[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Leinart

TJOLIRPH

Matt Leinart gave up big money to stay in college and not be the #1 pick this year, but question whose's picking him up?

Top 10 worst teams

#1 Houston

#2 Minny

#3 Oak

#4 GB

#5 SF

#6 Arz

#7 Jets

#8 NO

#9 St Louis

#10 tie Bal and Det (I know other have same record but I see no improvement here)

So lets see

Houston - Do they give up on Carr? or is it all the O-lines fault

Minny - CPep only drafted if they trade Pep away :D

Oak - It Al Davis who knows plus I see some improvement at some point

GB - Rodgers in the wings

SF - Smith

Arz- Possible but McCown is playly well right now

Jets - Don't think so to much $$$$ in Pennington

NO - Good possiblity Brooks is done after this year IMO

St L - Bulger not the problem

Bal - Only if they finally realize that Boller sucks

Det - Joey is done but I don't see them risk another #1 on a QB

So IMO the earliest w/o trades I see Matt going is #5 to #7 so how much $$$ did he give up to take ballroom dancing and try for NCship #3 ?

Matt Leinart gave up big money to stay in college and not be the #1 pick this year, but question whose's picking him up?

Minny - CPep only drafted if they trade Pep away  :D

1080745[/snapback]

What would Culpepper be worth. I bet Denny Green would give up a couple 1st round picks and Mcnown for Culpepper. I don't think the team would trade him. Although I never thought they would trade Moss either. Zygi might throw in the towel hire a new coach and clean house.

Edited by Outshined

What would Culpepper be worth. I bet Denny Green would give up a couple 1st round picks and Mcnown for Culpepper. I don't think the team would trade him. Although I never thought they would trade Moss either. Zygi might throw in the towel hire a new coach and clean house.

1080753[/snapback]

exactly!

i really like the Culpepper getting traded idea. It's a perfect excuse to "clean house". you Athenacan Tice, and Culpepper, claiming "new image" and all that garbage, you get all sorts of crap for Culpepper and you grab Leinart and BOOYAH! you're 2 years away from being #1 in the NFC North. ah hell, maybe 2 weeks.

i possibly see Billick getting canned and BAL grabbing him #1. Make no mistake, he's #1 2006 though.

Edited by LooGie

does anyone else have some "pennington-esque" questions about Leinhart's arm?  i've seen him underthrow several balls this year, including a couple last week.  he certainly doesn't have a cannon like carson palmer.

1081152[/snapback]

good info here.

Edited by Glabra

does anyone else have some "pennington-esque" questions about Leinhart's arm?  i've seen him underthrow several balls this year, including a couple last week.  he certainly doesn't have a cannon like carson palmer.

1081152[/snapback]

I completely agree vansmack! Yes, he has been very good in college and has played on a terrific team. IMHO he is not near as good of a QB as Palmer was and I don't think he will succeed in the pros like Palmer will and is.

How are the Jets, who just recently signed Pennington to a 60 million dollar contarct extension, going to sign Leinart?

1081149[/snapback]

Simple, Pennington goes on the PUP list in which case they free up cap space. Plus, only $12 million of Pennington's contract is guaranteed and it was signed before the 2004 season and has already been amortized over 2 years. So if they just outright cut him after June 1, 2006 they would take about a $4.5 million cap hit in 2006 and another similar hit in 2007. They have plenty of money to sign Leinart and any other rookie they draft.

Barring injury, Leinart will be the #1 pick it's juat a matter of who trades up to get him. Or, who knows - Houston may give Carr the boot and take Leinart.

Edit: Oh, sorry I forgot the most important part. The current salary cap only runs through the 2006 season. As of today, there is no salary cap in 2007. Clearly, this will be negotiated, and there will be a cap in 2007. But the numbers they are talking about right now are in the $110-115 million area - up from around $85 today. I expect this will be negotiated down to somewhere in the mid-90's to $100 million - but nevertheless, you are looking at a $10-15 million increase in the salary cap for the 2007 season. So just structure his deal so that a larger portion of his money comes in 2007 and beyond.

Edited by Vet

How are the Jets, who just recently signed Pennington to a 60 million dollar contarct extension, going to sign Leinart?

1081149[/snapback]

Mel Kiper called him a left-handed version of Chad Pennington last year.

As for which team would take him, I can see the Raiders, Cardinals, Jets, Lions and Saints all being interested. Can definately see the Raiders trading up to acquire him (they won't finish with the worst record) - Collins is not the long term answer.

If Houston does anything other than draft OL in almost every round, they're stupid.

Edited by Jo