the Bruiser!!!"

And was I the only one who subscribed to Pro Wrestling Illustrated?

King Kong Brody

Dick the Bruiser

Bulldog Bob Brown

Harley Race (before that "king" WWF bullSHAM WOW!)

The Von Erichs - Fritz (the Dad), and his boys - Kerry, Kevin, and I can't remember. They all used "the claw" too.

Two matches I will always remember seeing (on TV):

1) Hulk Hogan filling in for an injured Bob Backland vs the Iron Sheik for the WWF title (and starting the explosion of the WWF)

2) Superfly Jimmy Snuka's cage match against Magnificent Don Muraco, where Snuka flew from the top of the cage (A W E S O M E - start at 1:20)

Tidbit: before he was Randy Macho Man Savage, he was Randy Poffo, St. Louis Cardinals minor leaguer.

Edited by lennykravitz2004

THIS TREAD IS ALMOST 6 YEARS OLD AND NO MENTION OF THE GREATEST THREESOME OF ALL TIMES.

Buddy Roberts

Michael Hays

and Terry Gordy

The Fabulous Freebirds

What about Jimmy Garvin? He was a member, wasn't he?

Hulk Hogan :wacko:

RVD

Diamond Dallas Page

My top three favorite wrestlers.

Best thing about old school WWF was the corny heels.

Isaac Yankem DDS

NAILZ

Papa Shango

Gangrel the Vampire and the Brood (Edge and Christian)

Iron Sheik

Honky Tonk Man

Haystacks....YES!

Uncle Elmer and Cousin Junior....No.

But how about:

Mitsu Arakawa,

Bobo Brazil

Verne Gagne

Nick Bockwinkle

Ivan Koloff

Blackjack Lanza

Wilbur Snyder

Billy Red Cloud

Dr. X (The first masked wrestler?)

In the late 50's/early 60's my Bro and I would watch them on Sat. nite. My mom used to make us Steak Tartare for the matches. Mmmmmmmmm!

How can you beat red meat and wrestling? :wacko:

who was the old guy that used to pull a brass ring from his sock or a stick and gouge out his opponents eyes?

who was the old guy that used to pull a brass ring from his sock or a stick and gouge out his opponents eyes?

Ursa

Reading back thru this, I can't believe no one mentioned Mick Foley/Mankind. Was involved in one of the greatest matches ever.

I liked his Cactus Jack character best. His "No Holds Barred" matches with Terry were epic.