[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arrington

Steelhead

This article is from the Arizona Republic...it is NOT looking good.

Shipp may get starting nod even upon Arrington return

Odeen Domingo

The Arizona Republic

Sept. 20, 2005 12:00 AM

When Cardinals running back Marcel Shipp is healthy, he plays like an NFL starting running back.

Guess what? This year, Shipp is healthy.

Cardinals coach Dennis Green gave a big hint that Shipp is going to be his starting running back against Seattle this Sunday and maybe beyond.

When asked if it's safe to say that the depth chart will stay the same when rookie starter J.J. Arrington comes back from a stomach flu, Green said, "You know what, I haven't thought one iota about that. I think Marcel played very good. As you know, Marcel Shipp is my kind of guy. That doesn't take much to figure that out. Guys that aren't drafted that bust their way into the National Football League are guys that I have the most respect for.

"That doesn't mean that I don't like first-rounders or second-rounders because I do. But I have something a little extra for those kinds of guys (like Shipp). Marcel went in and did a good solid job. Right now, I'm trying to get J.J. (healthy.)"

Shipp deserves the spot. Arrington has been putrid, doing too much dancing and prancing. Shipp was the better back in pre-season and he’s the better back right now. At best, Arrington should come in for 3rd down duty, but no way does he deserve to start…at least not at this point.