[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Tice has officially lost me...

Chadman

I swear to God, and I know other Purple Homers will back me up on this, he said this in his Monday press conference:

"I sat out Michael Bennett to start the game to calm him down."

Let me get this straight. You go to great lengths to be the only person in camp to support Michael Bennett as the starting running back after his dismal performance. You go out of your way to name him the starter for week one. Then, you script the first few plays and the third play is designed for him. So, you then sit him down to start the game to calm him down. The veteran running back who you support and think gives you the best chance to win - you need to sit him down to calm him down for two plays before his number is called.

Okay, I'm really clear on the Vikings RB situation now... :D

So, how good did the Vikings coaching staff look against Chucky and Monte yesterday? Chucky was masterful. Mikey was, well, Mikey.

The man is mystifying. Can you imagine what the players must think sometimes? Just think about what he comes up with on the fly, if he had time to figure out the Bennett plan for game one!

All this concern was quickly erased for me, though, as he explained that the Vikes simply had a lot of work to do, they will study the film, and QUICKLY fix the problems. Thank God he has things under control. For a minute there, I thought we were going to miss the Super Bowl again this season. :D

WOW!

He will be the first coach fired this year. Normally, I wouldn't think they would do it in the middle of the year, but they just might have to... With all that talent on both sides of the ball, if they don't make the playoffs in a very week division, he should never get another head coaching job on any level. Hell, with all of the (unintentional) funny sh*t he says, he should be a studio commentator, except he has no expert/practical knowledge of the game. :D

I don't know if Tice will admit it, but I think this has a lot to do with rewarding Moe for being the only healthy RB throughout the pre-season.

That doesn't mean I think it was a good decision or anything like that, but Tice is sick to death of players that won't play through injuries. He was sending a message to the rest of the team.

I don't know if Tice will admit it, but I think this has a lot to do with rewarding Moe for being the only healthy RB throughout the pre-season.

That doesn't mean I think it was a good decision or anything like that, but Tice is sick to death of players that won't play through injuries.  He was sending a message to the rest of the team.

985171[/snapback]

Moe could actually be pretty good if Tice would stick with him. Tice's brain needs a re-charge. Maybe that pencil slipped once too often.

LOL at all the well informed posters blaming the Vikings troubles on the absence of Moss.

Matt Birk's injury is the real issue with the offense.

985173[/snapback]

LOL at all the people who made the case that the Vikings would be better without Randy Moss, and who will now spend the rest of the season making excuses for why they're not.

LOL at all the people who made the case that the Vikings would be better without Randy Moss, and who will now spend the rest of the season making excuses for why they're not.

985293[/snapback]

If the Vikings had any semblance of a decent O-line, they very well could be better without Randy Moss. Granted it would take some time to get to that point.

It's easy to point to Randy and say there's the problem.

Look a little deeper and you have hugh o-line problems and a new o-coordinator.

I said it then, and I'll say it now.  Trading Moss was a hugh mistake.

985356[/snapback]

How could it not be? :D Talent like that isn't known for growing on trees. And the "cancer" thing is pretty overstated, IMO. I don't think he was the world's best teammate, but by far not the worst either.

Maybe it's just a shade too comfy in Minnesota?

If it didn't hurt so much as a Viking fan, this would be hilarious.

First, Randy is blamed for all the Vikings problems when clearly it was the utter lack of a defense.

Now some fans blame the Vikings for trading Randy, when the real problems are the o-line and a new coordinator's growing pains.

:D

If it didn't hurt so much as a Viking fan, this would be hilarious.

First, Randy is blamed for all the Vikings problems when clearly it was the utter lack of a defense.

Now some fans blame the Vikings for trading Randy, when the real problems are the o-line and a new coordinator's growing pains.

:D

985408[/snapback]

Not that the facts matter, but I, for one, never attributed "all the Vikings problems" to Randy Moss. What I did suggest was that the team was better with Moss than without him, which is a no-brainer really.

At any rate, now at least we'll find out how good a QB Culpepper really is. Is he better than Jeff George, Gus Frerotte, or the old Randall Cunningham? Randy Moss made all of them look like better quarterbacks than they were, and I suspect the same is true of Culpepper as well.

One thing's for sure, old Daunte can turn it over with the best of them . . .

Can anyone explain to me why they seemingly almost never ran the ball at all?  Bennett had what 5 carries, and Moore zero?  wt-f??

985842[/snapback]

It was the worst I have ever seen an offensive line play. Even on pass plays, Duante would take 3 step drop and he would have somebody in his face. They just could not get it done. I think they had 66 total yards the 1st half and made some adjustments after halftime, but it was not enough. They almost pulled it out though.

It was the worst I have ever seen an offensive line play. Even on pass plays, Duante would take 3 step drop and he would have somebody in his face. They just could not get it done.

985860[/snapback]

Ditto for me. Really painful to watch that game. Losing Birk looked like it was going to be difficult to overcome and I think yesterday confirmed it emphatically. The O really looked like a group that was 1)missing two of its best players 2)had no gameplan because 3) coaching(or lack thereof) sucked once again.

Neither Tice nor Loney belong calling the shots in the NFL. But if they are to remain in place, I beg that they get a new O line coach so Loney can get his ass up in the booth (where all other O coordinators sit) so they can better view the game and make adjustments to what the defense is doing.

I find it laughable that people come out after week one of the season, and can say that ANYthing done to improve a football team is measurable overall. Randy Moss would not have been much of a factor had he been lining up for the Vikes in game one, as Culpepper did not have more than 3 seconds to make a decision most of the time in that game. The offensive line (which has no measure good or bad considering Moss) was horrible. There were many times last season the Vikes could not score WITH Moss in the lineup due to mistakes, penalties, a lack of depth on the OL, etc. The Chiefs RB's could not have gained 50 yards in that game behind that OL. Maybe not 30. Nobody could have. You guys seem to forget the Purple was going up against what could be a Top 3 defense this season. The Bucs have been Top 5 for the past three years, and could even be better this season. Could that have any affect on things? Nah...let's blame it all on Moss being gone. What a joke. How interested would Moss have been in that game, since Pep could not have gotten him more than a handful of short tosses early in the game? I think we all know the answer to that one.

Let's examine some facts about the Vikings before and after Moss. Did the Vikings ever go to the Super Bowl with Moss? No. Did they miss the playoffs repeatedly with Moss? Has the defense been laughable during the Moss era? Essentially, and for the most part, definitely. Could they go to a Super Bowl with the defense they had before Moss? No. So, if that is your measure of success...mediocrity and a team who usually had to score 40 points to win - and even then couldn't many times - and not make the playoffs...then just revel in what the past few years brought you.

Trading Moss freed up extra salary that allowed them to sign Darren Sharper, Fred Smoot, Pat Williams, Sam Cowart, Napoleon Harris and draft a receiver that could some day soon give them a deep threat with the speed Moss provided. Maybe. He'll not be a Moss, ever, we know that. But he could be very good, most experts agree. With a good OL, the offense should have been excellent. And it still probably will be. Who knew the Whizzinator was gonna do something that stupid? Who knew Birk would go down for the season? The offense with those two problems would have been worse WITH Moss, too, considering the matchup and how this all came together. With the additional defensive players, the defense is DRASTICALLY upgraded. We saw evidence of that in game one. And it will get better. Maybe much better. And it will keep games close, and not force the offense to score 40 points - and then still sometimes lose!

Funny. This preseason after Moss was gone, most experts said the Vikings were Super Bowl contenders. Some picked them to win it. Most everyone said they were better. The mood in camp was excited, and better. This had not been the case to such an extent WITH Moss. You didn't hear that kind of talk before. And we still don't know how they will end up this season. Or in the future.

Think how good the defense could be next season with the addition of a star linebacker. Maybe add a nice running back, if necessary. How about adding a good darn head coach! They are on the right track. With the new owner, it seems he wants to strive for excellence. I think they've made big strides to get there, without Moss. I couldn't be happier about it. And I will say now, and in the future, that this TEAM is better without Randy Moss. And that's what the conversation should be about. The TEAM overall.

Edited by Chadman

And I would agree with you guys that are questioning the coaching changes. The thing that really bugs me is sitting here listening to both Tice and Loney speak. Loney is the slowest speaker, and seems to say less than anyone I've heard for a while in the profession. The thought of him reacting, speaking quickly to make decisions, etc., is not promising to me. They both sound, frankly, dumb.

I did see where they have hired former OL man Corbin Lacina to help out with the OL. Maybe that can free up Loney more. I'm also wondering about the possibility of signing David Dixon for another year. If his knee is at all healthy, maybe they could bring the guy back. It would have to help. Now we hear Bryant McKinnie has a sprained foot. The quality and depth of the line is a real problem, period. And I'd say an oversight by the coaching staff.