[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

So the wife was pissed off at me last night, but the upside was I got to watch Headbanger's Ball for the first time in quite a while.

Now, I love metal as much as the next guy, but so many of these new bands (yeah, I know I'm sounding like an old fart here) sound interchangeable - same tempo shifts, same Cookie Monster on PCP vocals, etc.

Not that I didn't love the riffing and heaviness, but I just couldn't see throwing down good coin for an entire album of more of the same. The two standouts I REALLY liked were Avenged Sevenfold and Downfall. Anyone got any more?

Or, feel free to discuss favorite old-school metal acts; as long as it's about the metal in this thread, it's all good. :bang:

Actually, the whole rap/rock nü-metal movement has pretty well fallen off the map; now the bulk of the stuff on HB was sort of a psuedo-grindcore/sub-Pantera sort of thing.

Actually, the whole rap/rock nü-metal movement has pretty well fallen off the map;

1000137[/snapback]

And thank goodness, one of the oldies that are still around and making something worthwhile are Corrosion of Conformity. I really haven't listened to many of the new bands for reasons you already posted.

And thank goodness, one of the oldies that are still around and making something worthwhile are Corrosion of Conformity.  I really haven't listened to many of the new bands for reasons you already posted.

1000169[/snapback]

Saw C of C on the Motorhead bill earlier this year. They weren't half bad. I do find most recent metal tedious, just bands trying to outdo each other on what loyal Satan slaves they are. ::D

I swore when I was 16 that I still be listening to Aerosmith till the day I died… not too insightful. I don’t listen to head banging music unless I’m working out, but Tool and Rage against the machine make the list. Still a big fan of early grunge, and while you can slam it, the lyrical content in Pearl Jam and Nirvana are excellent. Bands like Poison and Cinderella were more show than anything, and I’d really like to catch a live show when a bunch of washed up metal bands come to town.

As a long time metalhead, there are 2 groups of modern metal I really dig:

The Swedish scene: I am a sucker for loud cruchy guitars with melody, and these band's fit the bill

In Flames - Only for the Weak is a tremendous tune.

Dark Tranquility

Soilwork

Arch Enemy

and on the harder/faster/for aggro side

The Entombed

Hypocrisy

The Haunted

The Biker/Stoner metal scene

Clutch - the absolute Kings!

Black Label Society

Corrosion of Conformity

Sixty Watt Shaman (great but now defunct)

Mastodon - Latest album Leviathan, a Moby Dick concept album (I know!) absolutely rules.

Check 'em out.

Edited by Bonehand

saw Mastodon open for Clutch. Worst band I've ever seen. Couldn't tell one song from another and they were too long. Just noise. Now Clutch on the other hand, rocks

1000627[/snapback]

Hmmmm. How long ago was it? That's very different from my experience. I'll admit their songs are long & somewhat jam-my, but I find them fairly varied in style. Also, I saw them this summer at the Seattle Ozzfest, and they were one of the top bands on the second stage. :D

Well, this is the pile of CD's thats sitting here next to me:

Carnivore - old Peter Steele (Type-O Negative)

Black Sabbath Vol. 4

Bad Brains, Quickness - Rasta metal

S.O.D, Speak English or Die - Has all the riffs original HB'ers Ball used for their crashing building promos and such

Coroner, Mental Vortex...these guys are tight. No More Color is a great album by them

Sick of it All, 3 or 4 different albums....I like them, NY hardcore

D.R.I., 4 of a Kind punkish thrash skateboarder music

Obituary, Cause of Death... yea, there is some death metal I like

Meshuggah, None....Interesting stuff

Primus, Frizzle Fry....their best album IMHO

Pitchshifter, www.pitchshifter.com (thats the name of the album) Industrial metal

Stuck Mojo, Rising... some of their stuff I really like, some I don't

Suicidal Tendencies, Lights..Camera...Revolution , no metal collection is complete without some Suicidal "All I wanted was a pepsi"

Rollins Band, The End Of Silence good ole Henry Rollins

Prong, Cleansing

Exhorder, Slaughter in the Vatican sort of a heavier and more brutal Pantera

Scatterbrain, Here Comes Trouble they do a great cover of Cheech & Chongs, Earache My Eye, theres also a great song entitled Don't Call Me Dude, definately worth a listen. Lead singer is Tommy Christ(was in Ludichrist)

AC/DC Back in Black & For Those About To Rock not metal, but classic

Testament, The New Order

Bolt Thrower, Warmaster grindcore

also in the mix is some Hendrix, Slipknot, King's X, Reel Big Fish, Dance Hall Crashers, and a few others.

Edited by slambo

Of the above, Bad Brains and SOD are bands I like.....althought Scott Ian is somewhat of a liberal spokesman "Speak English or Die" is a CD that the most diehard conservatives here would love....

"They hijack all our planes, they raise our oil prices, let's kill them all and have a ball and end their f*!cking crisis."

Acutally, that makes more sense then the policy we are using now.

Right now, I'm digging progressive metal bands with women lead singers.  Check out Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

Queensryche is coming to the Cites on the 24th and are doing the entire Operation: Mindcrime show plus other classics.  I'm way beyond pumped to see it.  :D

1001874[/snapback]

I am into the more melodic metal (grew up on Iron Maiden and still love em!!) and I just discovered Nightwish a few weeks ago. They are definitely worth a listen. As well as Iced Earth, and Children of Bodom. And for something a bit darker, Cradle of Filth RAWK!!! They do a version of Maiden's Hallowed be Thy Name that is just plain gross.

I am into the more melodic metal (grew up on Iron Maiden and still love em!!) and I just discovered Nightwish a few weeks ago.  They are definitely worth a listen.  As well as Iced Earth, and Children of Bodom.  And for something a bit darker, Cradle of Filth RAWK!!!  They do a version of Maiden's Hallowed be Thy Name that is just plain gross.

1002220[/snapback]

Children of Bodom! :D New album in a couple weeks...

They do a great cover of Maiden's Aces High as well.

Edited by Bonehand

Right now, I'm digging progressive metal bands with women lead singers.  Check out Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

1001874[/snapback]

I'm with GI on the chick from Lacuna Coil. The voice gives me chills. The music is only so-so. I've been digging on Dream Theatre and catching up on all the old Fates Warning. Solid stuff. Still, nothing has forced me to take the Tool out of the 6-CD changer

1001874[/snapback]

If you are into these progressive bands, then you should listen to the girl fronting Epica (albums "The Phantom Agony" and "Consign to Oblivion"). The music is not as crunchingly metal as LC or Nightwish, but a great addition to this brand of excellent music. :D

Edited by CeleryJello

Right now, I'm digging progressive metal bands with women lead singers.

If you can find'em, check out Fear of God, fronted by Dawn Crosby, late 80's early 90's. I think they only put out a couple of albums. I have Within The Veil. She passed away in 1996. I wouldn't call them progressive but definitely worth a listen, here's a website for more info

Dawn Crosby