[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Along the lines of the NFL Players being hip to FF

Vet

There is one guy in my dynasty league that travels constantly on business and claims to have met several of his fantasy players. He says he ran into Jermaine Lewis a few years back in an elevator and said "Hey Jermaine, I have you on my fantasy team, when are you going to start scoring?" To which Jermaine - never taking his eyes off the floor indicator - said "As soon as they start throwing me the fu&%ing ball." Then he got off and left without turning around.

He also claims to have run into Terry Glenn and a couple of other players I can't remember at the moment.

I've never met any of my players. The closest I've come is two years ago I scored front row tix for the Jets vs. Buffalo. We were on the Bills sideline and Travis Henry was warming up right in front of me. I yelled down "Hey Travis, I have you on my fantasy team!" (A lie, I didn't really have him). He gave me a thumbs up sign. Then I said "I benched you this week in favor of Curtis!" (I really did have Martin that day.) He looked up at me and said, "You're gonna regret that!"

For what it's worth, Martin schooled him that day. The Jets beat on Henry early and often sending him to the sidelines holding his ribs and I know Martin had at least one TD and decent yardage. That was the game Pennington put that juke move (the only juke move Chad will ever get away with) on a Buffalo LB and actually ran one into the endzone....

So - Any of you guys ever met any of your fantasy players? If so, what (if anything) did you say to them?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never run into any FF ones but I did run into John Elway in Las Vegas at Ceasars a few years ago.  That guy has baseball mitts for hands!

Living in Hawaii, I go to the Pro Bowl each year and make a few practices too.  That is the only time I have seen any of my FF players up close.

1014842[/snapback]

You are absolutely right! I met Elway at an AutoNation investors meeting once (Elway owned several car dealerships in Denver that he sold to AutoNation). I shook his hand and I swear his fingers came up to my elbow - it was weird. :D

He's never been on any of my teams but I've met Jason Elam. He was once a client of ours. My father has met Olandis Gary, Rod Smith and Brian Griese, they're still clients. We have a relationship with an advisor out in Denver that has 12 NFL players as clients as well as other athletes such as Missy May. Elam was actually a really good account. I believe he left us for some sort of ponzi scheme. Rod Smith has been on a couple of my teams, but again I never met him.

I know a place I can wait to make sure that ill never meet anyone on my team this year....The endzone..

1014859[/snapback]

:D Too funny Whomp.

I won't namedrop....but I do know a couple players fairly well. But oddly enough, I don't have any of them on my teams this year. They are good.....but I can't figure out if that would be weird or not.....LOL.

I sort of get razzed at being the Fantasy Football Sports Babe (not that I mind)..... :D , so where I WILL talk football around them....I tend to stay quiet about FF. :D

Sadly.....most of the players I DO know are retiring or retired from the NFL. Geeeze I'm getting old. :D

:D  Too funny Whomp.

I won't namedrop....but I do know a couple players fairly well.  But oddly enough, I don't have any of them on my teams this year.  They are good.....but I can't figure out if that would be weird or not.....LOL.

I sort of get razzed at being the Fantasy Football Sports Babe (not that I mind)..... :D , so where I WILL talk football around them....I tend to stay quiet about FF. :D

Sadly.....most of the players I DO know are retiring or retired from the NFL.  Geeeze I'm getting old.  :D

1014904[/snapback]

Yeah but didn't they find out that guy wasn't really Ben Roethlisberger or Brian St.Pierre?

I bet players get so tired of hearing people say, "hey (insert players name here) you on my fantasy team!"

1014907[/snapback]

I would actually doubt that. It would probably be taken as a sign of respect, unless you tell them they're on your bench. :D

:D  Too funny Whomp.

I won't namedrop....but I do know a couple players fairly well.  But oddly enough, I don't have any of them on my teams this year.  They are good.....but I can't figure out if that would be weird or not.....LOL.

Sadly.....most of the players I DO know are retiring or retired from the NFL.  Geeeze I'm getting old.  :D

1014904[/snapback]

You must be hot. Pro athletes don't hang out with ugly women.

Yeah but didn't they find out that guy wasn't really Ben Roethlisberger or Brian St.Pierre?

1014910[/snapback]

LMAO....anyone calling themselves a Steeler fan should know what those two look like.....pretty funny the imposter got away with it for what....2 dates? :D

I bet players get so tired of hearing people say, "hey (insert players name here) you on my fantasy team!"

1014907[/snapback]

I'm sure you're right.

Having lived in Manahttan for seven years, I've had many celebrity encounters, but I would never go up and say anything to them.

The only time I did say anything was when I ran into Peter Jennings at Lenscrafters on the upper west side. He was telling the clerk that his lens kept popping out of the frames and I said I was there for the same reason. We compared frames for about 30 seconds then some obnoxious woman came up and started telling him how great he was and how she watched him every night. He clearly didn't want to hear it. I quietly slipped away and let her continue fawning over him while he tried to get his glasses fixed. Poor guy. :D

I was thinking the same thing....

What's the STORY steel...

1014940[/snapback]

Sheesh....I didn't say I date them.....LOL. Maybe....I'm just fun. :D

I can't tell you what it is....all my life I've seemed to be at the right place at the right time and have met some extraordinary people along the way. Nice that they think enough to continue the associations past that chance meeting. That's all. :D

And maybe....it's just nice for some of those people to hang around someone that isn't looking to get anything out of them. It isn't limited to football.....just been fortunate enough to meet some interesting people. And let me tell you....not ALL "celebrities/sports stars" are interesting or even nice. Works both ways....if they are idiots or jerks....I have no problem telling them that too.....LOL.

Sheesh....I didn't say I date them.....LOL.  Maybe....I'm just fun.  :D

I can't tell you what it is....all my life I've seemed to be at the right place at the right time and have met some extraordinary people along the way.  Nice that they think enough to continue the associations past that chance meeting.  That's all. :D

And maybe....it's just nice for some of those people to hang around someone that isn't looking to get anything out of them.  It isn't limited to football.....just been fortunate enough to meet some interesting people.  And let me tell you....not ALL "celebrities/sports stars" are interesting or even nice.  Works both ways....if they are idiots or jerks....I have no problem telling them that too.....LOL.

1015024[/snapback]

I knew you were hot. :D

Sheesh....I didn't say I date them.....LOL.  Maybe....I'm just fun.  :D

I can't tell you what it is....all my life I've seemed to be at the right place at the right time and have met some extraordinary people along the way.  Nice that they think enough to continue the associations past that chance meeting.  That's all. :D

And maybe....it's just nice for some of those people to hang around someone that isn't looking to get anything out of them.  It isn't limited to football.....just been fortunate enough to meet some interesting people.  And let me tell you....not ALL "celebrities/sports stars" are interesting or even nice.  Works both ways....if they are idiots or jerks....I have no problem telling them that too.....LOL.

1015024[/snapback]

Can I visit your world?

Living in Greeley (old training camp) and Denver, I used to party with a lot of the Broncos players and give them crap when they didn't score. Elway does have huge hands... they remind me of Evander Holyfields hands; "Evander, can I have my arm back now??!"

I met Marshall Faulk, Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders before and after games with them when I was at U of Wyoming. Now that I think of it, that would be a hell of a backfield! :D