[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Williams story

Randall

This O could be a lot more exciting this year.

Seahawks

Jaguars' Reggie Williams right on schedule

By Chris Cluff

Seattle Times staff reporter

KIRKLAND — For three years at the University of Washington, Reggie ruled. The Huskies' mascot is King Redoubt, but their record-setting receiver was king, no doubt.

After becoming the school's career leader in receptions and yards, Reggie Williams left UW after his junior season, was drafted ninth overall by the Jaguars last year, and headed to Jacksonville with visions of grandeur — boldly predicting Pro Bowls and Super Bowls.

But in the time it took to run the out route from college football to the NFL, Williams went from superstar to subpar. He went from stud to dud, from one of college football's most dominant receivers to just another struggling NFL rookie.

Williams, who had always made playing football seem so easy, found himself learning hard lessons.

This year, with the help of a new offense, the Jaguars think he will apply what he has learned and show some of his old star power — beginning Sunday against the Seahawks.

At UW, Williams was known for his speed and hands. In Jacksonville last season, he was known for a lack of both. He did not fit in Bill Musgrave's conservative West Coast scheme, often struggling to get off the line of scrimmage and run the right routes.

Sunday

Seattle at Jacksonville,

10 a.m., Ch. 13

Despite starting 15 games, he finished with just 27 catches for 268 yards (9.9 yards per catch) and one touchdown — a big drop from what many expected after he set UW career records with 238 catches for 3,536 yards and the Jaguars gave him an $11 million signing bonus in a five-year contract.

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio was neither surprised nor disheartened by Williams' performance.

"I think you see it every year," Del Rio said. "Guys come in that are taken high, and all the hype that goes on with the draft and all the money they get paid and things, I think expectations can kind of get out of whack.

"It's important for these young men to have a chance to develop, and he is working on that," Del Rio added. "The key things that I look for: Is he smart? Is he tough? Does he have good work ethic? Does he have physical ability? And the answer to all of those is yes."

Williams also has retained his confidence.

He has spent practices working on new touchdown dances — irritating some defensive teammates.

After catching a touchdown pass in one practice, he danced and told the young defensive back he had beaten, "Don't try me."

A few plays later, the same defender pulled a ball out of Williams' hands for an interception, and defensive players yelled back mockingly, "Don't try me."

Williams' bit of immaturity sometimes tries the patience of his coaches. But he is just 22, and Del Rio thinks he is ready to come of age.

"Now it's just a matter of the maturity and the work that needs to be put in," the third-year coach said. "As long as you have the work ethic, I just believe that guys like that will just continue to get better and better. And that's why we see the upside."

By all accounts, Williams has worked hard this offseason for his second coming-out party and figures to be a big part of the more diversified and aggressive offense installed by Carl Smith, the former USC quarterbacks coach who replaced Musgrave after the Jags averaged a franchise-low 16.3 points in 2004.

Williams is one of four first- or second-year receivers in a unit that is headlined by 36-year-old Jimmy Smith and includes 2005 first-round pick Matt Jones.

The 6-foot-4 Williams lost 10 pounds after last season and is listed at 214. And he made great catches throughout training camp.

"He's had a great offseason," Del Rio said. "He's worked his butt off. ... I think he's more excited about the offense and how he's being utilized, and it's just all added up to a much more productive offseason. Our anticipation is he's going to be a fine football player for us."

I'm high on this guy too (as a deep sleeper mind you), but I do have some concern about that freak of nature Matt Jones passing him on the depth chart at some point.

975112[/snapback]

I dunno... I was watching some rookie special on ESPN last night.

Matt Jones doesn't seem like an every down kind of guy. He's huge, but I don't think he has any breakaway speed. He seemed best at jump balls in the end zone or maybe 10-15 yards downfield on the sidelines.

Because of his size and abilities, I don't see him going long for the home run or going across the middle for an easy catch, or any of the other things you need to do to be an every down receiver. But, he may get a healthy dose of TDs.

He's could be like a tall white Leroy Hoard. :D

So far......I haven't seen much about Reggie to get to overly excited about.

The real question is can Leftwich "break out" this season. Because so far....I can't see enough offense for the rushing game, Smith, Williams AND Jones to ALL have big seasons unless Byron steps it up a notch and a half.

He runs a 4.4 40, he doesn't need breakaway speed.

Reggie is a bust until proven otherwise.

975694[/snapback]

OK, this is just stupider than some of the stuff RanDULL posts over on the tailgate. Just because of the rookie stats he's a bust? And how many rookies, aside from the occasional freak of nature like Moss or so, have stellar, studlike rookie seasons?

Man, you really deserve to sell fishing tackle at Kmart and live in a single-wide trailer, don't you?

OK, this is just stupider than some of the stuff RanDULL posts over on the tailgate.  Just because of the rookie stats he's a bust?  And how many rookies, aside from the occasional freak of nature like Moss or so, have stellar, studlike rookie seasons?

Man, you really deserve to sell fishing tackle at Kmart and live in a single-wide trailer, don't you?

976235[/snapback]

Here we go...

These are rookie WR's stats from about 1995/1996 to present (at least the ones who have put up decent stats during that time). Starting oldest to most recent.

Player - receptions - yards - tds

Galloway - 67 - 1039 - 7

Kennison - 54 - 924 - 9

Harrison - 64 - 836 - 8

Glenn - 90 - 1132 - 6

Keyshawn - 63 - 844 - 8

Holt - 52 - 788 - 6

Moss - 69 - 1313 - 17

Chambers - 48 - 883 - 7

A Bryant - 44 - 733 - 6

C Johnson - 66 - 976 - 4

Boldin - 101 - 1377 - 8

Roy Williams - 54 - 817 - 8

Michael Clayton - 80 - 1193 - 7

so there have been 3 rookies who have caught more balls than Moss in the last decade, 1 who has had more yards, and none who have more tds ...

Moss and Boldin are also the only ones from this list who were sent to the Pro Bowl their rookie year

so chances that there is another Moss type season is slim ... something that is equally impressive is that Moss made the jump from a MAC school to NFL so quick ... the MAC is underrated it seems, but still to jump that much of a difference in competition and still be able to put up those numbers was truly amazing.

I still hope Jones lights it up for a few games (as long as they are the ones where he is not on my bench).

Galloway - 67 - 1039 - 7

Kennison - 54 - 924 - 9

Harrison - 64 - 836 - 8

Glenn - 90 - 1132 - 6

Keyshawn - 63 - 844 - 8

Holt - 52 - 788 - 6

Moss - 69 - 1313 - 17

Chambers - 48 - 883 - 7

A Bryant - 44 - 733 - 6

C Johnson - 66 - 976 - 4

Boldin - 101 - 1377 - 8

976364[/snapback]

That averages out to be:

65.538 receptions

988.846 yards

7.769 TDs

Kind of makes Williams' 27 catches for 268 yards and 1 TD look pretty weak.

He runs a 4.4 40, he doesn't need breakaway speed.

Reggie is a bust until proven otherwise.

975694[/snapback]

That's true. Last year he was one, let's see what happens this year. He needs to show something on the field. The new offense looks promising but he needs to show what he can do. Leftwich does too.

Here we go...

These are rookie WR's stats from about 1995/1996 to present (at least the ones who have put up decent stats during that time).  Starting oldest to most recent.

Player - receptions - yards - tds

Galloway - 67 - 1039 - 7

Kennison - 54 - 924 - 9

Harrison - 64 - 836 - 8

Glenn - 90 - 1132 - 6

Keyshawn - 63 - 844 - 8

Holt - 52 - 788 - 6

Moss - 69 - 1313 - 17

Chambers - 48 - 883 - 7

A Bryant - 44 - 733 - 6

C Johnson - 66 - 976 - 4

Boldin - 101 - 1377 - 8

976364[/snapback]

You have Chad Johnson's rookie stats wrong, which were actually 28/329/1. Also, this is definitely selective use of statistics being that you've excluded certain stud WRs who don't support immediate success for WRs, who may in fact take time to become 1000+ yard WRs. Immediate WR success is far from the rule. Since the analysis should be "is it possible for a guy to look like a turd his rookie year and still be a potential top 10 FF WR?" I'd look at the top 10 FF WRs over the past few seasons and include:

Ike Bruce: 21 - 272 - 3

Hines Ward: 15 - 246 - 0

Jimmy Smith: 22 - 228 - 3

Joe Horn: 2 - 30 - 0

Eric Moulds: 20 - 279 - 2

Javon Walker: 23 - 319 - 1

Terrell Owens: 35 - 540 - 4

Reggie Wayne: 27 - 345 - 0

Derrick Mason: 14 - 186 - 0

Other guys who played less than 7 games as rookies I'll even take their 2nd season:

Keenan McCardell: 13 - 234 - 4

Amani Toomer: 16 - 263 - 1

Bottom line, if you look at top 10 FF WRs, they are just as likely to have been turds as rookies as ho-hum WRs, and far more likely to have been turds than immediate top 20 WRs such as Moss, Boldin, Clayton.

Edited by BigJim

so chances that there is another Moss type season is slim ... something that is equally impressive is that Moss made the jump from a MAC school to NFL so quick ... the MAC is underrated it seems, but still to jump that much of a difference in competition and still be able to put up those numbers was truly amazing.

976364[/snapback]

Well keep in mind Moss was going to Notre Dame until he beat some kid's head into cement.

THEN he got bounced out of Florida State before ever playing for something so bad he couldn't play on a Bobby Bowden team. I don't know what specifically....

That's how he ended up at Marshall - with Pennington.

Well keep in mind Moss was going to Notre Dame until he beat some kid's head into cement.

THEN  he got bounced out of Florida State before ever playing for something so bad he couldn't play on a Bobby Bowden team. I don't know what specifically....

That's how he ended up at Marshall - with Pennington.

976506[/snapback]

While redshirting at FL State he tested positive for Josh Gordon.

This entire discussion is irrelevant as long as Leftwich is under center.

Trust a Jags homer on this one: Leftwich is a borderline NFL starter at best. I give him this year and possibly one more as a starter before the Jags finally throw in the towel. After that, he will spend the rest of his career as a NFL backup.

I don't think you can use stats to project the development of second year players. Yes, it's an indicator, but by that method, Lee Evans is the next Jerry Rice.

I like what Del Rio says about Williams being smart and having a good work ethic, but that seems to conflict with that little "Don't try me" quip.

I also didn't hear much in that article about him sitting down and watching a lot of film, studying and learning/practicing running good routes. I think it's great he's worked out, but he's already a great specimen, he needs to work out his noodle.

Thanks for the Leftwich opinion. I really think this season is make-or-break for him. Another player akin to Williams, all the ability, but can he learn to pick up the coverage and find the open receiver quickly enough. I hoping his 10 INTs last year are a good sign, we'll see.

To capsulize what I think I see here:

Based on rookie stats..Williams is a bust(so far)? Balogna!!!

Could care less what he did last year....gotta look what the Jags did this year and what Williams has done to improve...all indicators point ---upsdie IMO....Believe Reggis Williams unlike Peerless Price thrives as a #1...not #2....believe he will make vast improvement this year--will triple even quadruple his yards of last year...and Jimmy Smith will be hard pressed to maintain the #1 position...also believe as noted before...Leftwich, the running game and offensive play selection(vertical passing) has to increase and improve in order for Williams to get Fantasy starter stats...the future of the Jags is in Williams and Matt Jones....obviously the Huddle think tank is showing signs in their projections that Leftwich is up to the task with their 270 yards- 3 TD projections vs. Seahawks--also projecting 3 different WR's--Williams, Smith and Jones getting the TD's.....tomorrow will settle a lot of opinions....right now Williams makes my roster as a 5th WR based on 2004 stats and a 4th WR as an "upside" WR.... :D