[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cadillac Williams the next Ladanian?

rawbwilsh

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoever takes a rookie runner, no matter who he is what parents he has or anything, above players like TO, LT2, Peyton, or most of the people on this list someone posted needs a long and painful reality check.

yes, one in ten you find a gem. a gem that might even blossom into a superstar, but the other nine times you get nothing (like Arrington right now, but even that is too early to judge).

and with 9 busted first round picks (and assuming the same draft policy in later rounds too) you wont win ANYTHING in any league with a pulse.

what i DO hear between the lines though, is that you are in a dynasty league. in such 80-100% keeper leagues OF COURSE mostly the rookies are drafted. and THERE a 1.01 pick for someone like cadillac is not a surprise, its a must.

rookie QBs you dont need, even if they start.

rookie WRs are 1 in 30 to make an impact immediatly.

rookie TEs, are still TEs

rookie Ks, are still Ks

there are no "rookie DT/STs :D

so what is left are rookie runners and free agents from last year, IN A DYNASTY LEAGUE.

draft cadillac in a 100% redraft league and we see how you do, i mean the other 9 years :D

Not the point.  The point is:  why spend a 1st round pick on a player you could have taken in the 2nd round or later?  In a standard redraft format, virtually no one drafted Caddy Williams as high as you claim that it was "smart" to do.

The issue here is not actual value but perceived value.  The perceived value of Williams was late 2nd round (at best), and it would have been *dumb* to take him any higher than that.

1004076[/snapback]

Ding Ding Ding :D

Going INTO the season, anybody who took Cadillac Benson in the first round ought to have their head examined. Maybe in a 16 team league, but definitely not in anything smaller.

He went in the 3rd round in our league--about the 25th pick. There were 5-6 guys who would have gone ahead of him too, but they were keepers (McGahee, Julies Jones, Kevin Jones, etc.) I would have gladly taken him with my 3rd rounder, but I drafted at the end of that round.

Not the point.  The point is:  why spend a 1st round pick on a player you could have taken in the 2nd round or later?  In a standard redraft format, virtually no one drafted Caddy Williams as high as you claim that it was "smart" to do.

The issue here is not actual value but perceived value.  The perceived value of Williams was late 2nd round (at best), and it would have been *dumb* to take him any higher than that.

1004076[/snapback]

So let me get this straight - you would lose out on drafting a player with actual value in order to draft a player with some sort of "perceived" value? Why? So you can put up one of those "rate my team" posts in August and tell everyone how smart you are - then by mid-November you're mired in last place and whining because your top draft picks aren't living up to thier "perceived" value.

None of the leagues I'm in give points for perceived value.

I guess I'd rather be "dumb" and have the leading rusher in the NFL on my roster.

So let me get this straight - you would lose out on drafting a player with actual value in order to draft a player with some sort of "perceived" value?  Why?

1005648[/snapback]

I wouldn't lose out on anything. I would use my first round pick on a stud RB AND THEN PICK WILLIAMS IN THE 2ND ROUND. Trust me, Caddy was there for the taking in the late 2nd round in 98% of the leagues out there (and was often available a round or two after that). Why would I wait to pick him? Because I see no need to spend a 1st round pick on someone who could easily be gotten 12-15 picks later--due to his perceived value.

None of the leagues I'm in give points for perceived value.

1005648[/snapback]

Neither do mine. But drafting without the perceived value of players in mind will lead to a lot of foolish moves in a fantasy draft--not because the players taken too early are necessarily bad, but because it's just plain dumb to spend a 1st round pick on a player who can be drafted with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I'm amazed you're having such a hard time understanding this reasoning. It's Fantasy Football 101, dude.

I wouldn't lose out on anything.  I would use my first round pick on a stud RB AND THEN PICK WILLIAMS IN THE 2ND ROUND.  Trust me, Caddy was there for the taking in the late 2nd round in 98% of the leagues out there (and was often available a round or two after that).  Why would I wait to pick him?  Because I see no need to spend a 1st round pick on someone who could easily be gotten 12-15 picks later--due to his perceived value. 

Neither do mine.  But drafting without the perceived value of players in mind will lead to a lot of foolish moves in a fantasy draft--not because the players taken too early are necessarily bad, but because it's just plain dumb to spend a 1st round pick on a player who can be drafted with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I'm amazed you're having such a hard time understanding this reasoning.  It's Fantasy Football 101, dude.

1007127[/snapback]

What if the person picking immediately ahead of you in the second round was thinking the same thing, and he took Williams? Then you lose out.

I prefer to simply pick the players that score the most points. :D

Just because he is performing like a first round back doesn't mean you should have drafted him there this year. In fact, I would say only stupid drafters would have drafted him in the first round this year. If you had say the 3rd pick in a 12 team, you could have opened with Priest, got Marvin Harrison in the second, then picked up Caddy in the 3rd. If you went Caddy first, you draft would look something like Caddy, Marvin, Lamont Jordan. Which draft looks better to you? And even if you say well Caddy might not have been there at 3.03, which is a stretch, you could have easily traded Priest for him to whoever drafted him and be left with the same team. Drafting is absolutley NOT about always picking the best player, it's about getting the most out of your draft picks, and drafting Caddy in the first round is not maximizing at all.

Just because he is performing like a first round back doesn't mean you should have drafted him there this year.  In fact, I would say only stupid drafters would have drafted him in the first round this year.  If you had say the 3rd pick in a 12 team, you could have opened with Priest, got Marvin Harrison in the second, then picked up Caddy in the 3rd.  If you went Caddy first, you draft would look something like Caddy, Marvin, Lamont Jordan.  Which draft looks better to you?  And even if you say well Caddy might not have been there at 3.03, which is a stretch, you could have easily traded Priest for him to whoever drafted him and be left with the same team.  Drafting is absolutley NOT about always picking the best player, it's about getting the most out of your draft picks, and drafting Caddy in the first round is not maximizing at all.

1007710[/snapback]

What if Williams was already gone by the time your pick came up in the third round? Then you passed on the NFL's leading rusher and wasted your first round pick on a guy who splits carries with Larry Johnson.

I appreciate the input, but I think I'll stick to simply assembling a roster of players that score the most points.

What if Williams was already gone by the time your pick came up in the third round?  Then you passed on the NFL's leading rusher and wasted your first round pick on a guy who splits carries with Larry Johnson.

I appreciate the input, but I think I'll stick to simply assembling a roster of players that score the most points.

1007745[/snapback]

You know, this is a pretty simple concept. If you pass on him in round one, knowing you could get him in round 2, and instead pick, oh lets say Moss, in round one, then Cadillac in round 2, as opposed to cadillac in round one, and then, lets say Joe Horn in round 2, which is the stronger squad?

For someone who thinks he's some kind of genius, you are feeling more like an idiot savant.

Julius Jones is the only one on that list that I would have taken ahead of Carnell Williams.

1003795[/snapback]

No offense, but you are a crackhead. You would've taken Cadillac, who had not seen a single snap in a regular season game, ahead of those guys? That's laughable. The smart and informed drafter would've taken one of them first, knowing that Cadillac would be available in the 2nd or 3rd round - those others would not.

I took him in the 3rd in both of my drafts - people laughed. I think it's safe to say that I'm the one laughing now.

After his initial post he explained it was a dynasty draft..LT was on someones team already from the year before

1003853[/snapback]

True, but that's not at all what he intially said. He said that (1) if one were smart/informed, they would've taken him first round this year (no league qualification, which is asinine - in any league that isn't a dynasty, this is a foolish move) and (2) that he would not have taken any of that list of established studs ahead of Caddy, excepting JJ (this would've been a nice time to clarify that he wouldn't have taken them b/c they weren't available).

Dynasty league - taking Caddy first round is a great move.

Redraft - you'd have to be on crack, or otherwise very open to taking huge risks. As we all know, if your first round pick in a redraft league bombs - you're hosed.

What if Williams was already gone by the time your pick came up in the third round?  Then you passed on the NFL's leading rusher and wasted your first round pick on a guy who splits carries with Larry Johnson.

1007745[/snapback]

I said before, if Caddy was not available in the 3rd, you could just trade priest (or edge, or moss or whoever you picked first) straight up for him after the draft. Anyone would have made this trade. You lose nothing by waiting to get Caddy in the 3rd. It's pretty simple.

I said before, if Caddy was not available in the 3rd, you could just trade priest (or edge, or moss or whoever you picked first) straight up for him after the draft.  Anyone would have made this trade.  You lose nothing by waiting to get Caddy in the 3rd.  It's pretty simple.

1008081[/snapback]

What if the guy who drafted him wouldn't trade him? Then you're stuck.

See, bottom line is all you guys march into your drafts with the same cheatsheets as your competition and expect to come away with some type of advantage.

You pick players after they have break-out years because that's what your little cheatsheet tells you to do. I think a better strategy is to pick them when they are about to have a big year.

But hey, we can agree to disagree. Let's move on.

This thread is pointless right now. It is too early in the season to be talking about Cadillac being the next LT2 and whether or not Vet is an idiot or a fantasy football genius. Give it time people. I could say Im a genius and told everyone that Stephen Davis would lead the league in rushing TDs. But then again, its only Week 3.

Edited by Primetime9287

True, but that's not at all what he intially said.  He said that (1) if one were smart/informed, they would've taken him first round this year (no league qualification, which is asinine - in any league that isn't a dynasty, this is a foolish move) and (2) that he would not have taken any of that list of established studs ahead of Caddy, excepting JJ (this would've been a nice time to clarify that he wouldn't have taken them b/c they weren't available). 

1007967[/snapback]

He was fishing and he hooked a whole bunch of us by not initially saying it was a dynasty draft..

This thread is pointless right now.  It is too early in the season to be talking about Cadillac being the next LT2 and whether or not Vet is an idiot or a fantasy football genius.  Give it time people.  I could say Im a genius and told everyone that Stephen Davis would lead the league in rushing TDs.  But then again, its only Week 3.

1008256[/snapback]

This is true. Someone should take a thread gun to this mess.

It started out as a simple question and has turned into a referendum on my drafting strategies, which I do not expect the common fantasy footballer to comprehend. Like other brilliant minds throughout history, I will probably go to my grave being misunderstood by the commonfolk - Galileo, Copernicus, Sir Isaac Newton, Vet....oh well... :D

Let's move on.