[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

Right now, I'm digging progressive metal bands with women lead singers.  Check out Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

Queensryche is coming to the Cites on the 24th and are doing the entire Operation: Mindcrime show plus other classics.  I'm way beyond pumped to see it.  :D

1001874[/snapback]

Have you listened to Arch Enemy yet?

Now, I love metal as much as the next guy, but so many of these new bands (yeah, I know I'm sounding like an old fart here) sound interchangeable - same tempo shifts, same Cookie Monster on PCP vocals, etc.

1000118[/snapback]

That is my main pet peeve for most new metal bands. Since when did singing become obsolete?

That is my main pet peeve for most new metal bands.  Since when did singing become obsolete?

1004436[/snapback]

Amen brother. Some of these bands have such great music and ruin it with some dude sounding like he is trying to hock up something for the entire album.

I am into the more melodic metal (grew up on Iron Maiden and still love em!!) and I just discovered Nightwish a few weeks ago.  They are definitely worth a listen.  As well as Iced Earth, and Children of Bodom.  And for something a bit darker, Cradle of Filth RAWK!!!  They do a version of Maiden's Hallowed be Thy Name that is just plain gross.

1002220[/snapback]

I'm a BIG Iced Earth guy. Good, solid old time metal if you ask me.

Also, check out Disturbed. I don't think they've been mentioned here yet.

Just to throw in, if you haven't already gotten it - buy Probot. Dave Grohl and all yer favorite underground metal gods (Cronos from Venom, Eric Wagner from Trouble, Lemmy, Snake from VoiVod, Tom G Warrior from Celtic Frost, Lee Dorrian, etc, etc) make one kick-ass album.

Lot's of bands here I hadn't heard of before. I'll have to check some of them out. :D

GI, I believe you said you were going to check out Queensryche at the Myth. Should be an awesome show! I'm not a big Queensryche fan, but I saw them open for Priest at the Excel earlier this year and the put on a great show! :D

Is :D too geeky for a metal post?

Anyways, I'm more a child of the 80's. Came home tonight, had a couple of beers and cranked up Scorpions Love At First Sting. :D

two newer bands that I'm into are Killswitch Engage and Shadows Fall. Killswitch is more metalcore....Shadows Fall has a thrashy feel. They both have free downloads on their websites if you're interested. I also dig Black label Society (Zakk Wylde's band), although alot of it starts to sounds the same after awhile.

:D:D

those old Headbanger's Ball intros by SOD kick ass....Milano Mosh, Sargent D and the SOD :D:D

Pick up the new Bruce Dickinson CD (tyranny of souls).  Excellent music and songwriting as expected from him.  Makes Maiden's latest effort look weak.

1007791[/snapback]

That album is very good. Definately worth a listen.

Maiden is working on a new album due out 1st half of next year!! :D

I still think Live after Death is one of the best live metal albums of all time.

Also, I've seen Tool mentioned a few times in this thread and I have to believe it's misplaced. Are there any serious Tool fans here who can legitimately say that any of the other bands listed compare? I mean, when you're talking about modern metal, I think of the same thing Chavez posted -- "same Cookie Monster on PCP vocals". Comparing anything like that to Maynard is sacreligious!

Also, I've seen Tool mentioned a few times in this thread and I have to believe it's misplaced. Are there any serious Tool fans here who can legitimately say that any of the other bands listed compare? I mean, when you're talking about modern metal, I think of the same thing Chavez posted -- "same Cookie Monster on PCP vocals". Comparing anything like that to Maynard is sacreligious!

1008196[/snapback]

Maynard and Adam's songwriting is far above all others Tool-wannabefollowers. Crushingly original, intelligent, and powerful. darn. Now I got the urge to throw in Aenimia or Undertow...

Anybody heard Bongzilla?  :D

1007166[/snapback]

Heard OF, never heard. All-time winners on the "great band name" list though.

And Ursa, here's one you'll love - I saw a car driving the other day with a "HWKWND" vanity plate. I almost crashed the truck, I was like "no freakin' way".

1008196[/snapback]

Tool is FAR above the bulk of bands mentioned; however, most metal fans I know LOVE Tool, and they do have many metal-ish attributes, so I'd say they fit.

The only people who like Tool and deny their metalness are people who'd normally hate metal.

Heard OF, never heard. All-time winners on the "great band name" list though.

And Ursa, here's one you'll love - I saw a car driving the other day with a "HWKWND" vanity plate. I almost crashed the truck, I was like "no freakin' way".

1009917[/snapback]

:D Wow! That is amazing. Was there a suspiciously sweet smell of burning around said car? :D

As for Bongzilla, they opened for Monster Magnet here last year, and they were downright hilarious. Totally devoid of any talent, but ferociously stoned, every number sounded identical with all the lyrics completely unintelligible and growled in a kind of bass rumble. All their tattoos matched too, all 385 of them. :D

Tool is FAR above the bulk of bands mentioned; however, most metal fans I know LOVE Tool, and they do have many metal-ish attributes, so I'd say they fit.

The only people who like Tool and deny their metalness are people who'd normally hate metal.

1009923[/snapback]

You know, I hear that a lot too, but for some reason I never got why everyone loves Tool so much. Good Lyrics, strong riffs, but Maynard's voice just ruins it for me. He's like the Gordon Gano of Metal.

Edited by Bonehand

Mastodon - Latest album Leviathan, a Moby Dick concept album (I know!) absolutely rules.

1000520[/snapback]

A good friend of mine did the album art for Leviathan. He is working on the art for their next album as I type. It is a pretty cool album.

You know, I hear that a lot too, but for some reason I never got why everyone loves Tool so much. Good Lyrics, strong riffs, but Maynard's voice just ruins it for me. He's like the Gordon Gano of Metal.

1010131[/snapback]

:D Well, I do rather enjoy the Femmes as well. I think it's law in Milwaukee (or as my buddy Polish Dan says, "the first Violent Femmes cd comes in your little freshman freebie kit at all Wisconsin colleges")