[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

if by " not necessarily metal" you mean "not metal at all", then I love this inclusion. California Uber Alles is one of the best Punk songs of all time.

With "Too Drunk..." & "Holiday in Cambodia" not far behind. Great stuff!

"Holiday in Cambodia"

Definitely my favorite. A vicious lambasting of effete rich white folks flirting with communism.

So you been to school

For a year or two

And you know youve seen it all

In daddys car

Thinkin youll go far

Back east your type dont crawl

Play ethnicky jazz

To parade your snazz

On your five grand stereo

Braggin that you know

How the ni**ers feel cold

And the slums got so much soul

Its time to taste what you most fear

Right guard will not help you here

Brace yourself, my dear

Its a holiday in cambodia

Its tough, kid, but its life

Its a holiday in cambodia

Dont forget to pack a wife

Youre a star-belly sneech

You suck like a leech

You want everyone to act like you

Kiss ass while you bitch

So you can get rich

But your boss gets richer off you

Well youll work harder

With a gun in your back

For a bowl of rice a day

Slave for soldiers

Till you starve

Then your head is skewered on a stake

Now you can go where people are one

Now you can go where they get things done

What you need, my son.

Is a holiday in cambodia

Where people dress in black

A holiday in cambodia

Where youll kiss ass or crack

Pol pot, pol pot, pol pot, pol pot, etc.

And its a holiday in cambodia

Where youll do what youre told

A holiday in cambodia

Where the slums got so much soul

<<Youre a star-belly sneech

You suck like a leech

You want everyone to act like you

Kiss ass while you bitch

So you can get rich

But your boss gets richer off you>>

one of my favorite verses of any song, ever. Anytime you can reference Dr. Suess in a scathing teardown of the rich is a show of brillliancy.

Anybody ever listen to Jello Biafra's solo collaborations? He did an awesome album with DOA, and it has a 15 minute grinding, ass kicking track on it called "Full Metal Jackoff" about the drug war. If you haven't, this is an absolute must to track down and hear.

Definitely my favorite. A vicious lambasting of effete rich white folks flirting with communism.

Ands it's not just the lyrics. The Pol! Pot!! Breakdown at the end with the rising guitars is absolutely scorching.

ETA: By the way, The import 2 cd version of Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables on Cherry Records is THE version to track down.

Includes a 2nd cd with all the EP singles including Kill the Poor, Too Drunk/Police Truck, & Holiday, w/ b-sides.

Edited by Bonehand

A little more metal for ya: I was able to check out Nile's off-Ozzfest show last Friday here in Seattle and had a freakin' great time.

Full review here for you headbangin' types. :D

Edited by Bonehand

I'm an old metal head, but I just can't take this new stuff.

My wifes best friend has a son who is lead singer in one of the better local bands. We went to see him play last New Years Eve. His band was ok. The guy is a real singer and his band really rocks. But the procession of bands that preceded the main act were a a mind numbing barrage of shouters and hackers. Very painful.

I mean, when Jim Morrison shouted FU to the audience, it was something new. But 40 years later here I am having this 22 year old shout FU at the audience as the main lyrics of the song. How much thought does that take really.

A lot of metal bands back in the day had real singers like Halford and Dio, but not so much now. Just a lot of gutteral bellowing of undistinguishable lyrics.

Yeah, I'm just an old fart I guess, but metal died in about 1990, and I haven't seen a trace of it since.

I'm an old metal head, but I just can't take this new stuff.

My wifes best friend has a son who is lead singer in one of the better local bands. We went to see him play last New Years Eve. His band was ok. The guy is a real singer and his band really rocks. But the procession of bands that preceded the main act were a a mind numbing barrage of shouters and hackers. Very painful.

I mean, when Jim Morrison shouted FU to the audience, it was something new. But 40 years later here I am having this 22 year old shout FU at the audience as the main lyrics of the song. How much thought does that take really.

A lot of metal bands back in the day had real singers like Halford and Dio, but not so much now. Just a lot of gutteral bellowing of undistinguishable lyrics.

Yeah, I'm just an old fart I guess, but metal died in about 1990, and I haven't seen a trace of it since.

This is true up to a point. Far too many bands have gone in for the unintelligible guttural growl in place of vocals. I guess I saw the worst end of that when I went to see Monster Magnet at a small venue here in Minny. MM were outstanding but their support band, the wonderfully named Bongzilla, were just appaling to the point where they were funny.

The vocals wreck Mastodon's otherwise very good Leviathan also and there are any number of Satan wannabes gurgling away instead of producing lyrics to go with the music.

This is true up to a point. Far too many bands have gone in for the unintelligible guttural growl in place of vocals. I guess I saw the worst end of that when I went to see Monster Magnet at a small venue here in Minny. MM were outstanding but their support band, the wonderfully named Bongzilla, were just appaling to the point where they were funny.

The vocals wreck Mastodon's otherwise very good Leviathan also and there are any number of Satan wannabes gurgling away instead of producing lyrics to go with the music.

Certainly the aggessive death metal style of growling vocals has become more prevalent. I'm such a fiend for distorted guitar crunch that I've listened to a lot o' Death Metal over the years, and I kinda got used to it. To your point, it is overdone, and I think a lot of bad bands use the speed, distortion and vocal style of death metal to hide musical shortcomings. But on the other hand (the left hand path?) there are a ton of bands I dig who sing that way, or alternately mix up the growls with clean vocals to add contrast, Mastodon being one of them.

I think there's good and bad in every style of music. I can't say I hate every vocalist that bellows and growls any more than I can say that I loved every Halford-esque wanna be screamer back in the 80's, which was certainly the fashion at that time.

Edited by Bonehand

I think there's good and bad in every style of music. I can't say I hate every vocalist that bellows and growls any more than I can say that I loved every Halford-esque wanna be screamer back in the 80's, which was certainly the fashion at that time.

Good point. I quite liked Halford but he went over the top quite a lot, notably on Sad Wings Of Destiny, an excellent album. I was never a Dio fan either, far too full of himself instead of chaneling the band he was with. Saw him with Black Sabbath and he couldn't carry Ozzie's jock.

I don't think it's necessarily the unintelligibility that bugs me so much as the fact that the Satan voiceover has pretty much been done to death now, as well as the fact that's it's not "sharp". I like my music to be hard edged and exciting, typically, whether by volume, tone, raw emotion, power or whatever, while the gurglers tend to just, well, gurgle.

• 4 months later...
Figured I would revive this thread with a little metal news. :D

Anthrax gets a new singer

I listened to a couple of clips of the guy and he definitely has more of the John Bush vibe going on.....I dig it. Looking forward to some new 'thrax.

I liked John Bush ok but Anthrax is better with Joey singing IMO. Why they can't put their big girl panties on and get along is beyond me.

I liked John Bush ok but Anthrax is better with Joey singing IMO. Why they can't put their big girl panties on and get along is beyond me.

Belladonna is fine on record, but he's weak when it comes to being a frontman - musically he's OK and can handle it, but when he tries to talk to the crowd you can't help but sit there and go "what a tool; SING!"

This new guy definitely has a John Bush vibe.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread has been slumbering Cthulhu-like beneath the polar ice for far too long.

What are your metal picks for this summer? These are the shows I'm hitting:

May 27th Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Divine Heresy, Firewind

June 3rd Dethklok, with Chimaira and Soilent Green

July 18th Summer Slaughter Tour: feat Black Dahlia Murder, w/ Crypstopsy, Vader, The Faceless, etc

July 23rd At the Gates!

:wacko:

This thread has been slumbering Cthulhu-like beneath the polar ice for far too long.

What are your metal picks for this summer? These are the shows I'm hitting:

May 27th Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Divine Heresy, Firewind

June 3rd Dethklok, with Chimaira and Soilent Green

July 18th Summer Slaughter Tour: feat Black Dahlia Murder, w/ Crypstopsy, Vader, The Faceless, etc

July 23rd At the Gates!

:D

Dethklok? Aren't they a spoof band? Down at First Avenue they were showing their short movies between bands. At least, I thought that was the name. :wacko:

Edit: Yep, thought so - pretty funny Wiki article

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Dethklok? Aren't they a spoof band? Down at First Avenue they were showing their short movies between bands. At least, I thought that was the name. :wacko:

Edit: Yep, thought so - pretty funny Wiki article

Dethklok are the stars of an Adult Swim comedy cartoon show called Metalocalypse. Brendon Small , the guy who does the music for the series, is a fantastic musician with a tremendous love of metal. Gene Hoglan of Strapping Young Lad tours with them for their live gigs, which are presented a la Gorillaz.

As an aside, the soundtrack album for the series is hilarious, amazing musically, and preposterously catchy. I recommend it highly.