[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

A good friend of mine did the album art for Leviathan.  He is working on the art for their next album as I type.  It is a pretty cool album.

1010187[/snapback]

I had Mastodon's 1st album, and their drummer is AMAZING; I could appreciate where they were coming from, but the tunes just were a bit samey to me and left me unmoved.

Gave it away to a buddy's bro who was utterly stoked to have it though. :D

Just to throw in, if you haven't already gotten it - buy Probot. Dave Grohl and all yer favorite underground metal gods (Cronos from Venom, Eric Wagner from Trouble, Lemmy, Snake from VoiVod, Tom G Warrior from Celtic Frost, Lee Dorrian, etc, etc) make one kick-ass album.

1006428[/snapback]

Yes great album. A compilation of my teen angst years updated w/ Grohl as songwriter/drummer. Whats not to like?

:D Well, I do rather enjoy the Femmes as well. I think it's law in Milwaukee (or as my buddy Polish Dan says, "the first Violent Femmes cd comes in your little freshman freebie kit at all Wisconsin colleges")

1012947[/snapback]

:D Don't get me wrong, I like the Femmes as well. But you've gotta admit, with that whiny thing he's got goin' on, a little goes a looooooooong way!

"That lady dog took my money and went to Chi-CAAAAAAA-Go!" :D

Don't get me wrong, I like the Femmes as well. But you've gotta admit, with that whiny thing he's got goin' on, a little goes a looooooooong way!

1013220[/snapback]

You just need to come visit Summerfest here in Milwaukee - the Femmes play every year, and I enjoy the show with 4-5,000 of my favorite drunken friends.

I had Mastodon's 1st album, and their drummer is AMAZING; I could appreciate where they were coming from, but the tunes just were a bit samey to me and left me unmoved.

Gave it away to a buddy's bro who was utterly stoked to have it though. :D

1012952[/snapback]

Check out Leviathan if you have a chance, it's much more varied than their earlier stuff, I think you'd be impressed. They even use a different singing style for each character's point of view (Ahab, Ishmael, & Queequeg)! :D

Check out Leviathan if you have a chance, it's much more varied than their earlier stuff, I think you'd be impressed. They even use a different singing style for each character's point of view (Ahab, Ishmael, & Queequeg)!  :D

1013232[/snapback]

Hmm, sounds interesting; but as W sez, "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice...um, you can't get fooled twice" :D

Are we talking about ferrous or non-ferrous metals? My favorite are ferrous. I liked playing with magnets as a kid. Or are we talking about how the Chinease and Katrina have raised the price of steel 20% and that Rita could raise it 50%?

Shouldn't you be giving the local GOP leader a handjob with them mitts of yours?

1013249[/snapback]

Actually I don't know who heads up the local GOP, but I'm pretty good friends with the guy that has headed up the local campaigns for Dems.

Kyuss got overshadowed by the bands from the grunge era.  Wrong place, wrong time, wrong sound.  They are a great metal band.

1013300[/snapback]

I dunno about that - my grunge-loving buds and I thought Kyuss were GREAT. I think their main problem is they were too much the right sound in the right place and right time - they got lumped in with the "second wave" grunge bands and lost in the shuffle. Happens.

I dunno about that - my grunge-loving buds and I thought Kyuss were GREAT. I think their main problem is they were too much the right sound in the right place and right time - they got lumped in with the "second wave" grunge bands and lost in the shuffle. Happens.

1013384[/snapback]

Agree with that. I lived near Seattle during the grunge era and didn't listen to Kyuss until 5 or so years ago. :D Around 94-00 I didn't listen to hardly any rock bands because I was disenchanted with grunge wannabes and rap metal. The REAL revolution that didn't last. My loss.

i saw a band called locust opening up at a fantomas show. 4 dudes dressed up in matching gimp-mask getups. they were pretty f'n hardcore...it was kinda badass for about 2 minutes. but then the next two minutes sounded pretty much exactly like the previous two minutes. and so on. and so on and so on and so on.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Kyuss. Not a "new" or exisisting band but Josh Homme is pretty relevant today.  Best Black Sabbath rip-off ever.

1013245[/snapback]

I like Kyuss a lot, but the clear winner in the Black Sabbath ripoff stakes has to be Sheavy.

Blues for the Red Sun is a great album :D

1013804[/snapback]

My personal favorite. The Circus Comes to Town is right up there also.

I like Kyuss a lot, but the clear winner in the Black Sabbath ripoff stakes has to be Sheavy.

1013753[/snapback]

Especially the vocals.

I don't really consider this band "metal" by any means but I think a lot of y'all might like a band called the Peels (especially Ursa??). Check three of their songs out on myspace.com: Link

The chick singer has a powerful voice. They kind of remind me of QOTSA with a girl singer. My bro-in law is intrinsically involved with the Seattle music scene and he brought me to one of their shows almost two years ago. Apparently they've created some national buzz since then and moved to San Fran.

I don't really consider this band "metal" by any means but I think a lot of y'all might like a band called the Peels (especially Ursa??).  Check three of their songs out on myspace.com:  Link

The chick singer has a powerful voice.  They kind of remind me of QOTSA with a girl singer.  My bro-in law is intrinsically involved with the Seattle music scene and he brought me to one of their shows almost two years ago. Apparently they've created some national buzz since then and moved to San Fran.

1015688[/snapback]

I really like these. The singer vaguely reminds me of the singer from The Cranberries and the music rocks along really nicely. Also reminds me a little of Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders. I see they listed Pretenders among their influences, along with every other band that ever existed...... :D

Great music to drive to. Two thumbs up. :D:D

I really like these.  The singer vaguely reminds me of the singer from The Cranberries and the music rocks along really nicely.  Also reminds me a little of Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders.  I see they listed Pretenders among their influences, along with every other band that ever existed...... :D

Great music to drive to.  Two thumbs up.  :D  :D

1016385[/snapback]

Yup, catchy tunes with a nice rockin background. I figured you might like that. I guess the drummer in this band (that my brother in law was playing with on a side project) got addicted to heroin and they are kind of at a stalemate (seems like they could find a replacement drummer pretty easy).

On a side note, my brother founded a band called The Lashes you can also check out on myspace.com. He quit the band 2 months before they got signed to Columbia and before they played at the playboy mansion. :D

The Lashes are a power pop band and really don't belong in this thread, but I like to bask in my in-laws near glory. Also, Maxim gave them 4 outta 5 stars in their recent edition, for whatever that is worth: Link

I think this is Godtomsatan's favorite band. :D

Head Bump! :D

In honor of their new album "Once Was Not" coming 10/19, I reached into the oldies file today for "Whisper Supremacy" by Crytopsy. Not for the faint of heart, but highly rewarding for those who enjoy both Death Metal & Free Jazz.