[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Even though my masculinity will be questioned

MojoMan

Except for "kill the pill" as a kid, I've only played flag and touch. :D

For those of you who have played tackle football, preferably at the LARGE HS or college level, I've got a question.

On your average play when you get tackled or tackle someone (not just blocking), how much does it hurt (no actual injury...just getting driven into the ground--or having your momentum abruptly altered)?

How about on (old school) Astroturf. I've fallen on Astroturf during flag and it sucked.

Edited by MojoMan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I played at the Division III college level, and it is a tough question to answer. In High School, I played both TE and LB, and I played LB in college. First tackling, when you have the perfect hit, which is rare, you don't feel a thing, it just feel perfect. Some times it does hourt when you tackle. I remember in college the days after my games, I had bruises all over my arms, hands, and shins. The parts of your body that aren't covered by pads hurt when they hit the metal of helmets and shoulder pads. As for being tackled, most don't hurt too bad, but I have been lit up a few times both being tackled, and being blocked, and it doesnt feel tood good when you hit the ground.

...The parts of your body that aren't covered by pads hurt when they hit the metal of helmets and shoulder pads...

1092640[/snapback]

Metal helmets and shoulder pads? :D

You've never played a down of football in your life.

Busted. :D

Thanks to those who have responded.

I'd like to hear more since I know that I will not be engaging in any tackle football in my old, decrepit state.

Big John, do you mean eye gouging and other dirty tricks? I don't see any high G collisions on the line but what do I know?

Although I only played at the high school level, I spent most of my time on the D line. Delivering hits of any kind never hurt, at least not untill a couple hours after the game then the bruises showed and the aches came on. The biggest hurt was my pride when Id get fooled on a play and get caught by a crack back block. darn that sucked.

Metal helmets and shoulder pads?  :D

You've never played a down of football in your life. 

Busted.  :D

1092648[/snapback]

Sure thing dude. Here is my high school website.

http://www.ivwarriors.com/individual%20records.htm

My name is Marc Attivo, which can be seen on my poems. I'm 31 and still hold high school receiving records. I won the county football award and was 1st team All conference on offense and defense. I was a captain and 4-year letterwinner in college. Obviously I mis-spoke with the metal shoulder pads, by you busted nothing jackas$$. Lets hear your resume.......

Sure thing dude.  Here is my high school website. 

My name is Marc Attivo, which can be seen on my poems.  I'm 31 and still hold high school receiving records.  I won the county football award and was 1st team All conference on offense and defense.  I was a captain and 4-year letterwinner in college.  Obviously I mis-spoke with the metal shoulder pads, by you busted nothing jackas$$.  Lets hear your resume.......

1092662[/snapback]

Vet = :D

Big John, do you mean eye gouging and other dirty tricks?  I don't see any high G collisions on the line but what do I know?

1092656[/snapback]

Not the dirty tricks, but more like a situation fighting being double-teamed, then the TE gets a full-speed block.

Sure thing dude.  Here is my high school website. 

My name is Marc Attivo, which can be seen on my poems.  I'm 31 and still hold high school receiving records.  I won the county football award and was 1st team All conference on offense and defense.  I was a captain and 4-year letterwinner in college.  Obviously I mis-spoke with the metal shoulder pads, by you busted nothing jackas$$.  Lets hear your resume.......

1092662[/snapback]

You'll forgive me if I don't believe you.

Metal helmets and shoulderpads... :D

Thanks to those who have responded.

I'd like to hear more since I know that I will not be engaging in any tackle football in my old, decrepit state.

Big John, do you mean eye gouging and other dirty tricks?  I don't see any high G collisions on the line but what do I know?

1092656[/snapback]

You would be shocked at the stuff that goes on at the bottom of a pile, especially at the college level. If your ankle is twisted up on the play, you can fully expect that someone is going to twist it even more. I've had people gauge my eyes, twist my ankles, amongst other stuff. Also, as a linebacker in college, my biggest fear was getting my knees taken out by fullbacks. During the course of a game as a Middle Linebacker, you are taking on the fullback many, many times, it becomes a guessing game of whether he will go low or high. As a Linebacker, you are supposed to be able to adjust either way, if he goes high, take him straight on, if he goes low, sprawl back, keep your balance and continue on, but, trust me that is MUCH easier said than done.

You'll forgive me if I don't believe you.

Metal helmets and shoulderpads... :D

1092668[/snapback]

What more proof do you want. My name is on my poems and the high school page jacka$$. Otherwise I could care less what you believe. I was talking about the metal facemasks on helmets, and just the fact that your own body parts that are not padded, are where the most bumps and bruises come from.

By the way, why don't you link me to the records that you hold........

Edited by Menudo

FWIW, I believe you Menudo.

What's it like to play tackle on Astroturf?

Whenever I've fallen on it, it grinds up my flesh like sandpaper.

1092665[/snapback]

Well, I didn't have a ton of experience on turf. I played 2 games on turf in high school and 4 in college. My 2 experiences in college were on well taken care of turf, and they were fairly soft when you landed. The 2 I played at in high school were like playing on cement and each time I went down, I felt it.

I was never hit in an open field run as I was a lineman so I can't really offer what that might feel like.

I am on the same page as Big John up there in thinking that a lot of the blocking was harder than an actual tackle. I did break a kids leg one time while bringing him down. My helmut went right into his shin. Didn't know it was broke but the kid was in a ton of pain right away.

As far as pain while playing, I don't recall there being much on normal plays, but I can remember hurting like hell the next day. The worst football pain for me was actually a dislocated thumb.

Not the dirty tricks, but more like a situation fighting being double-teamed, then the TE gets a full-speed block.

1092667[/snapback]

Ah yeah. I get the picture.

Anyone ever play on Astroturf? That's gotta suck. EDIT: Answered by Menudo and Haywood.

Any more war stories?

Edited by MojoMan

I play minor league ball right now, and I played HS ball too. In HS, you really don't get blasted that much. Lots of guys don't really have the physical capibilities in HS to lay bone crushing hits. I play WR and I've had a couple of concussions over the past couple of years in minor league. The only time you really get rocked is when you are hung out to dry by the QB. That sucks. Otherwise most injuries are not contact related like ACLs and stuff. NFL is a whole different ballgame though. Guys don't get hit like that at the lower levels. Getting tackled on artificial turf does suck though. You just try and cover as much of your body as possible. If any skin is exposed, it gets torn up and hurts like a beeotch.

Dude, I've got to question your masculinity here.

Touchy Feely Football....c'mon man...grow a pair. :D

1092678[/snapback]

I was only 5'7" 135# in HS (skinny but in shape) and 5'9" 160# now (out of shape) so I'm hoping I'll be cut a little slack.

Plus, I have little chicken wing arms (easily broken by a crunching hit).

I was a decent tailback in HS football. For the most part, I never felt pain during the game. Getting tackled sometimes felt like getting overwhelmed by a wave at the beach, if you've ever experienced that. Violent hits cause you to temporarilly lose track of what direction is up vs. down, but no pain. The closest thing to pain was being on the bottom of a pile, and unable to breath with 1000 pounds of football players on top of you. I really hated that.

Serious injuries obviously hurt like hell. Other than that, all the bruises and scrapes I never felt until after the game. Yes there was some eye gouging and stuff, but I had ways of letting those guys know not to do it again. :D

I was a decent tailback in HS football. For the most part, I never felt pain during the game. Getting tackled sometimes felt like getting overwhelmed by a wave at the beach, if you've ever experienced that. Violent hits cause you to temporarilly lose track of what direction is up vs. down, but no pain. The closest thing to pain was being on the bottom of a pile, and unable to breath with 1000 pounds of football players on top of you. I really hated that.

Serious injuries obviously hurt like hell. Other than that, all the bruises and scrapes I never felt until after the game. Yes there was some eye gouging and stuff, but I had ways of letting those guys know not to do it again.  :D

1092687[/snapback]

Oh, I hated when people would pile on after a tackle. In HS, I played tailback too. I would get so claustrophobic when people piled on. I would start freaking out sometimes. They take forever to get off too. Those fatherless males. Plus sometimes you get the jackholes who want to try and hurt you when you're in the pile. They'll poke you in the eye or try to twist your ankles or something. That's some bull. That's some Romanowski type crap.

I used to play table football with those paper wedges in highschool. Sometimes when you would kick a field goal, you would be tackled. This happens when your finger misses as you flick the hard metal table instead of the paper wedge. That flippin sucks and hurts like a BlTCH!

:D:D:D