[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bench DD for Larry J?

i_am_the_swammi

assuming Larry is good to go Sunday night against a dreadful Raider rush defense (though the Roaf loss concerns me a bit), is he a better FF producer than DD against the Steelers?

I will be starting Dillon/Julius at my main two RB spots....this would be for my flex spot. I am also considering Stokely or Kennison here, since both their games should be shoot-outs.

Thanks!

Performance League, start (2) QBs, RBs, WRs, one flex, (1) TE, K, & DEF:

QB: Leftwich, Delhomme, McNair, Rattay

RB: Dillon, J. Jones, D. Davis, L. Johnson, Taylor

WR: Moss, J. Smith, Kennison, R. Smith, Stokely

TE: Gonzo, Stevens

K: Brown, Carney

D: Dallas, Vikings

LJ is going to get 8-10 touches a week. That's it. I think starting him when you have other options, like your #1 draft pick Domanick Davis, you have to keep LJ on your bench.

989217[/snapback]

Yeah, but Pitt has a better D than Buffalo does, and Houston looked terrible against Buffalo. I'm in the same scenario, and I'm wondering if 10 carries from LJ would be worth more than 30 carries from DD given the matchups. I usually subscribe to the "always start your studs" theory, but LJ looked a lot more studly against a better defense than he'll face this week than DD did against a defense that's not as tough as the one who he'll face this week...

""I usually subscribe to the "always start your studs" theory, but LJ looked a lot more studly against a better defense than he'll face this week than DD did against a defense that's not as tough as the one who he'll face this week...""

I'm thinking the same thing....DD is a sure starter 90% of the time, but if there ever is a time to deviate, wouldn't it be Sunday Night, primetime, for LJ against a lousy Raider rush defense? If he can average 6.0 per carry, and Davis averages his usual 3.0 per carry, wouldn't LJ's 10 carries equal DD's 20? And don't tell me DD will get 30 carries this week...they won't have enough sustained drives to have that many snaps.

Or, since this is my flex spot, should I just shelve both of them and go with Stokely in what surely will be a shoot-out in Indy? I see the Colts putting up 30+ points, and Stokely should at least get his yards.

Hmmmm.... :D

Johnson will split carries with Priest. Davis will not split carries with anyone. That should answer your question. And BTW, Buffalo's "D" is pretty good, and IMHO, in the same league as Pitisfulburg. JMO.

990698[/snapback]

Yeah, but does it matter if the carries are split in KC if DDavis only gets 10 carries total because Houston is down bad early on?

I'm benching DD for LJ this week. It's just an ugly matchup. After that, the Texans schedule softens up a bit.

And as I've been trying to tell people throughout the preseason, 8 to 10 touches for a back like LJ in an offense like the Chiefs' is worth 20 to 25 touches for the average back in the average offense.

I am starting LJ for DD. My reasoning is that in addition to facing a very tough matchup for DD, LJ is going to be in a Sunday Night division battle with a lot of intensity against a weak defense.

Beside all of that is that fact that I will be watching LJ, and if he goes off I'll be really pissed for the whole week. Good Luck.

I love LJ. I had him last year after Priest went down, and he was great. He's better back than Priest (and it's not that Priest isn't great)

I think (and hope given my team) that Davis has a better week this week than last, but if I had LJ I think I'd go with him.

the one thing you want to look out for is his recent legal trouble. if that gets to be an issue, or if the Chiefs bench him for a game in response, well, yeah, don't start him. but if he plays, go for it.

LJ is going to get 8-10 touches a week. That's it. I think starting him when you have other options, like your #1 draft pick Domanick Davis, you have to keep LJ on your bench.

989217[/snapback]

L. Johnson 9 carries 110 yds 2 tds 35 longest carry :D

10 touches vs. the raiders def. will likely produce the same. start him. DD could turn in a "good" performance, like 25 carries 110 yds 1 td....at best. LJ could do less, but offers far greater upside. I like to swing for the fences, this early in the season, considering the matchups.

MGM

Not bashing DD...when I picked him in the draft, I got him for the year. But you have to be somewhat realistic, too.

If you expect him to be a 1400-yard/14 TD guy, you have to beleive he is going to have some monster games, and some less than stellar games. It all averages out.

That being said, I have a hunch two of his "below average" games are last week, and this week. He'll have some monsters down the road, but I like to pick the player that gives me the best chance of winning, not the "safe" play.

I just have a hunch LJ or Stokely might be better in my flex spot than DD, for this week anyway.

Thanks in adavnce to all for the great feedback! Good Stuff!

:D

I usually subscribe to the "always start your studs" theory....

989263[/snapback]

One cannot "usually" subscribe to the ASYS theory. If you subscribe to it, then you always start your studs. If you do not, then you look for reasons to rationalize benching your studs.

My advice would be to start the player who actually has a starting job in the NFL.

One cannot "usually" subscribe to the ASYS theory.  If you subscribe to it, then you always start your studs.  If you do not, then you look for reasons to rationalize benching your studs.

My advice would be to start the player who actually has a starting job in the NFL.

993322[/snapback]

I agree. There have been some interesting points made in this thread, and in one of my leagues, I also have DD and LJ ... I'm sticking with Davis this week. Especially if you get points per reception, I think Davis is the better choice.

One cannot "usually" subscribe to the ASYS theory.  If you subscribe to it, then you always start your studs.  If you do not, then you look for reasons to rationalize benching your studs.

993322[/snapback]

Well, I usually subscribe to ASYS, but I always subscribe to playing the players who are going to score me the most points. I have a hard time believing that Davis, in a weak offense, against the dominating Pittsburgh D, is the player on my roster who will score me the most points...

Well, I usually subscribe to ASYS, but I always subscribe to playing the players who are going to score me the most points.  I have a hard time believing that Davis, in a weak offense, against the dominating Pittsburgh D, is the player on my roster who will score me the most points...

993508[/snapback]

Then you don't consider DD a stud. That's a different argument.

I'm not sure I consider him a stud either. I've had him in my dynasty league for a couple of years but this year I'm starting Rudi and JJ ahead of him. But there is no way I'd start a part-time player ahead of him.

Then you don't consider DD a stud.  That's a different argument.

I'm not sure I consider him a stud either.  I've had him in my dynasty league for a couple of years but this year I'm starting Rudi and JJ ahead of him.  But there is no way I'd start a part-time player ahead of him.

993563[/snapback]

Well, I did consider him a stud until he got smacked down by Buffalo this past week. He was an early pick, but he's my RB3 at the moment; Dillon and Cadillac are my RB1 and RB2 until further notice. I'm considering him for my RB/WR flex. Of course, given my options, I might be better off with using Kennison or Branch as a flex player and avoiding both DD and LJ completely.

I just hate leaving points on my bench...

Edited by Slusy

Fpund these gems this week from "Ask the Commish"....looks like another "expert" thinking it might be good to wait on DD for another two weeks (he's on the bye next week). Notice the number of carries they expect from DD...only 17...just as I suspected above...there just ain't gonna be very many long, sustained drives for the Texans. Ah, to hell with it...I'm starting Stokely!

Sit Domanick Davis vs Pittsburgh

Davis had 14 carries for 48 yards and only two catches for nine yards last week. This week he plays the Steelers, whose Defense looked solid in week one. This could be a rocky start for Double D owners. If you have another option consider sitting them one more week. Yeah, we know...he was your first round or early second round pick, but considering how horrible the Texans' offense has played you should consider benching him. He'll come around, but probably not this week.

Player Expected Output

Att. Yards Rec. Rec. Yards TDs

17 60 2 10 0

Start Larry Johnson vs Oakland

Now that we've seen how KC will handle the running game, we feel that LJ would be a solid play even if he only nets 10-12 touches per game. He should fare well against a suspect Raider defense this week. As for the legal allegations, they'll probably work themselves out without LJ having to miss any playing time and the bad press might just make him that much hungrier. As we told you in the Holmes write-up above, if you own them both you could get away with starting both of these talented RBs.

Player Expected Output

Att. Yards Rec. Yards TDs

12 85 3 25 1

I have both LJ and DD. I'm starting LJ and actually am considering sitting DD for Ronnie Brown of all players. (Am I nuts? :D )

Lot's of good posts on this one and valid arguments each way.

Guess I'd agree about the Pittsburg D though. They come out early and often in the season and as said LJ's 10 touches are like 15-20 for another in this game.

I'd start LJ. Good Luck