[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ties...

BigTen

Fellas, what if any rules do you have in your leagues for breaking ties. I personally do think that ties should remain as is, a tie. One league I am in has the rule that ties are decided by bench players. I hate this rule because I feel that you should not be penalized for guys that either you did not want to play or had no choice because they are on a bye. For example should you lose a game because all your bench players are on a bye while he has no one on a bye? Do you have any better suggenstions if a league insists on using ties? And yes, I will lose due to a tie and less bench points. But a rule is a rule and cannot be cahnged until next year.

P.S. Thanks Holgram, I really appreciate you not giving the ball to Alexander when you were on the 1 yd line. :D

Edited by BigTen

Fellas, what if any rules do you have in your leagues for breaking ties.  I personally do  think that ties should remain as is, a tie. One league I am in has the rule that ties are decided by bench players.  I hate this rule because I feel that you should not be penalized for guys that either you did not want to play or had no choice because they are on a bye.  For example should you lose a game because all your bench players are on a bye while he has no one on a bye? Do you have any better suggenstions if a league insists on using ties?  And yes, I will lose due to a tie and less bench points.  But a rule is a rule and cannot be cahnged until next year. 

P.S. Thanks Holgram, I really appreciate you not giving the ball to Alexander when you were on the 1 yd line. :D

1093682[/snapback]

We use decimal points to avoid these situations. No ties in 3 years. We've had losses by less then .5 of a point, now that hurts.

We use decimal points to avoid these situations.  No ties in 3 years.    We've had losses by less then .5 of a point, now that hurts.

1093685[/snapback]

How do you get the decimal points into the scoring system? Can you give me an example.

Almost all of the leagues I am in have decimal scoring which essentially eliminates ties.

Having said that ... a tie is a tie. There is no reason, in the regular season, to break a tie. Why should one owner be penalized when he scored the exact same as his opponent?

And using bench players to break a tie is horrendous for a variety of reasons including the ones you mentioned (related to byes) ... but I fail to see why a player that an owner choose NOT to start should make a difference in a game.

Now playoffs are a different animal.

How do you get the decimal points into the scoring system?  Can you give me an example.

1093690[/snapback]

Yahoo, MFL, etc... have the option of the decimal scoring system.

If you are still doing it on paper. 5 yards = 1/2 pt in a system where 10 yards = a pt. Every yard has some sort of value depending on your scoring system.

By the way, you may want to change your Avatar.

The only league I'm in that ties can occur (and they do) is an ancient scoring system that the owners just refuse to update - sound familiar Loaf!?! Anyways, we handle ties by total yardage of all starters. This tie breaking rule has never failed to determine a winner.

Two of my leagues break ties. In one, the least amount of yards given up by your starting defense determines the winner. In another, we designate one "overtime player" from our bench. My opponents OT player in that league this week was Dilfer...who wound up with -3 pts! Wish he had started him against me!

Almost all of the leagues I am in have decimal scoring which essentially eliminates ties.

Having said that ... a tie is a tie.  There is no reason, in the regular season, to break a tie.  Why should one owner be penalized when he scored the exact same as his opponent?

And using bench players to break a tie is horrendous for a variety of reasons including the ones you mentioned (related to byes) ... but I fail to see why a player that an owner choose NOT to start should make a difference in a game.

Now playoffs are a different animal.

1093691[/snapback]

We used to use bench players to break ties but we got away from that a few years ago. If its a tie we leave it a tie.