[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about the Metal

Chavez

Metallica's black album is pretty bad, Enter Sandman & Nothiing Else Matters are crap along with Of Wolf and Man, Wherever I May Roam and others. Lame, sellout album. Total crap MTV pandering radio friendly crap. Bob Rock took them and nipped their balls off right there. Under him, an epic like Disposable Heroes would have been 3 shorter, simpler songs with a video featuring a creepy old man in each.

Bands need to evolve. Sure, they could rehash Master of Puppets over and over again, but what fun would that be, for them and us. See AC/DC. Sure, they rock but have you really been interested in anything they've done since Razors Edge 15 years ago. All of their songs sound exactly the same. About the Black album, Lars said something to the effect that they wanted to simplify things and move on from the 'musical gymnastics' and 10 minute songs.

Bands need to evolve. Sure, they could rehash Master of Puppets over and over again, but what fun would that be, for them and us. See AC/DC. Sure, they rock but have you really been interested in anything they've done since Razors Edge 15 years ago. All of their songs sound exactly the same. About the Black album, Lars said something to the effect that they wanted to simplify things and move on from the 'musical gymnastics' and 10 minute songs.

Hey, I have no problem with bands moving forward - it's just there's a difference from "evolving" and "going to crap."

That's fine, 'cept in evolution a species can die out and become extinct. Metallica evolved all right, right off the top of the food chain.

That's fine, 'cept in evolution a species can die out and become extinct. Metallica evolved all right, right off the top of the food chain.

I'm probably a fool, but the announcement that Rick Rubin will be producing Metallica's next album did give me hope.

I'm probably a fool, but the announcement that Rick Rubin will be producing Metallica's next album did give me hope.

Hope like MLK going "free at last!" or hope like a drowning man clutching at straw?

they must look back at that decision to "evolve" not-too-fondly.

Well, they sold how many records prior to the Black Album vs how many after?

It didn't hurt them in many people's minds. It didn't hurt their pocketbooks, that's for damn sure. Artistic cred is overrated, and their hard-core fans growing disgusted with their continuing wussification probably fell under the "you can't please all the people all the time"; but I think they HAVE realized that something was lost, hence the failed attempt to re-capture it on St Anger (which would have been better received if it hadn't been a Metallica album) and the current dalliance with Rick Rubin.

however, what i hate about the announcement is that I WILL listen to it and hope...

As will we all.

Well, they sold how many records prior to the Black Album vs how many after?

It didn't hurt them in many people's minds. It didn't hurt their pocketbooks, that's for damn sure. Artistic cred is overrated, and their hard-core fans growing disgusted with their continuing wussification probably fell under the "you can't please all the people all the time"; but I think they HAVE realized that something was lost, hence the failed attempt to re-capture it on St Anger (which would have been better received if it hadn't been a Metallica album) and the current dalliance with Rick Rubin.

As will we all.

Well, I think their musicianship saw a big potential improvement with the addition of Trujillo, &

given Rubin's metal pedigree (Reign in Blood & South of Heaven, Manic Frustration, etc.), they have all the tools at their disposal to turn out a great record.

Question is, does Rubin have the balls to tell them when something sucks? And, can they step up in the songcraft dept? Focusing their songwriting on the world at large instead of the poignantly personal would be an excellent place to start, IMO.

Hey, I have no problem with bands moving forward - it's just there's a difference from "evolving" and "going to crap."

I remember some time after the black album I was at a grocery store check out counter and there were 2 different TV guides (same thing; different cover). One cover had something like the Backstreet Boys and the other one was Metallica. That always stuck in my head as a symbol of their "evolvement."

I guess I'll have a passing interest in how the new album sounds with Rick Rubin. But, no way I'd ever buy it; I won't spend a dime on these guys after they decided so sue their fans.

• 4 months later...

Man this thread has been quiet.

On the extreme metal front, lately I've been digging the new Cephalic Carnage, "Xenosapien", and the album "Akeldama" by The Faceless.

Looking forward to checking out Nile next Friday.

Metalchurch

Saw them open for Metallica several years ago and they rocked. Still have a drum stick around here somewhere...

Also saw Testament open for Maiden ages ago, good stuff. Much better live than on CD.

And where is the love for Megadeth, Peace Sells :D

Dead Kennedys - While not necessarily metal...

:old fart voice: The metal these kids listen to today sucks balls.

Real metal

Best metal shows

Anthrax opening for Maiden (Fear of the dark show, they played in t-shirts and jeans and the backdrop changed to show eddie for every song)

Metallica opening for Maiden (Stranger in a strange land)

"An evening with Mettalica" - 3 hours of bliss right before it went downhill when the black album came out

Pantera opening for Sabbath

Suicidal Tendencies opening for Queensryche (Mindcrime tour)

:D

EDIT: Forgot to add both Korn and Rob Zombie put on one hell of a show

Edited by jetsfan

Yeah, Helmet was always good live - my buddy and I saw them several times, and as he said "these guys give a frog's ass something to strive for!" because they were so ridiculously tight live.

Some time around 1991 or so a friend of mine dragged me to the Brighton Bar down at the Jersey shore. He said there's this band Helmet, they have one album out on the Amphetimine Reptile label. There were about 20 people in the bar. They ripped through the entire Strap it On album. As we were picking our jaws up off the floor, the original guitarist, Peter Mengenie (sp?) looked over at me from the stage and quietly said "Hey, I need to get to Philadelphia. . can you give me a lift?". I was immediately their biggest fan, and to this day the entire Strap it On album is on my iPod. Tightest live band I've ever seen.

Other monster shows I saw within a few years of that: Pantera opening for Suicidal Tendencies (no one had ever heard of Pantera before), Tad opening for Primus on the Frizzle Fry tour. I remember seeing GWAR on New Year's Eve and had to strip almost naked to get into my car on the way home (we were covered in so much fake blood).

Another great show we saw was Voivod. Oh, the 2 opening acts were Faith No More a few weeks after The Real Thing was released and Soundgarden when they were touring in support of Ultramega OK on the SST label. Tremendous show. You could tell in 5 minutes that Chris Cornell was a superstar. They did a monster cover of Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom". Oh yeah, and we left after Voivod's first song. . .they sucked.

Great thread!

Uh oh, Voivod fan I take it?

:D

Oh yeah. Without giving you the full dissertation, I got to see them touring behind their recent s/t album and they were pretty freakin' great. You will be missed, Monsieur Piggy.