[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

despite how tired i am, can't sleep..... am watching vh1 classic's rock honors.....

very cool seeing foo fighters playing queen and godsmack doing priest. of coarse this isn't helping me get to sleep either :D

edit: they are also doing a tribute to def lepard ( a bad i liked a lot when i was young)..... really liked On Through the Night and High-n-Dry

Edited by Bier Meister

I also just downloaded a song I heard at the end of this weeks' Entourage. The song is called "Alsatian" by a band called White Rose Movement.

They play it during the last scene and roll it through the credits. Not metal per say but maybe in the mold of old Jane's Addiction.

Very cool.

the lead singer sounds exactly like Ozzy if he were deaf since birth,.. or mildly retarded........

Given how Ozzy has been acting the past few years, I'd say someone sounding like a "mildly retarded Ozzy" would be pretty darn close to the real thing.

I just broke out a cd I hadn't listened to in a while by a band named Amorphis. The album Is The Karelian Isthmus(1992). They describe themselves as "Purveyers of Fine Grind". They're from Finland and have that Scandinavian sound kinda, sorta like Entombed and Unleashed. However if you ever see the album Elegy(1996) avoid it at all costs. :D Amorphis sold out and went very mainstream. Anyway, Amorphis pre-1996 is worth a listen.

Now playing: Sacred Reich, Surf Nicaragua(1988) Classic stuff, every metalhead should have a copy of this in their collection. Features a decent cover of War Pigs

After that: Powermad, Absolute Power(1989) I believe this is a pretty rare album check out this link Powermad

Also queued up for tonight:

Cyclone Temple, I Hate Therefore I Am(1991) Tight, fast, and choppy with clear vocals. Worth a listen

Cathedral, Soul Sacrifice(1992) Features Lee Dorrian (former Napalm Death singer)

Benediction, The Grand Leveller A British goth/doom band similar to Cathedral

and others to numerous to list, until next time

Sacred Reich, Surf Nicaragua(1988) Classic stuff, every metalhead should have a copy of this in their collection. Features a decent cover of War Pigs

After that: Powermad, Absolute Power(1989) I believe this is a pretty rare album check out this link Powermad

Cathedral, Soul Sacrifice(1992) Features Lee Dorrian (former Napalm Death singer)

Had a Sacred Reich CD for a while, Phil's voice just doesn't do it for me.

Cathedral - what can ya say but :D to Napalm Death's original singer going all Sabbath-y?

• 7 months later...

This thread should never die. :D

The latest on the forthcoming Metallica album from blabbermouth.net

Legendary producer Rick Rubin (SLAYER, SYSTEM OF A DOWN, AUDIOSLAVE, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS), who was named "Producer of the Year" at this past weekend's Grammy Awards, spoke to MTV.com about his work with METALLICA on their much-anticipated follow-up to 2003's "St. Anger", tentatively due before the end of the year via Warner Bros.

"I saw [the warts-and-all METALLICA documentary 'Some Kind of Monster'], and it made me really nervous," Rubin said. "Then we started working, and it's the opposite direction of that. They're really productive, really communicative — it seems like they really like being in the room together. It's a great process. They say they're more excited than they have been in a long time about making music. We're going to start recording in March. I asked them not to reinvent themselves so much as to make a defining album, like the purest of what METALLICA is. That's the aim, so we'll see what happens."

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich told Rolling Stone magazine that Rubin said that he wants to make the group sound "like the METALLICA that made them METALLICA without going backward" — and that he's doing it by challenging old habits.

"He's questioning what key we should play in," Ulrich told Rolling Stone. "We've played in E flat since the beginning of the '90s. Nobody questioned it. All of a sudden, Rick is going, 'Maybe the stuff has more energy and Hetfield's voice sounds better in E.' He's forced us to rethink big-picture stuff, something we haven't done in years."

Rubin also insisted that METALLICA rehearse and learn the material until, as Ulrich puts it, "we can play these songs in our sleep, standing on our heads. "With Bob [Rock, METALLICA's longtime producer], we'd go into the studio when we had some concrete ideas. But Rick wants us to take care of all the creative elements first. He wants us to capture these songs in a recording environment instead of creating them there."

Other news:

Judas Priest is currently working on a concept album about the life of Nostradomus. Will be released sometime in '07.

Rob Halford now has a website where you can purchase all of the music from his other projects (Fight, Halford). You can even buy songs in mp3 format. http://www.halfordmusic.com/

Had a Sacred Reich CD for a while, Phil's voice just doesn't do it for me.

Cathedral - what can ya say but :D to Napalm Death's original singer going all Sabbath-y?

Have you picked up "Operation Mindcrime II" yet? It's just as good as the first one.

Someone else mentioned this earlier but if you like good metal with singing and not all that screaming check out fear factory.

Zero Signal is their best song.

Oh man, what a great thread. I'm gonna comment on a few points here without quoting anythign from the earlier posts as this thread was bumped up and those posts are many months old.

Metallica + Rick Rubin

I have incrasingly lost interest in this band ever since the Black Album. He softened them up, and I know that's when they sold a lot of albums with him, but their music was so much better when it was 7 minute long tracks with 3 or 4 time and tempo changes. It was complex, unpredictable and ground breaking. Enter Sandman (and everythign else folllwing) was so... MTV friendly. I will definately give them a shot with Rubin calling the shots, and I think they know they hav eno balls any longer and will really stretch the bounds this time.

Queensryche-Operation Mindcrime 2

I bought this immediately, Queensryche unfortunately got grouped in with the Hair metal implosion of the early 90's. Warrant, Nelson, Winger and Queensryche are NOT the same type of metal. Mindcrime 1 has always been in my top 10 CDs, I absolutley love it to this day. So although i knew they would never match that success, I was willing to pick up this sequel. It's good, really good at points (Signs Say Go, the Chase). Not a classic like the first, but hardly an embarassing follow up trying to cash in on earlier success.

Here is my Larry King comment before I split: has any band ever put out a tri-fecta of albums close to the quality Iron Maiden did with Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and 7th Son of a 7th Son? And the 2 albums leading up top that were real good too...

Edited by The Vatican Hitsquad

Dio has rocked for a long time, but now it's time to pass the torch...

Not so fast my friend. RJD is currently gearing up to tour with Black Sabbath once again. Minus Bill Ward, RJD along with Tony Iomi and Geezer Butler (plus Vinny Apiece, Dio's long time drummer) are touring as Heaven and Hell. They are putting together a box set of Heaven and hell plus Mob Rules and new tunes as well. If you've seen any of the Black Sabbath reunion stuff with Ozzy last year, they still rock and I saw Dio as well last year and his voice is still as strong as ever. Some great music was made on those 2 Sabbath albums and I think the shows are gonna be awesome. They are bringing Megadeath and new Metalers Down out on the road with them. The one tour I want to see this summer for sure.

Here is some info. Scroll down a bit for the news of the album and tour.

Heaven and Hell 2007

Edited by 'canes2004

I will always be a metal head at heart, and there are still old bands like Maiden and Motorhead that rule along with a contigent of new bands.....but let's be real brothers:

Metallica used to write some great music up until and including "And Justice for All", but have absolutely sucked a donkey dong since. Queensryche sucks unless you fancy Spinal Tap mixed with Pink Floyd. I know I can get at least one Amen from the Huddle nation.

Don't really listen to much new stuff. When I get a chance to listen to the radio at all it's just for my 10 minute ride back and forth from school and it's either a CD or sports talk radio. But the old stuff still gets occasional play on CD. I've been rocking a lot of old Motley Crue lately, and man it's still good (Too Fast for Love/Shout at the Devil era stuff). I've got some other stuff mixed in on that CD (MP3s) like Quiet Riot, and Ratt too. Oh yea, and a little Kiss (they were the first concert that I ever went to). :D

Edited by Skrappy1

Don't really listen to much new stuff. When I get a chance to listen to the radio at all it's just for my 10 minute ride back and forth from school and it's either a CD or sports talk radio. But the old stuff still gets occasional play on CD. I've been rocking a lot of old Motley Crue lately, and man it's still good (Too Fast for Love/Shout at the Devil era stuff). I've got some other stuff mixed in on that CD (MP3s) like Quiet Riot, and Ratt too. Oh yea, and a little Kiss (they were the first concert that I ever went to). :D

I saw Crue at the Garden about ... geez, is it 2 years ago already? They were excellent. What I mainly listen to in the car every day is Sirius: Stern, NFL Radio and Hair Nation.

Hair Nation plays way too much Ozzy, and for some reason they play Bad English too, but otherwise it's great to listen to the Metal again. I'm talkin about non-stop rockin.

Here is my Larry King comment before I split: has any band ever put out a tri-fecta of albums close to the quality Iron Maiden did with Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and 7th Son of a 7th Son? And the 2 albums leading up top that were real good too...

Speaking of Maiden....is anything past 7th Son worth getting? For some reason after that album I stopped buying their 'new' stuff, with the exception of Brave New World which has some good tunes. I refuse to get the album with Blaze Bailey. What I've heard off their latest two albums (Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death) was nothing special and frankly, quite boring.

Wow, how did I miss this thread. Used to be a hugh Death Metal Freak. Started with Maiden then Slayer then on to Gore Metal and Satan worship for the early 90's (high school). I used to love Carcass, Obituary, Entmobed, Death, Sepultura and my personal favorite (probably because after reading the lyrics, this was the one band my mom didnt want me listening to) Deicide (dosent get more evil than Deicide: Sacrifical Suicide, Dead by Dawn, Crucifixation).

Then when I was old enough to start exploring the D.C. local scene it totally broadened my horizons. Started seeing bands like Fugazi, Clutch, Jawbox, The Dismsmberment Plan (very influential and underaprecieated band, imo), et al. If you are looking for some of that kind of stuff Dischord (Ian McKay's label) is still putting out some good D.C. flavored stuff: Q and not U and Black Eyes are a couple stand outs.

Then came the first Korn album. Wow. Talk about losing your fire quick. That debut was revolutionary, then came Life is Peachy, Suffering succotash! happened? Around that time I started listening to stuff like Tool, Helmet, Quicksand (another flash in the pan band that had a great debut)and The Afghan Whigs.

Then I started listening to Radiohead and I've been in that mode since the late 90's. I guess you could call my current tastes "College Prog-Rock). Current favs: Placebos latest release "Meds", Silversun Pickups both albums are great, Peeping Tom (Mike Patton with Dan the Automator released this year), Thom Yorke "The Eraser" and Cloud Cult (they have a new album to be released in April and I cant phukn wait).

Rock On!

Speaking of Maiden....is anything past 7th Son worth getting? For some reason after that album I stopped buying their 'new' stuff, with the exception of Brave New World which has some good tunes. I refuse to get the album with Blaze Bailey. What I've heard off their latest two albums (Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death) was nothing special and frankly, quite boring.

Not really. After 7th Son, the quality started to drop. Fear of the Dark was very medicore coming off such a strong 5 albums (6 including Live After Death), Bring your Daughter to the Slaughter was a lame single. And after that, the albums dropped down another level. Never bad, mind you, but nothing that was anywhere near the qulaity of that 10 year run, so I just avoid it and stick to those albums.