[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houston @ Chicago

whitem0nkey

There have been only 14 walk-off home-runs in the history of the World Series, two of which have won the World Series

1949 - Tommy Henrich, NY Yankees

1954 - Dusty Rhodes, NY Giants

1957 - Eddie Mathews, Milwaukee

1960, Game 7 - Bill Mazeroski of the Pittsburgh Pirates becomes the first person to win the World Series with a walk-off home run, defeating the New York Yankees

1964 - Mickey Mantle, NY Yankees

1975, Game 6 - :D  Carlton Fisk :D  of the Boston Red Sox hits a solo homer in the bottom of the 12th inning to end a game against the Cincinnati Reds considered by many the greatest ever played. This homer arguably changed the very way televised sports are covered. Because camera operators missed a cue from the producer, the camera lingered on Fisk trying to "wave his home run fair

1988, Game 1  Kirk Gibson of the Los Angeles Dodgers comes off the bench to hit a walk-off home run against the Oakland Athletics. The Dodgers, heavy underdogs, go on to take the series in five games.

1988 - Mark McGwire, Oakland

1991, Game 6 - Kirby Puckett

1993, Game 6 - Joe Carter of the Toronto Blue Jays becomes the second person to win the World Series with a walk-off home run, against the Philadelphia Phillies

1999 - Chad Curtis, NY Yankees

2001, Game 4 - Derek Jeter

2003 - Alex González, Florida

2005, Game 2 - Scott Podsednik :D

Link

1095708[/snapback]

So, 14% of World Series have been determined by "walk off" home runs?

By the way, I hate that term...walk off...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now the astros have a good excuse of why they will lose now.

i wish the astros could do what they want I don’t want to hear anymore of Oh look at the sox they keep on getting the breaks. we can play with the roof open with it closed, we can play on the sand it doesn’t matter.........we are going all the way and that’s the bottom line.

Well now the astros have a good excuse of why they will lose now.

i wish the astros could do what they want I don’t want to hear anymore of Oh look at the sox they keep on getting the breaks. we can play with the roof open with it closed, we can play on the sand it doesn’t matter.........we are going all the way and that’s the bottom line.

1096141[/snapback]

This series isn't over yet. I'm not just saying that because Im an Astros fan. I'm saying that because the Astros have battled back all season, in the playoffs, and they will have to do it again now. If I remember correctly (which I do) the Astros were down last year 0-2 in the NLCS without Andy Pettite and I believe we won all 3 at home to go up 3-2, then lose in 7 because of a Jim Edmonds walk off HR in Game 6. And I believe we started this season off 15-30 and rallied back to win the WC. I'm tired of hearing about how the White Sox have destiny on their side. Both teams have it, not just Chi. If Backe is good in Game 4, Houston goes back to Chicago up 3-2. Mark my words...

Edit: No one will complain about the roof. I could care less. I think it is the Houston Organizations decision, but they won't make a big deal about it.

Edited by Primetime9287

This series isn't over yet.

1096521[/snapback]

You're d@mn right it isn't. I'm not expecting the Sox to do jack against Oswalt tonight. They need to get him to 100 pitches by the 7th and hope that the Astros bullpen blows it again. And a win won't be possible without a solid outing from Garland.

While I think the Sox will eventually win (especially with Clemens likely out), it'll be a dogfight and I'll be surprised if it doesn't go to 6 or 7 games. The 'Stros are solid top-to-bottom and aren't fazed by anything.

Here's to a great Series... :D

You're d@mn right it isn't.  I'm not expecting the Sox to do jack against Oswalt tonight.  They need to get him to 100 pitches by the 7th and hope that the Astros bullpen blows it again.  And a win won't be possible without a solid outing from Garland.

While I think the Sox will eventually win (especially with Clemens likely out), it'll be a dogfight and I'll be surprised if it doesn't go to 6 or 7 games.  The 'Stros are solid top-to-bottom and aren't fazed by anything.

Here's to a great Series...  :D

1096675[/snapback]

Bill, I heard yesterday Garner said Clemens will pitch if Game 5 is necessary (it better be, LOL) BTW, I never knew you before Bill but you are awesome man! Great fan. No homer comments by any means from you...Congrats on a great series, win or loss. I'll be happy for ya if the 'Stros can't get it done!

:D

Good job Chicago fans! You have succeeded in slapping Biggios wife in the face ! Haha. This was a funny article in the paper this morning but I found something on the web :

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3413703

1096872[/snapback]

I thought that she was slapped in the back of the head. Either way, it was a classless act by an idiot. Unfortunately, enough crap has happened at the Cell over the past few years that the fans are getting a bad rep... and it pisses me off.

Right 

no

one is complaining

1096562[/snapback]

:D I stand corrected...Well you you know all the Astros fans are gonna complain about the ball that "Hit" Dye. I'm, not saying i will, because you never know what would have happened on the 3-2 count, but you know if the 'Stros lose, the complaints will come in, especially if it goes 7 and they lose.

Bill, I heard yesterday Garner said Clemens will pitch if Game 5 is necessary (it better be, LOL)  BTW, I never knew you before Bill but you are awesome man!  Great fan.  No homer comments by any means from you...Congrats on a great series, win or loss.  I'll be happy for ya if the 'Stros can't get it done!

1096902[/snapback]

Interesting. I'm not sure how effective he'll be, but he's a gamer and I'm not terribly surprised.

Thanks. The last thing that ANY fan should do when their team is in the Series is mouth off and act like an a$$. In addition to bringing bad karma to their team, it (unfortunately) reflects poorly on ALL of the team's fans (which is why nobody where I'm from likes Yankees or Red Sox fans). The 'Stros fans I've met here in Texas have all been incredibly cool to me thus far and deserve the same respect they've shown me. On top of that, the current Astros team is (1) very talented and (2) full of a bunch of classy indivuduals (even Clemens the head-hunter is a good guy off the field). No reason to dislike that squad.

So, is Clemens really hurt, or did he just pull himself out because he knew he didn't have his stuff the other night?

1096986[/snapback]

No way that Clemens would take himself out of a game without being hurt. Especially THAT early.

Is Houston's #5 pitcher really that much worse than an injured Clemens? If there is a Game 5, I'd put Pettitte out there. He should be able to throw 6 innings on four days rest.

He threw 50 pitches in 2 innings, and only 4 of those were "swings and misses"...so, perhaps he didn't want to get lit up? I don't know--you'd think he wouldn't do that, but perhaps he knew. :D

1097015[/snapback]

Maybe, but it would seem out of character for him. And it's not like he hasn't had hamstring problems recently.

But I agree that if he pitches on Thursday, he's probably not going far into the game and it's probably not going to be his best performance.

If they are down 3-1 going into Game 5, I hope they bring Pettitte back Game 5, Oswalt Game 6 (if nec) and Clemens Game 7. If it is 2-2 going into Game 5, Id let Clemens pitch and go back to Chicago feeling comfortable with a well rested Pettitte and Oswalt. But who know, we might be down 4-0 and that not matter. I just don't see that one though. I think we'll at least get 1.

With all the stats, I think last year 0 MLB teams had come back from an 0-3 deficit to win and the Red Sox did it again a very good Yankees team. Not to mention they won the last two games in NY. Anything is possible. :D to a good game tonight!