[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

I've been a HUGH metal fan since I was a young f*uck. Still I love to rock out when I'm in my truck with nobody around. I got Sirrius just for the metal stations which are awesome. I love everything from Sabbath, IM, Priest, Dio to Dokken, Anthrax, Slayer, Testament even Ratt and Quiet Riot.

The 90's were pretty bleak as far as Metal went. Alot of bands were still putting out albums like Metalisucka, Ministry and COC which was great but not alot of exposuer for the bands and you really had to keep up to know when their new stuff was coming out. The internet has really helped in keeping track of new music. Some of the new bands in the 90's like Tool, White Zombie and Rage helped keep the Metal flag flying. It was great going to see these guys live when they were up and coming. Alot of energy. Helped me keep my faith that there will always be Metal.

But the "Nu-Metal" and "Rap-Metal" of this decade is flat out horrible. Luckliy the Rap stuff has finally died down but alot of crap out there in the Nu category. Like was said earlier in this thread, it's all the same. It's really that it's not bad per say, but it's BORING!

Stained, Disturbed, POD et all. Blah.

Now there are some new bands that I have found that are awesome. Chevelle is a pretty decent new band. They sound ALOT like Tool but the music is awesome and they really have some great songs. Another band is Fireball Ministry. These guys ROCK! Straight forward power cords , no frills ball busting music. Saw them at HOB a few months ago. Great new band. Give them a listen if your a Metal fan for sure.

Edited by 'canes2004

I've only got one of their albums, but I like Black Label Society. Reminds me alot of Sabbath.

1333901[/snapback]

Pick up anything by Sheavy. You'd swear that the entire band was born about 9 months after a Sabbath tour passed through their hometown. If you get my drift. :D

Are you kidding me that no one is talking about Rob Zombie? The dude is one of the most innovative metal performers in recent history.

1334073[/snapback]

Really, I guess I never even thought of his music as anything more than a silly redundant scthick, repeat 2 chords over and over with a catchy little hook. I could see how he can be considered somewhat innovative "pop-culture" wise, but I always thought he just used music to perpuate his image and pursue future endeavors (art, movies, scary monster stuff...etc).

Really, I guess I never even thought of his music as anything more than a silly redundant scthick, repeat 2 chords over and over with a catchy little hook.  I could see how he can be considered somewhat innovative "pop-culture" wise, but I always thought he just used music to perpuate his image and pursue future endeavors (art, movies, scary monster stuff...etc).

1339778[/snapback]

I dunno, I'd have to say that IMO NOBODY sounded like White Zombie when they hit in the early/mid-90s. Zombie's solo stuff isn't quite as compelling, but from those I know who've seen him live, he's very much an "entertainer" in the Alice Cooper mode.

Pick up anything by Sheavy. You'd swear that the entire band was born about 9 months after a Sabbath tour passed through their hometown. If you get my drift. :D

1339770[/snapback]

Celestial Hi-fi sounds like it was made by Ozzy, it's that close. Sheavy are an excellent band, great driving-to-work music.

If you can find the stoner rock compilation Rise 13 (on rise above records) there's an awesome sHeavy tune that isn't on any their cds: Pictures of You :D

1340059[/snapback]

I got that CD last time you posted about it - great stuff. Thanks! :D

I dunno, I'd have to say that IMO NOBODY sounded like White Zombie when they hit in the early/mid-90s.

1339794[/snapback]

I guess so, but does that define innovation (maybe, I don't know). There was rap metal out before the late 90's but nobody really sounded like Limp Bizkit before they hit.

I dunno, I'd have to say that IMO NOBODY sounded like White Zombie when they hit in the early/mid-90s. Zombie's solo stuff isn't quite as compelling, but from those I know who've seen him live, he's very much an "entertainer" in the Alice Cooper mode.

1339794[/snapback]

I like Zombie, but to me Rob was just combining the sound & samples of Ministry with the imagery of the Misfits. Very cool, but not all that original.

:D Good points above from the Seattle fans.

Still, innovative or not, I just flat out like Rob Zombie - in everything I've heard/read, he seems to be one of those types who realizes how fortunate he is to be able to make cool music and films and have some impact on things, and remains a big fan of the stuff he loves - an admitted fan, probably consciously putting himself on the same level as all of his fans, if that makes sense

In other metal news.....

It's official, Rick Rubin will be producing the next Metallica album.

Link with pics

......enter, the Metallica haters......

1332737[/snapback]

I loved Metallica back in the day...I worshipped them.

There music has really sucked now for over 10+ years and now they sue their fans and pay for a 50K/month psychaiatrist.

There last album eptimomized a lame attempt at getting heavy. It was uncontrolled stacotto non-emotional crap. A total silly album. A poor mans System of a Down...and they already suck balls.

I loved Metallica back in the day...I worshipped them.

There music has really sucked now for over 10+ years and now they sue their fans and pay for a 50K/month psychaiatrist. 

There last album eptimomized a lame attempt at getting heavy.  It was uncontrolled stacotto non-emotional crap.  A total silly album.  A poor mans System of a Down...and they already suck balls.

1341401[/snapback]

No kidding. No Solos, and the drum sound on St. Anger is absolutely abysmal. That's OK though, 'cuz no one can ever take Ride the Lightning away from us.

AAHHMM CREEEEEPING DAYYYYYYEEEEETHHHH!

1339794[/snapback]

I've seen Rob Zombie a couple times live and it is an amazing SHOW. His shows rival the performances of Maiden circa Powerslave and Somewhere in Time.

As for new metal, I've been listening to Avenge Sevefold (maiden wannabes) and System of a Down (Good stuff all around).

I'm still stuck with the old, new metal bands - Tool, Korn (phenominal live), Rage.

Metallica, I saw them several times and quit them at the Black album. I have heard somewhere that they are trying to make their new album like Ride the Lightning. Sounds encouraging :D

System of a Down (Good stuff all around).

1342055[/snapback]

My buddy LOVES SoaD; they do nothing for me, personally (though I can understand the appeal); I once heard them described as "Fiddler on the Roof set to nü-metal". Which is funny.

• 3 months later...

For all of you metalheads out there, Celtic Frost is returning with a new album called Monotheist.

Since Frost have only managed one notable misstep in their career (Cold Lake, which on reflection isn't quite as bad as it seemed at the time), I hope I'm not the only one looking forward to getting my greasy mitts on this Cd.

Update on Monotheist: Chavez likey.

This album is BRUTALLY HEAVY. Great stuff - better musicianship than CF had in the heyday by a long shot, but the songwriting seems to have backslid just a bit.

I missed this thread entirely back in the original posting and have to chime in now.

I'm digging the Fireball Ministry currently.

Lately, I've turned towards the emo-style rock (Queens of the Stone Age, Alkaline Trio, Three Days Grace, Placebo etc) due to the lack of decent vocals in most "metal" today.

Back in the day I loved Metal Church, Exodus, Maiden, Priest, Accept, Anthrax and Metallica. I guess these bands (aside from the first two) would be considered "rock" today. However, back in the day, metal included Ozzy, Crue, WASP, Ratt, and other more "rock" sounding bands. Death Metal was the term we always used for what "metal" is considered today.

I'm digging the Fireball Ministry currently.

Lately, I've turned towards the emo-style rock (Queens of the Stone Age, Alkaline Trio, Three Days Grace, Placebo etc) due to the lack of decent vocals in most "metal" today.

Actually, if you read through this thread, the lack of real singing in metal today seems to have been an issue with a LOT of Huddlers. I'm in the process of ripping my CDs onto my hard drive, and if you like QotSA, you'll probably dig these bands - Black Label Society, sHeavy, Turbonegro, Nebula.

Back in the day I loved Metal Church, Exodus, Maiden, Priest, Accept, Anthrax and Metallica. I guess these bands (aside from the first two) would be considered "rock" today. However, back in the day, metal included Ozzy, Crue, WASP, Ratt, and other more "rock" sounding bands. Death Metal was the term we always used for what "metal" is considered today.

I don't know that Maiden, Priest, Accept, Anthrax, and Metallica would be considered anything but metal - EVER. What's funny is that everyone you mentioned except Metal Church and Accept have re-united their "classic" lineups recently (not counting Metallica, since they never broke up). A HUGE error on Anthrax's part, since they were a much stronger band in just about every way with John Bush. I saw Anthrax open for Priest, and Belladonna can't hold a candle to Bush as a live performer. Priest were competent, but they seemed to be phoning it in a bit.

I usually called underground metal "speed metal" or "thrash" as opposed to "death metal."

Edited by Chavez

Update on Monotheist: Chavez likey.

This album is BRUTALLY HEAVY. Great stuff - better musicianship than CF had in the heyday by a long shot, but the songwriting seems to have backslid just a bit.

I saw that these guys were putting out an album. Can't wait to listen...time to check it out. My son is currently watching some Disney movie bear movie he absolutely loves so I will wait till bedtime to see if Musicmatch has it.

I remember back in the day when "thrash" "speed" "death" metal really started hitting the scene and it really seperated many of my metalhead friends. It started the whole "poser" mentality which kinda ruined the scene. It also happened about the time rap really hit the mainstream music scene. That is the day the music died. :sarcasm:

I remember coming from a Metal Church show and having some older metalheads try to start a fight with a friend of mine because he was wearing a WASP t-shirt. The ranks were broken. :D

I remember back in the day when "thrash" "speed" "death" metal really started hitting the scene and it really seperated many of my metalhead friends. It started the whole "poser" mentality which kinda ruined the scene. It also happened about the time rap really hit the mainstream music scene. That is the day the music died. :sarcasm:

I remember coming from a Metal Church show and having some older metalheads try to start a fight with a friend of mine because he was wearing a WASP t-shirt. The ranks were broken. :D

I never quite got that breach. Yeah, maybe Crue and G'n'R weren't as soul-crushingly heavy as VoiVod or Venom, but at least they ROCKED.

It's not as if the underground scene didn't have its own posers hoping to latch onto the coattails of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax.

I never quite got that breach. Yeah, maybe Crue and G'n'R weren't as soul-crushingly heavy as VoiVod or Venom, but at least they ROCKED.

It's not as if the underground scene didn't have its own posers hoping to latch onto the coattails of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax.

Go to the Rainbow in Hollywood and it's the exact same thing all over again....Except these young hair metal bands think they are on the verge of a comeback... :D

Go to the Rainbow in Hollywood and it's the exact same thing all over again....Except these young hair metal bands think they are on the verge of a comeback... :D

Well, if The Darkness can be embraced by hipsters everywhere, I guess anything is possible. :D

I'm in the process of ripping my CDs onto my hard drive, and if you like QotSA, you'll probably dig these bands - Black Label Society, sHeavy, Turbonegro, Nebula.

Diggin the Turbonegro; especially the epic "City of Satan".