[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers - Bengals Grudge Match

The Irish Doggy

Bengals @ Steelers - who gets the W?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Bengals @ Steelers - who gets the W?

• Bengals
    • Steelers

The Bengals are 8-3, on top of the AFC North with a 3-1 division record. Of course, the one division loss came vs. Pitt :D (7-4 overall, 3-1 div) in the oft referenced 1 bad game for the Bengals this season.

To borrow the phrase - "conventional wisdom" has Pitt winning at home after 2 losses. They can't lose 3 in a row, right? :D

But those crazy Bengals have just exploded on offense the last 2 weeks with 37 vs. Colts and 42 vs. Ratbirds. Everyone is healthy and allowed only one sack in those 2 games while Carson passed for 630/5/2. :D The Steelers have given out sacks like Halloween candy against the same 2 opponents. :D

Pitt really looked out of sorts on MNF and has a short week. But maybe Big Ben just needed to knock the rust off. :D Vegas still likes the Steelers as a 3.5 point fav.

The BIG CARROT for this game is that the winner has the inside track on winning the division. :D If Pitt wins, both teams are tied at 8-4, but the Steelers have 2 wins v. Bengals and become the division favorite. If the Bengals win they are 9-3, Pitt is 7-5, and the division is likely settled. :D

What say you Huddle? :D

Who-dey.

O.k., here we go. Yes, the Bengals have been impressive offensively the last 2 weeks, but their defense has not been.

For the Steelers, I believe this is a make or break game. If they win, I really think they will win out and win the division. If they lose, I think they continue their fall and fail to make the playoffs. :D

I believe this is going to be a very close game. I expect the Steelers to get ripped this week and come in focused. The Steelers need to re-establish the running game, and I think they can do that against the Bengals, who struggle against the run. I really wasn't disappointed in the defense Monday night, other than the first play.

The Bengals have the most prolific offense this side of the Colts, and are very dangerous. I look for them to hit a few big plays, but in the end, I expect a fired up Steeler team to be able to run the ball and control the clock........

Steelers 23

Bengals 20

Edited by Menudo

Steelers - they should be able to run the ball on Cincy like they did in the first meeting, and the Steelers have been able to hold Palmer in check pretty well.

If the Steelers can't run the ball and/or the Bengals continue their offensive Juggernautishness (I like to make up words) the Steelers will be in trouble.

And I agree that if the Steelers lose, they probably won't even make the playoffs.

For the Steelers, I believe this is a make or break game.  If they win, I really think they will win out and win the division.  If they lose, I think they continue their fall and fail to make the playoffs.  :D

1181949[/snapback]

And I agree that if the Steelers lose, they probably won't even make the playoffs.

1181995[/snapback]

So little faith? I'll be shocked if they go less than 10-6 no matter how this game plays out.

So little faith?  I'll be shocked if they go less than 10-6 no matter how this game plays out.

1182083[/snapback]

10-6 might not get you in the AFC playoffs. I don't know what the tie-breaker situation is, but the Chargers, Chiefs, Jaguars and whoever loses the Steelers/Bengals game could easily all end up tied at 10-6 for two wildcard spots. Both teams need this game - this is a HUGH game.

I like the Bengals in this spot and the Steelers have a short week etc BUT they are at home and it's close to a must win.

I'm hoping and picking the Bengals but a Steeler victory wouldn't suprise me.

They real question is who has the better QB?

:D

So little faith?  I'll be shocked if they go less than 10-6 no matter how this game plays out.

1182083[/snapback]

I have tons of faith. I predicted that they will beat the Bengals and win out to finish 12-4. If they lose to the Bengals, however, I think their confidence sinks even lower than it is and they end up at 10-6, which, like Vet said, is no guarantee of a playoff spot in the AFC.

I like the Bengals in this spot and the Steelers have a short week etc BUT they are at home and it's close to a must win.

I'm hoping and picking the Bengals but a Steeler victory wouldn't suprise me.

1182163[/snapback]

Tommy Maddox

Edited by Menudo

1182163[/snapback]

Good question.

The Carson Palmer vs. Ben Roethlisberger argument is kind of like the Poor Man's Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning argument.

And I do mean "Poor Man's"....

I believe we will witness the passing of the torch in the AFC North this weekend.

Bengals 41

Steelers 17

1181957[/snapback]

I think I said the exact same thing the last time they played, and that sure didn't pan out.

Talent-wise, there is no doubt in my mind that the Bengals (on AVERAGE) are every bit as good as the Steelers (better in some facets, like QB :D , and worse in others).

However, the Steelers edge has been that they are in the head of Carson (and the whole team for that matter). The Pats have had that hold on the Colts, I'm sure there are other examples. Last time the Bengals drove the field on the first 2 drives and came away w/ an easy TD drop, and a turnover, I think. That got into their physche BIG TIME and they couldn't recover. Last year, the Bengals outplayed the Steelers in both games, but physched themselves into losing in the 4th quarter both times. Don't get your panties all bunched up, Steeler fans, Pitt is a great team to be able to do that. I'm not knocking the Steelers. I'm just saying that they are not much better (if at all) talent-wise.

So the question is WHEN will the Bengals get over that mental hump? Will it be this Sunday?

The answer is...............YES

Bengals 24

Steelers 14

Good question.

The Carson Palmer vs. Ben Roethlisberger argument is kind of like the Poor Man's Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning argument.

And I do mean "Poor Man's"....

1182172[/snapback]

I'll pass on the bait. I really don't have the patience to go through it again. You are never going to talk REAL football comparisons to people on a FANTASY football website, so I'll stop now.

I'll pass on the bait.  I really don't have the patience to go through it again.  You are never going to talk REAL football comparisons to people on a FANTASY football website, so I'll stop now.

1182373[/snapback]

In other words, I'm right.

However, the Steelers edge has been that they are in the head of Carson (and the whole team for that matter).  The Pats have had that hold on the Colts, I'm sure there are other examples.  Last time the Bengals drove the field on the first 2 drives and came away w/ an easy TD drop, and a turnover, I think.  That got into their physche BIG TIME and they couldn't recover. 

1182206[/snapback]

I'm also curious to see how Carson deals with his Steeler phobia. Also being a big believer in the intangible stuff like momentum, you could just feel the air going out of the team after that first drive earlier in the year. They were moving the ball very well, Chad stretched out for a phenomenal TD catch -- which was reviewed and overturned. And it took like 8 minutes to review the stupid thing. Then a wide-open Henry dropped a pass in his breadbasket in the end zone. Then Graham missed the field goal. It's like the Steelers were back in their heads and not leaving after that first drive.

Everybody talks of this as a must-win for the Steelers, but I think it's even more true for the Bengals and Carson Palmer. The Steelers are playing for a playoff spot. The Bengals are playing for respect. If Carson ever has a hope of taking this team to the Super Bowl (no, not this year ...) he's gotta beat Pittsburgh.