[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unlimited waiver wire moves

FiremenCCFFL

For the first time this year our league has allowed unlimited waiver wire moves on a first come first serve basis.

As commissioner I had opposed it.

The problem that I see with it is this.

Teams have started to play the "good matchup" game. Picking up TEs, K, or third string WR on teams that play "bad" NFL defenses each week and keeping the player for only one week.

On one hand, this shows an owner that is into the game.

But on the other hand, it takes away from the importance of the draft.

We are a 2 player keeper league and many of the teams have been in the league for 15 years or more. Draft picks are OFTEN traded which makes the draft VERY important.

I know I am a little biased, because I had a fantastic draft (because I sold my team away for draft picks last year) and have a fantastic team despite and unlucky matchup 1-3 record, but I have always tried to make decisions in fantasy football based on what would happen in the NFL and players dont jump teams from week to week in the NFL.

Interested to hear what everyone here thinks.

I've never been a fan of unlimited pickups for the same reason you mentioned. I my leagues we charge $1 after the 5th pickup in one league and 10th in another. My auction league has a FA salary cap. Make all the moves you want but it will cost you.

We have unlimited moves also but at $5 a pop. So no one is using a defense of the week.

I'm not really sure what it is that you don't like. If you draft badly you're screwed the whole year?

Edited by Zooty

We have unlimited moves also but at $5 a pop.  So no one is using a defense of the week.

I'm not really sure what it is that you don't like.  If you draft badly you're screwed the whole year?

1044344[/snapback]

Of course not. I dont like, as a previous poster mentioned, teams picking up the "D of the week" for free. We have never tried charging for waiver wire moves. Thanks sounds like a solution tho.

our league limits it to 20 all year. seems like a good #, but unlimited does seem a bit lame.

1044358[/snapback]

Ummm, I usually lead the league in moves but I rarely go past 20. I think that is pretty much unlimited especially if FAs are cut off in week 10 or 12.

Ummm, I usually lead the league in moves but I rarely go past 20.  I think that is pretty much unlimited especially if FAs are cut off in week 10 or 12.

1044369[/snapback]

2 teams in my league have made 17 moves already. One is 4-0. That team picked up Rackers last week (he had been dropped by a team with Vanderjagt to make room for a bye week D pickup Dumb move I know)

Edited by FiremenCCFFL

We used to charge transaction fees in the league I commish. But we had a couple owners that were too cheap to spend the cash to cover the TE/K/Def bye weeks. They didn't think it was worth the money for the amount of pts they get. We tweaked the scoring to make those positions worth more, but it didn't help much.

So now we made all transactions free and no limit. And yes, we do have one guy that plays the matchup game with his defense every week. No big deal, there's waiver moves for me to process each week anyway. It doesn't always work out for him. Sometimes playing matchups can backfire.

That, and the other owners are aware of the game he plays each week, and some of us, occasionally, will try and beat him to the punch and pick up the defense we figure he is targeting that week and burn him.

2 teams in my league have made 17 moves already.  One is 4-0. That team picked up Rackers last week (he had been dropped by a team with Vanderjagt to make room for a bye week D pickup    Dumb move I know)

1044383[/snapback]

Wow, I'm impressed, the most I have is 11.

Changing the roster size can have some effect too. One league has a 21 player roster (MUST have 2 Ks, 2 Def, etc but no position max's). In therory this should cause more trades than FAs but its an 8 team league so the WW is bloated with quality.

I say charge $3 to $5 per FA and it will drop off and set a deadline once bye weeks are done

We are in our 15th year in our league and allow virtually unlimited free agent moves. (Virtually because we use home-grown software that allows 6 moves per week just because of the way the display works). We charge $2.50 per free agent acquired and $10 per player acquired via trade.

It is not first come, first served. It is done by rounds (6 of them, see above), just like the draft, with every team having a shot at picking up a free agent before any team team can pick up another. The team with the worst record goes first in each round, if teams are tied for record, the team with the least points scored to that point in the season picks first. Rosters are allocated once a week, at midnight on Wednesday.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Everybody should have a chance to improve their team. If a team wants to player roster roulette by picking up players or defenses with good matchups, then the pot just builds.

Our local has covered all sides of this I think in the past few years.

We used to have a $50 entry fee and each ww move was $5. This added to the year end pot but as mentioned above, some owners wouldn't feel the $5 was worth it and just took zero's.

We then raised the entry fee to $100 and free, unlimited ww. This had people constantly dropping and picking up players to the point where 1 owner would pick up and drop the same player multiple times in a week since he couldn't make up his mind.

We are now settled on a system where it is still $100 entry fee and each team is given $200 of ww money to blind bid on players. The bidding is open starting after the MNF game and closes at midnight Thursday. Highest blind bid wins the player. We then have 1st come, 1st served ww from 12:01am Friday until kickoff. All players in the 1st come, 1st served automatically cost $1 of your $200 budget. We've found that this system works well for all owners. The ones that like to play the flavor of the week D can do so at a cost, the ones that like to stick with the drafted players can do so, and some like a bit of both.

We allow unlimited moves ($1 per transaction, and all owners fess up an extra 10 bucks with the entry fee to cover the first 10 moves). I noticed you have it set up as first come, first serve. Ours is set-up worst to first (Tues, 9pm cut-off - limited to one pick-up under this rule), then we go first come, first serve. Allows the owners who are struggling (or just down right suck) to shore up their team first.

We have a 100 point blind bidding system plus first come first served. All transactions cost at least a point. If you want to make 100 transactions, then be my guest.

I like unlimited and free waiver transactions, and I don't have a problem with people playing the matchups. I do it myself sometimes. If the rosters are reasonably large and free agents go thru waivers I don't see what the problem is.

As far as I'm concerned managing your team throughout the season, whether through trades, free agent pickups, or whatever, is just as important a part of the game as the draft is.

My main league considered and rejected transaction fees when we set things up because we didn't want people who were too cheap to pay taking zeros.

This is our 1st year using unlimited, mainly due also being our 1st year converting to IDP.

In the past we had 20 waiver a year. But with our setup below, having 20 was not enough to support IDP.

I'm not sure how many players you have for each team, but we are required to keep 29 players at all times. No open slots.

With the amount of players each team has in our league, there are some good FA pickups each week, but not a whole lot. Mainly trying to find that hopefu great matchup or a bye/injury week filler.

There are always a few gems to be found after a few weeks.

If there are too many issues with the unlimited waivers (FCFS), then keep all the dropped players on waiver list that follows waiver rules (worst to first, etc...)

Currently my league only keeps waived (locked) players for 1 week, but in the past we kept the waiver list for the whole season. After a few weeks the FCFS request dropped alot due to the FA pool being drained from the flurry of waivers.

It's nice to draft good base, but winning teams are made by moves made during the season. Injuries, slumps, coaching changes, demotions are not able to be predicted.

we're free and unlimited. we did charge but I found it hard to collect the two dollars someone owed at the end of the year.

1044435[/snapback]

Bingo! Same problem here.

The leagues I commish went to 20 free and then $10 each after that. It is mighty rare to see somebody use that 21st transaction.

I've never considered playing D or TE of the week to be a problem. If you are paying attention, do your research a week in advance, etc. and you want to run your team that way, I think it's fine.

One league I'm in offers free unlimited ww all year. This is the league where I was offered an undrafted team after all the other teams had drafted but had to pay no entry fee. Obviously I'm a ww demon in this league and if I make the playoffs (currently 2-2) it'll probably result in a league revolt. :D

I don't have a problem with unlimited WW's if you first use a waiver process determined by worst to first record. That allows the worst team to the first choice and so on. After that waiver run having unlimited until game time is no big deal IMO. As long as the team has to drop a player to go into the pool for the following week.

Not a problem at all in my book. We did the cash thing for transactions, but as commish, it became somewhat difficult at the end of the season trying to get everyone to pony up so we instead raised the entry fee and said unlimited.

We do have a "claiming period" under which everyone gets $1000 fictional dollars to bid on free agents on Tuesday and once you're out, you can no longer participate in the Tuesday bidding, but come Wednesday morning up until game time of the first game of the week, it's first come-first served.

Works well for us.