[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Edge Debate

NavinRJohnson

The Edge Debate

First of all, full disclaimer: I've had him the past 2 years and I hate him (purely from an FFL prospective, of course).

I've suffered irreversible psychological damage resulting from 'play action from the one' and his inability to score TDs. I hold him personally responsible for my FFL woes in the past two years (certainly my expert drafting in the other 17 rounds can't be to blame :D )

Question 1: If you had Edge last year, how'd you finish in your league?

Question 2: If you had Edge last year, do you have him again this year?

The Edge Debate

First of all, full disclaimer:  I've had him the past 2 years and I hate him (purely from an FFL prospective, of course).

I've suffered irreversible psychological damage resulting from 'play action from the one' and his inability to score TDs.  I hold him personally responsible for my FFL woes in the past two years (certainly my expert drafting in the other 17 rounds can't be to blame  :D  )

Question 1:  If you had Edge last year, how'd you finish in your league?

Question 2:  If you had Edge last year, do you have him again this year?

994643[/snapback]

1. I lost in my SB with Edge being the # 6 overall RB in my 12 team even though he missed game 16, played like 3 plays.

2. I do and expect him to be a top 5ish RB again

Edit to add TD's, yards, who cares unless you are in a TD only league. A top 5ish RB is a top 5ish RB and equals a stud in my book. And a top 5ish RB with only 9 TD's says if he can add even 2 or 3 more TD's he'll be top 3ish.

Edited by giantsfan

1. I owned Edge in a 10-team league last year that I finished in 3nd place.

2. I don't own him again this year, but I would gladly. Chances are he scores a couple of more TDs this year and even last year when he only had 9, his yardage totals from week to week helped him put up among the most consitent numbers of any RB, that is to say he gave you something decent every week. The league I owned him in awarded both PPR and yardage bonuses (at 100 yards rushing, 150 yards rushing, etc.) and I believe he was the #5 RB overall in that scoring system.

I owned him last year. Finished 3rd, knocked out in semifinals by the eventual champ that had the highest scoring overall team. I had #3 scoring team, just 20 points behind #1 team. Edge had what I consider a good year - although he never had a huge game, but he always showed up in the score.

I have him again this year. If he performed the same as last season, I would be happy.

Finished 3rd with him last year. I can understand your frustration, but he's still a really solid back. He also tends to pick up some nice "bullshiet" yards at the end of games, and he's always heavily involved in the offense.

He does not work well as a "stud." You need another top 15 RB to work with him.

1. I had him in two leagues last year. I lost in the Championship game in one and lost in the first round of the playoffs in the other.

2. Didn't have a chance to draft him in one and was offered a trade for him in another I couldn't turn down.

I would love to have Edge, he is one of my favorite players and in one league I have had him every year since his rookie year (drafted him as a rookie and I still hold the scoring record for most points scored in a year and also won the championship which could be the reason for my fondness). I also own an Edge jersey. :D

Edited by Men In Tights

I had him last year and finished 8 out of 11, I had a ton of injuries though. I have him again this year but I also have LT, I got edge with the last pick of the 2nd round in a 8 team league. I also have Cadillac and Benson as well.

994651[/snapback]

What? Edge with the 16th pick?

As a #1 RB, likely chosen by pick #6 in most 12-teamers, 25 carries for 87 yards every week ain't gonna cut it. I know there were exceptions both higher and lower, but that's what he seemed to give me every darn week last year. :D

As a #1 RB, likely chosen by pick #6 in most 12-teamers, 25 carries for 87 yards every week ain't gonna cut it. I know there were exceptions both higher and lower, but that's what he seemed to give me every darn week last year. :D

995125[/snapback]

I don't know I guess I'm missing something. Bottom line is in every league except for TD only leagues he is a top 5ish RB and isn't that the bottom line? I know he is VERY frustrating but the final #'s are the bottom line. See I think why some people are down on him is they see all the short TD's Manning gets and say man if Edge only got even half of those he'd be the top RB not just top 5ish. Well I say forget about that and focus on the end results which are a top 5ish RB which spells stud to me.

That's exactly right and the reason I couldn't pass him up. You have to start 3WR's in this league and a TE as well so they are trying to take the emphasis off of the RB's

995195[/snapback]

hmmmm. You have Edge in a league de-emphasizing RBs and he's your #2 RB! Congrats.

:D:D You don't count! :D Everyone would take him at 16 as their #2 RB!

Won an 8-team league with him last year -- got him this year with the #7 pick -- understand he probably won't have monster games, but get good consistency (have to live with the tough matchups these first two weeks) but weeks 4 - 7 look promising. Could have won week 1 if he'd have gotten a touchdown.

995125[/snapback]

No offense, but either your memory is short or you and others are choosing to focus on only what he didn't do last year (score a ton of TDs) and ignoring all the things that he did do (still scored a respectable amount of TDs and racked up a ton of yardage). There were only 2 games last season in which Edge didn't eclipse 87 total yards, and a large majority of his games were not just higher, but considerably so. One was Week 3 vs. Green Bay when he finished with 79 total yards and the other was Week 17 @ Denver where he only had 1 carry in the game and really doesn't even count for fantasy purposes.

Now I realize you more were referring to his rushing totals (speaking of which he rushed for 1,548 yards last year, good enough for 4th in the NFL), but you can't ignore the fact that he is also actively involved in the Colt's passing game. Even if you're not in a league that awards points for recpetions, you still get points for his receiving yardage of which he racked up 483 yards last year, more than all but 3 other RBs in the NFL (Tiki, Domanick Davis and Brian Westbrook). His 2,031 total yards last season were second in the NFL to Tiki Barber who had 2,096 total yards.

The bottom line is, other than the 2 games that I mentioned above, Week 15 @ Baltimore was the only other game all season long where Edge was held under 100 total yards (he had 92) - that's the kind of consistent excellence that Edge brings to the table that few other RBs can. It's also the kind of consistency that in my opinion makes him a top 5 RB in any scoring system.

Edited by Skrappy1

No offense, but either your memory is short or you and others are choosing to focus on only what he didn't do last year (score a ton of TDs) and ignoring all the things that he did do (still scored a respectable amount of TDs and racked up a ton of yardage).  There were only 2 games last season in which Edge didn't eclipse 87 total yards, and a large majority of his games were not just higher, but considerably so.  One was Week 3 vs. Green Bay when he finished with 79 total yards and the other was Week 17 @ Denver where he only had 1 carry in the game and really doesn't even count for fantasy purposes.

Now I realize you more were referring to his rushing totals (speaking of which he rushed for 1,548 yards last year, good enough for 4th in the NFL), but you can't ignore the fact that he is also actively involved in the Colt's passing game.  Even if you're not in a league that awards points for recpetions, you still get points for his receiving yardage of which he racked up 483 yards last year, more than all but 3 other RBs in the NFL (Tiki, Domanick Davis and Brian Westbrook).  His 2,031 total yards last season were second in the NFL to Tiki Barber who had 2,096 total yards.

The bottom line is, other than the 2 games that I mentioned above, Week 15 @ Baltimore was the only other game all season long where Edge was held under 100 total yards (he had 92) - that's the kind of consistent excellence that Edge brings to the table that few other RBs can. It's also the kind of consistency that in my opinion makes him a top 5 RB in any scoring system.

995725[/snapback]

the thing with him that I think might be bothersome is the fact that he plays every week and gets the same numbers every week, except where he goes off on one: ala Bears 200 yds...

there are plenty of backs who don't play every week due to either injury, not starting the season as the starter and taking it mid-season or just being in a RB shuffle after a certain amount of weeks...

the teams that win the leagues are usually the ones that get the hot RB down the stretch and have an at least adequate supporting cast and a stud WR or QB to go along with the 2 RB's and a top notch defense....

Now I realize you more were referring to his rushing totals (speaking of which he rushed for 1,548 yards last year, good enough for 4th in the NFL), but you can't ignore the fact that he is also actively involved in the Colt's passing game.

OK, here's his stats from my league last year. Points are not awarded until a player breaks 50 yards. Receiving and Rushing stats are separate.

He had a grand total of 6 point receiving - or the equivalent of 1 TD. For a goal line TD vulture that can be had in the 15th round, he makes that up in one carry. That said, he was still the 8th highest scoring RB in my league. If he's your #1 RB and he's only 8th best in a 12 team league, your RBs are hurtin' - unless he's got lots of help. Although he finished 8th best, he finished 62 points behind the #1 RB, S. Alex, and 62 points ahead of the 27th! RB, Derrick Blaylock.

He was way closer to a mid-tier RB than a top tier RB in my league last season. Those single digit scoring games just killed me. Corey Dillon, the #5 RB in my league had 7 double-digit games in 2004. Edge had 4.

---------------

2004 STATS

Week 1 @NWE

8 points

142 total yards rushing (8 pts)

Week 2 @TEN

19 points

Edgerrin James 4 yard touchdown run (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 30 yard touchdown run (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 124 total yards rushing (7 pts)

Week 3 GNB

7 points

Edgerrin James 1 yard touchdown run (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 62 total yards rushing (1 pts)

Week 4 @JAC

8 points

Edgerrin James 3 yard touchdown run (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 83 total yards rushing (2 pts)

Week 5 OAK

14 points

Edgerrin James 1 yard touchdown run (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 136 total yards rushing (8 pts)

Week 6 < bye > -- --

Week 7 JAC

3 points

Edgerrin James 87 total yards rushing (2 pts)

Edgerrin James 54 yards receiving (1 pts)

Week 8 @KAN

3 points

Edgerrin James 90 yards receiving (3 pts)

Week 9 MIN

8 points

Edgerrin James 123 total yards rushing (7 pts)

Edgerrin James 56 yards receiving (1 pts)

Week 10 HOU

2 points

Edgerrin James 86 total yards rushing (2 pts)

Week 11 @CHI

20 points

Edgerrin James 11 yard touchdown run (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 204 total yards rushing (14 pts)

Week 12 @DET

6 points

Edgerrin James 105 total yards rushing (6 pts)

Playoff Week 1 TEN

18 points

Edgerrin James 4 yard touchdown run (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 12 yard touchdown run (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 105 total yards rushing (6 pts)

Playoff Week 2 @HOU

7 points

Edgerrin James 104 total yards rushing (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 54 yards receiving (1 pts)

Playoff Week 3 BAL

7 points

Edgerrin James 3 yard touchdown run (6 pts)

Edgerrin James 69 total yards rushing (1 pts)

Playoff Week 4 SDG

4 points

Edgerrin James two-point conversion run (2 pts)

Edgerrin James 86 total yards rushing (2 pts)

Playoff Week 5 @DEN 0 None.

Even in your scoring system he was the # 8 RB. And you need to explain to me how the # 8 RB is a mid-tier RB because that I don't get. I think this is all funny stuff because he is a top 5ish RB in just about every league and yet we have these posts on him. That in itself is pretty funny. In my league he was 6. In the above guys league he was 5. I have seen others say he was 4, so I just don't get it, but okay he's mid-tier. And I certainly don't see how in a 12 team league you are hurtin with the # 8 RB. That I don't get. So at least 4 teams have a worse # 1 RB than you and any top 10 RB is a # 1 in any 10 or 12 team league IMO. You want my honest opinion? I think you don't like Edge and are going WAY overboard here and I think you'd even admit that Navin.

Edited by giantsfan

The Edge Debate

First of all, full disclaimer:  I've had him the past 2 years and I hate him (purely from an FFL prospective, of course).

Ditto.

Question 1:  If you had Edge last year, how'd you finish in your league?
6-8. While my opponents had RBs that were going off for 2 or 3 scores, I was getting my 140 combined yards from Edge like clockwork. Whoopee.

Like you, I also had Edge in 2003. I finished 4-10 in spite of also having Moss and Manning on that team. Edge finally decided to show up at the end of the season, but by then it was too late.

Question 2:  If you had Edge last year, do you have him again this year?

994643[/snapback]

Hell, no. The only way I would ever draft him again would be as an RB2, and there are too many other suckers out there that are still happy to blow their first round pick on him.

Mark my words, Ladies and Gentlemen: If Edge does not re-sign with the Colts, he will be a BUST with his new team and Dominick Rhodes will be the next Priest Holmes.

You can plow into the middle of the line for 5 yards and then take a dive when the defense is spread out across the field, but try doing it when you're playing for a team that doesn't have the weapons that the Colts do. That's why he's a lousy goalline back. When the defense is playing the run instead of the pass he can't do jack.

He gets the stats because of the system he's in. You could put Kevan Barlow in that system and he would get the same stats.