[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How bad is Gado

Guest Sores

For whats its worth I am going to give my meaningless opinion.

He will be a good flex player or a good #2 rb (if your thin) for the rest of the season. Defenses will watch film and pick up his style. He just doesn't have the runningback smarts yet to understand the game. As mentioned he is a practice guy squad who is fortunate.

Skill can only take you so far in the NFL...without knowledge, experience, and football smarts you will only get lucky games.

Christl is a tool. Gado is a rookie and it was his first ever start. I seriously doubt that Cadillac Williams was scrutinized this much after his big game in Week 1, yet I bet he made his share of mistakes. It's one thing to provide a reality check, it's entirely a different beast to put every single one of Gado's runs under a microscope.

1154888[/snapback]

Bingo. :D

If we're talking about a "hyped" rookie RB, then the article would be about how well he played in his 2nd game, despite a handful of mistakes.

Christl is so worried about avoiding the "instant optimism" characteristic of passionate Packers fans in Green Bay that he has reduced himself to writing all about why the Packers aren't EVER as good as they might seem. :D

Bingo. :D

If we're talking about a "hyped" rookie RB, then the article would be about how well he played in his 2nd game, despite a handful of mistakes.

Christl is so worried about avoiding the "instant optimism" characteristic of passionate Packers fans in Green Bay that he has reduced himself to writing all about why the Packers aren't EVER as good as they might seem.  :D

1155270[/snapback]

Swiss, Swiss, Swiss......I expect more from you! As an astute fan, you have to recognize that Christl and McGinn (who are often polar opposites) are the strongest Packer beat writers out there. A lot of "fans" don't like Christl because he is so detatched and couples incredible insight with pointed opinion. They want another rah rah fan reporting on their team. For those unfamiliar with Christl and his work, he has covered the Packers for eons. He does such a good job and is so respected for his work and his contacts within the NFL that he was originally asked by ESPN to be on their NFL Draft Panel with Berman et al. He is a bit of a curmudgeon, but a fine read.

Swiss, Swiss, Swiss......I expect more from you!  As an astute fan, you have to recognize that Christl and McGinn (who are often polar opposites) are the strongest Packer beat writers out there.  A lot of "fans" don't like Christl because he is so detatched and couples incredible insight with pointed opinion.  They want another rah rah fan reporting on their team.  For those unfamiliar with Christl and his work, he has covered the Packers for eons.  He does such a good job and is so respected for his work and his contacts within the NFL that he was originally asked by ESPN to be on their NFL Draft Panel with Berman et al.  He is a bit of a curmudgeon, but a fine read.

1155297[/snapback]

well said...therein lies the problem I have with MOST Packer fans I have encountered over the years. They always think their team is better than they are and always think they are the class of the NFL. I work with a woman who LOVES the Packers and she still thinks they will win the division or at least are the best team in the division. She has no grasp on reality and I can't stand it.

:D

Christl is a tool..... It's one thing to provide a reality check, it's entirely a different beast to put every single one of Gado's runs under a microscope.

1154888[/snapback]

Christl analyzes the game film after every game. He does a column each week pointing out positives and negatives that for the most part would go unnoticed sans evaluation of the game film. He not only analyzed Gado but the entire game... the entire team, as he does each week. Not sure if you need to be a member to read the whole thing (that's why I quoted it earlier)...but here it is from this last game.

Edited by Sores

Swiss, Swiss, Swiss......I expect more from you!  As an astute fan, you have to recognize that Christl and McGinn (who are often polar opposites) are the strongest Packer beat writers out there.  A lot of "fans" don't like Christl because he is so detatched and couples incredible insight with pointed opinion.  They want another rah rah fan reporting on their team.  For those unfamiliar with Christl and his work, he has covered the Packers for eons.  He does such a good job and is so respected for his work and his contacts within the NFL that he was originally asked by ESPN to be on their NFL Draft Panel with Berman et al.  He is a bit of a curmudgeon, but a fine read.

1155297[/snapback]

Say what you want about how astute and honest the guy is, I don't know his prior work so I can't comment. Nor do I find that particularly relevant.

This article, in and of itself, is pointless and stupid. Any writer who tries to "go against the grain" of those who have hopped on the Gado train by releasing this article really shows he is desperate for readers. Perhaps he is trying to create a stir like the media typically does by sensationalizing things. Regardless, I find the article to be out of touch with the reality of the situation:

You don't have to be rah rah Gado, at the same time, you don't have to break down game film and try to find all the plays when Gado was held to a 3 yard gain and then describe where his blockers went vs. where he went. No one even does this for the hall-of-fame to be RBs playing now (at least that I have seen), so why it makes sense to do it for a rookie out of Liberty in his 2nd NFL game is beyond me.

Edited by Steeltown Dre

Christl analyzes the game film after every game.  He does a column each week pointing out positives and negatives that for the most part would go unnoticed sans evaluation of the game film.  He not only analyzed Gado but the entire game... the entire team, as he does each week.  Not sure if you need to be a member to read the whole thing (that's why I quoted it earlier)...but here it is from this last game.

1155333[/snapback]

I didn't realize he did this for every game and every player. I thought he was just trying to keep people off the Gado train.

Anyhow, I still don't really see why analyzing 3 yard gains is particularly important.

:soapbox:

Most papers have thier writer who can't wait to plop the turd in the punchbowl. Writers who will go to great ends to tell us how something isn't really special or worth believing in. How the world actually sucks and there are no heroes, as if we don't already know it. Whatever.

I for one am enjoying believing in the miracle. The thought that the scouts don't always get it right. That there are gems buried in the cast-off chaff from NFL training camps. This is the kind of stuff that makes human garbage like TO tolerable. I like to think that lightning will strike again like 99-00 when a guy that was working at a freakin grocery store in 98 became MVP.

Do I think this kind of thinking will win me fantasy football? Naw, far from it. But gawddammit if it isn't fun to experience, and worth a few less fantasy points.

:soapbox:

edit: And I'm not even a Green Bay fan! :D

Edited by cre8tiff

Say what you want about how astute and honest the guy is, I don't know his prior work so I can't comment.  Nor do I find that particularly relevant. 

This article, in and of itself, is pointless and stupid.  Any writer who tries to "go against the grain" of those who have hopped on the Gado train by releasing this article really shows he is desperate for readers.  Perhaps he is trying to create a stir like the media typically does by sensationalizing things.  Regardless, I find the article to be out of touch with the reality of the situation:

You don't have to be rah rah Gado, at the same time, you don't have to break down game film and try to find all the plays when Gado was held to a 3 yard gain and then describe where his blockers went vs. where he went.  No one even does this for the hall-of-fame to be RBs playing now (at least that I have seen), so why it makes sense to do it for a rookie out of Liberty in his 2nd NFL game is beyond me.

1155340[/snapback]

Read the article as a whole. It is all posted here or click on the link above. If you still don't get it, go down to your local community college and enroll in a reading comprehension class. You will then learn to break down a story and all of it's elements. This is a wonderful skill to have not only when reading these boards but also while reading the paper, a book, a menu, instructions for your new DVR or most other printed material. :D

As a primer, I will try to explain as succinctly as possible. There IS a lot of Rah Rah Gado going on. Christl's take was to temper some of the enthusiasm with a reality check pointing out some possibly career determining problems with Gado's vision and instincts on the football field, while at the same time praising him for a job well done considering the circumstances.

edit to add emoticon so you know I am mostly kidding!

Edited by Sores

As a primer, I will try to explain as succinctly as possible.  There IS a lot of Rah Rah Gado going on.  Christl's take was to temper some of the enthusiasm with a reality check pointing out some possibly career determining problems with Gado's vision and instincts on the football field, while at the same time praising him for a job well done considering the circumstances.

edit to add emoticon so you know I am mostly kidding!

1155355[/snapback]

We cannot read the article without plopping down $5.00 to become members, and I am not a Packer fan...

If you don't think this guy wrote this article to be self-serving you are naive. Writers thrive on publicity. He obviously wants to stand out from the herd, and so examined the film with the idea of picking the flaws and reporting them. If he does this with the ENTIRE TEAM, then that is quite a statement on his negativity. I'm sure he gets quite a lot of attention in telling Favre where he should have thrown it on those INTs. But I somehow doubt he does that. If he does, post it.

Unless he is a total MORAN, which you profess he is not, he knows EXACTLY what he is doing and is making the most of HIS opportunity to gain attention.

We cannot read the article without plopping down $5.00 to become members, and I am not a Packer fan...

If you don't think this guy wrote this article to be self-serving you are naive. Writers thrive on publicity. He obviously wants to stand out from the herd, and so examined the film with the idea of picking the flaws and reporting them.  If he does this with the ENTIRE TEAM, then that is quite a statement on his negativity. I'm sure he gets quite a lot of attention in telling Favre where he should have thrown it on those INTs. But I somehow doubt he does that. If he does, post it.

Unless he is a total MORAN, which you profess he is not, he knows EXACTLY what he is doing and is making the most of HIS opportunity to gain attention.

1155381[/snapback]

Posts #1 and #12 have the entire Gado piece. Of COURSE Christl is trying to get people to read his column. That is his job. That is the point of being a newspaper columnist.

As for his commentary on Favre (and the state of the Packers...and this was pre-several injuries), this article sums up what he has been saying for 2 years...

Green Bay - It’s time to take off the blinders. It’s time to get over the denial. It’s time to face reality.

The Green Bay Packers are an aging team heading for a crash landing. This is 1968 all over again. A glorious era is nearing the end.

Yes, it’s possible the Packers could still make the playoffs by default. That’s because a losing record might win the NFC North.

But it’s absurd to think of this team as anything but a band of mostly over-the-hill veterans and not-good-enough youngsters.

You’re probably not going to hear Ted Thompson, Mike Sherman or any of the players admit it. But nobody should be misled by their bravado. Nor should anyone be fooled into thinking that if it weren’t for the penalties or their other laments that the Packers would be 2-1 or better and the team to catch in their division.

Brett Favre may not be at the depths of where Y.A. Tittle found himself at the end of his career in the 1960s, but he's no longer able to singlehandedly carry the Packers.

True, they have lost their last two games by a total of three points. They’re still competitive. They haven’t sunk into the abyss that swallowed them during the 1970s and ‘80s. But that’s only because they have a warrior of a quarterback in Brett Favre who despite his dagger-to-the-heart interceptions is battling to make one last gallant stand.

And it would be a mistake to underestimate him.

He’s by no means washed up. He’s no Y.A. Tittle, bald-headed, down on both knees, blood streaming down his face. He’s not what Bart Starr became at the end, a quarterback with a dead arm.

But Favre is no longer the player he once was. His mere presence in the lineup doesn’t guarantee eight wins. He’s more dependent on his supporting cast than ever. And his supporting cast is slipping faster than he is.

Javon Walker, the only youthful playmaker on the roster, is out for the year with an injury.

Ahman Green is in decline; it’s just not clear if he’s in the early stages of it or already in the late stages. Maybe the blocking isn’t there and maybe he isn’t getting the ball enough, but here’s one of the ways you tell when a back is losing it. He stops making yardage on his own. The Green of old broke runs even when the creases and holes didn’t appear to be there. The Green of late rarely does that.

At 34, William Henderson is finished. And Mike Flanagan looks to be near the end at 31.

The tackles are more than solid, although they might not be run blocking as well as they have in the past. Donald Driver still has the capability to make an occasional play.

And all the others are either inconsequential or liabilities.

It’s not surprising that the Packers find themselves in this state. They haven’t had a losing record in 13 years. They’d soon be defying NFL history if they didn’t take a nosedive.

But that doesn’t make it easy for those running the organization, the players, the fans or anyone else to accept.

Just as it is in life, nobody wants to admit they’re washed up or even admit it about someone they care about.

It was no different almost 40 years ago when the Lombardi dynasty crumbled almost as fast as a small town in the eye of a hurricane.

In 1967, the Packers won a record-tying third straight National Football League championship and a second straight Super Bowl. The following year, 21 of their 22 starters from Super Bowl II were back, plus Jim Grabowski, who would have started if he hadn’t been injured. But the Packers plummeted to 6-7-1.

Much of the blame was directed at the kicking game. And, no doubt, Vince Lombardi’s absence from the sidelines was a factor. But the biggest culprit was old age.

Within three years, the Packers were down to six starters from their Super Bowl team and finished at the bottom of the NFC Central Division with a 4-8-2 record.

That also was the year that Hall of Fame linebacker Ray Nitschke, one of the defining faces of the Lombardi era, was benched for second-year man Jim Carter. It led to one of the messier chapters in Packers’ history, but also served as a lesson for times like this.

Nitschke’s legs were shot. He could still deliver his patented forearm shiver and he could still run in a straight line. But he could no longer fend off cut blocks, change direction or dart his way through trash.

He couldn’t accept that he had lost it. The fans couldn’t believe that he had lost it and mercilessly booed Carter. Nobody seemed to get it. After all, just two years earlier, Nitschke had received all-pro recognition.

But the game films revealed what so many couldn’t see on the surface.

Carter not only was a younger player, he was tougher and better. And he was tougher and better between the tackles, the ground where no one was more feared at one time than Nitschke.

Yes, even the legends succumb to father time. And the Packers’ time is up.

No matter what their record winds up being this season, no matter where they finish, they’re going nowhere until they rebuild or at least reload with one or two special young players.

Additional Favre commentary:

And that brings us to Favre. After two games, he has thrown four interceptions compared to three touchdowns. He has a passer rating of 76.1 and ranks 17th in the NFL. Clearly, those are not Favre-like numbers. Is that because he’s slipping fast or because he’s only as good as the players around him? Facing second-and-10 after Fisher was stuffed at the line, Favre threw the ball into the end zone to Robert Ferguson hoping his receiver would win a jump ball with cornerback Gary Baxter. William Henderson was wide open in the right flat.

Had Favre been more patient, he could have avoided the interception and Henderson probably would have gained 7, 8 or more yards. But at some point, somebody was going to have to make a play for the Packers to score a touchdown. And if you’re Favre, down 13-7 late in the third quarter and without Walker and Green on the field, you know that somebody almost has to be you. Plus, Favre has taken chances in every game of his career. That’s what made him a great quarterback: Making throws into tight quarters that nobody else could.

But so far this season, he isn’t making plays, whether he’s being patient or daring. The Packers are moving the ball. They had two long drives against Detroit - one that took more than eight minutes and another that took almost five - that netted three points. Against the Browns, the Packers had drives of 80, 43 and 61 yards in the first three quarters and scored a lone touchdown.

:D I apologize in advance for posting such long articles (I feel like Skins), but wanted to answer the question raised by Cre8tiff.

1155297[/snapback]

Listen, I'm sure I'm not as familiar with Christl's work as you are, but almost every Christl piece I've read has been tilted against the Packers. Believe me -- I understand his bent. Packers fans, especially in Green Bay, are often unreasonably optimistic. I'm sure it gets old for a guy of Christl's expertise (and I don't mean that sarcastically).

Still, to write an entire article devoted to proving that Samkon Gado doesn't have the vision of of Walter Payton is ridiculous. I doubt even the most myopic Green Bay native believes, after 2 decent games, that we have filled our RB position for the next 8 years. All seven of Christl's examples could have been summarized by saying something like, "Despite unbridled enthusiasm following a good performance by Gado, the rookie runner mixed several bad runs in with his good ones. Whether his vision and decision-making improve is anyone's guess." Those two sentences would have had exactly the same effect as the entire article.

I'm not saying Christl doesn't write well or that he doesn't know his football. I just wish he'd put his talents/knowledge/NFL contacts to better use.