[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

I am old enough to have seen Lemmy live when he was still with Hawkwind (paired with Simon King, the best driving bass / drums section in the history of music) and I've seen Motorhead 5 times too. That will be 6 next time they drop by Minneapolis. Lemmy is the only rock star I've ever bought a beer for.

They are right - Lemmy IS God.

Edit: BTW, anybody spot Howard Devoto, one of the original founders of the Buzzcocks in the trailer?

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Dead guitarist? That don't stop VoiVod:

OIVOD, who last performed live on August. 28 2003 during OzzFest in Florida, will return to the

stage on June 22nd, 2008 as part of the Heavy MTL Festival in Montreal ( http://www.heavymtl.com )

The band has issued an update regarding their upcoming live appearances.

"A lot has happened since the band's last live appearance. The band had taken time off to begin writing what would become the album Katorz. In April 2005 while the new album was in progress, guitarist Denis 'Piggy' D'Amour became ill before recording began and sadly died of colon cancer. It took awhile to recover from the sudden passing of Denis before Michel 'Away' Langevin, Denis 'Snake' Belanger and Jason 'Jasonic' Newsted could begin to assemble the songs from the demos and create Katorz.

Discussions of a tribute show and possible guitar players for it followed, yet it just did not seem right to perform without Denis, but time does help heal wounds and this summer Voivod feel it is time to perform the music Denis helped create once more.

On June 22, Voivod will perform in Montreal as part of the Heavy MTL festival and July 26th, 2008 in Calgary for the Monsters of Rock festival

( http://www.monstersofrockfestival.com ) with original bass player Jean-Yves Theriault ('Blacky') for the first time in 17 years.

Dan Mongrain from the Quebec band Martyr, a good friend of the band, will play guitar. Songs from the early catalogue will be the focus for these short festival sets. Jason Newsted is still very much part of the Voivod family and is working with the band on the new record (also constructed from the 2004 demos) along with Jean-Yves Theriault and Eric Forrest.

However, Newsted is unable to perform live at this point.

Interesting; if Eric Forrest and Blacky are back in the fold, that gives Voivod a lineup featuring one singer, a singer/bassist, two more bassists, and a drummer - though Newsted is apparently recovering from some fairly serious injuries from trying to catch a falling amp head, which is why he's unable to perform live.

• 2 weeks later...

...and some early reviews

We've heard the album and there's more studio clips inside

Without doubt, the biggest metal event this year is going to be the release of MetallicaÂ’s new album, and everyone at Metal Hammer has been hit with feverish anticipation, having been invited to hear six tracks. Well, we've just gotten back, and we can answer you this:

Is it St Anger? No.

Does it suck? when I wore my first dress no!

Are the solos back? when I wore my first dress yes!

Does it sound like the pre-Load Metallica of yore? Mostly, but while the tracks we've heard call to mind some old albums, most of them clock in around the seven-minute mark, each one containing a number of different sections, so the band don't settle on any one riff for long. Bottom line? These songs are going to sound amazing live.

And how's Lars Ulrich's snare doing? Well, it's definitely there but then we weren't listening to mastered versions, so there's still hope that they won't end up sounding like they did on an album that rhymes with Faint, uh...Banger.

What else? There's no album title yet, and there are no individual song titles, but the album's been referred to as 'nine epics and one song', with ten tracks adding up to a total of 75 minutes. You do the math.

What do the songs sound like? Track one, which is only known by the cryptic working-title Flamingo opens up on thunderous rolling drums as lead guitar meets them head on, a flaring up in stop-start motion before it pulls itself together in rushes forward in classic thrash style, all crunching, Fight Fire With Fire riffs and drilling beats. It takes at least two minutes for James Hetfield's vocals to come in, and while they sound furious, this isn't the grittiest he's ever sounded, more open in tone, but while there's still a memorable vocal line for the 'chorus', and there is so much going on in the song, and so many ideas thrown in and discarded for the next one that it's hard on first listen to pick out one riff that you're going to remember it by. But with galloping riffs and the return of guitar breaks rising up from out of the grooves you can hear the true Metallica spirit, even though its as if reflected in mirrored mosaic.

Track two is at heart an anthemic ballad that recalls Fight Fire With Fire and Nothing Else Matters, with a chiming guitar intro, airy vocals and some slightly convoluted, progressive-style bridges that mutate into urgent riffing, more galloping riffs and guitar solos. Again, the song has a number of different sections, but it still sounds massive.

Track three kicks off on a stop-start riff flecked with Eastern touches, as other bustling guitar lines play off each other and Hetfield's vocals retain the power of old, like some monolithic prophet overlooking events as mid-paced, chugging riffs come in, sounding like an army on the march, methodically shooting anyone in their path.

Track four is reminiscent of Master Of Puppets with more than a touch of heads-down Slayer pacing thrown in. After an artillery-lobbing drum-led intro, it quickly sets off on marching, thrash mode, HetfieldÂ’s spat vocals taking melodic digressions, as he roars 'Bow down, surrender unto me'. The song's groove carries you along as it opens up into guitar atomospherics that bring Led Zep to mind. It isn't quite the kind of irresistible monster they've created before, but Metallica still prove they can still sound lean and epic at the same time, and when the track drops out into the grove mid-way though, you can imagine the chants coming from the crowds live.

Track five has another strong opening, with an uncharacteristic bouncing groove not a million miles away from Rage Against The Machine making appearances throughout setting off sharp riffs that come up against an irregular barrage of percussion that sets it off briefly on a more melodic path and builds up once again into a thrilling riff-fest mayhem.

Track six is the 'song', considerably shorter than the others, but full of clinically sharp riffing, more Slayer-esque parts and galloping grooves, all hustle and bustle with a tinge of Eastern melody thrown in once more.

Initial impressions is that this is an album that's going to get our blood chugging, but whether it's all we hoped for is going to take more plays to answer. Ultimately we're hugely relieved and pretty damn thrilled, and we can't when I wore my first dressing wait to hear the rest. Horns up.

:wacko::D :D :D

...and some early reviews

:wacko::D :D :D

My guess about the new Metallica album... there's gonna be galloping and there's gonna be riffs... I know, I know, you must think I'm psychic! Geez, did this author try to read a thesaurus before writing this piece?

QUOTE (Ursa Majoris @ 5/26/08 12:13am)

I am old enough to have seen Moses and Jesus jam in Bethlehem

QUOTE (whomper @ 6/16/08 7:30am)

Must have been a great show

:wacko:

Haven't contributed much to this thread in quite a while, but Judas Priest is playing at the Myth in Maplewood, MN on August 9th. While normally I would jump at the chance to see Priest, end even though tickets are $59 a pop, I just can't stand seeing a show at that venue. First Avenue is great, Roy Wilkins Auditorium is pretty good, the Rock in Maplewood isn't all that shabby either, but trying to see a show at the Myth just sucks ass.

I have heard the new Judas Priest song "Visions" on the radio though. Not bad. Looking forward to the album.

And while people may not classify them as metal, the new Scorpions song "Humanity" is also pretty darn good. Too bad they're also playing at that armpit known as the Myth.

:wacko:

Haven't contributed much to this thread in quite a while, but Judas Priest is playing at the Myth in Maplewood, MN on August 9th. While normally I would jump at the chance to see Priest, end even though tickets are $59 a pop, I just can't stand seeing a show at that venue. First Avenue is great, Roy Wilkins Auditorium is pretty good, the Rock in Maplewood isn't all that shabby either, but trying to see a show at the Myth just sucks ass.

I have heard the new Judas Priest song "Visions" on the radio though. Not bad. Looking forward to the album.

And while people may not classify them as metal, the new Scorpions song "Humanity" is also pretty darn good. Too bad they're also playing at that armpit known as the Myth.

Judas Priest is playing an outdoor show here in KC in August I think. It's a promotion for a KC radio station. Tickets are $19.98 if purchased through the station website.

Details. ?

Judas Priest is playing an outdoor show here in KC in August I think. It's a promotion for a KC radio station. Tickets are $19.98 if purchased through the station website.

Details. ?

I have been waiting for JP to come back to KC since they did Ozzyfest a few years back ... they will be here 8-1-08 ... I'll be in the Bahamas. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

the late 80's were a mixed blessing for "metal." the scorpions had a much harder sound in the early 70's through mid 80's. michael schenker was a badass.... then, everyone f'n sold out :wacko:

i still get nauseous when jump or bark at the moon or big city nights start playing.

Edited by Bier Meister

After reading this thread I fired up the John Bush era Anthrax on the itunes... Man, this band had balls when we had the vox... Tomorrow at the gym I intend to listen to some Slayer... All inspired by this thread. :D

Joey Belandona(sp?) FTW. :wacko:

Joey Belandona(sp?) FTW. :wacko:

:getsonsoapbox:

You know, Belladonna takes a lot of crap as a vocalist, but I think it is pretty undeniable that Anthrax was a much more influential band when he was present. Now, I realize that has something to do with the passing of the torch of metal to grunge and ultimately to entirely different genres like hip-hop, but under his watch Anthrax differentiated themselves from the rest of the metal scene by playing comic relief, helping pioneer rap-rock, and yet still pounded out some of the nastiest, heavy riffs imagianable. While Bush's voice is much better, his presence pretty much mainstreamed the band.

:getsoffsoapbox:

Having said that, Sound of White Noise is a great album. Unfortunately, Bush's freshman effort was his best.

I will be catching Testament July 31st in downtown Minneapolis. Anybody care to join me?

I just caught the Seattle stop of the Summer Slaughter Tour last night, 10 Bands in 7 hours:

Whitechapel

Psycroptic

Born of Osiris

Aborted

Despised Icon

The Faceless

Cryptopsy

Vader

Kataklysm

Black Dahlia Murder

Great show, ears are still ringing...

And this Wed.: AT THE GATES!