[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone Know hot to Draft Differently?

Pope Flick

Auction.

1186976[/snapback]

Good one, and so obvious I hadn't thought of that.

Someone mentioned using an algorithm but I don't remember the thread.

Also reordering every 2 rounds makes it more random, but maybe too random?

Yes, one of my leagues has a 'different way of doing things' draft-wise.

First, we can keep as many players from the previous year as we want ... the only restriction is that a player will cost a pick in a round three rounds before where they were picked the previous year. So, an 8th round pick this year will cost a 5th round pick next year. Any player picked in the first three rounds automatically goes back in the pot for next year. Free agents cost a 7th round pick to keep.

Second, we have a random dice roll for draft order, 1-12.

Third, we have the following draft order, by round, because we believe that the team drafting first overall has a huge advantage given that (generally) several dozen players will be kept ... players that would otherwise be drafted in rounds 1-4 but only cost some late round pick due to a savvy drafter looking ahead.

The order, by rounds is:

Round 1: 1-12

Round 2: 12-1

Round 3: 12-1

Round 4: 1-12

Round 5: 12-1

...etc...

...essentially, we do a normal serpentine, except that we flip the 3rd round to go the same order as the 2nd round, and do serpentine it from there... We've used this approach for seven years now.

That's a serpentine.

1187013[/snapback]

No, a serpentine would be 1-10, 10-1, 1-10, 10-1.

If you want it to be totally fair, uou could just randomly assign players to teams. Then randomly assign waiver wire players to teams.

Then randomly starting choose line-ups.

Then randomly distribute the money at the end of the year.

I created a weighed random order generator this year that is web-available. Our league only has 1 out of 12 teams eliminated with 2 weeks to go. I will send the link, if you want to play around with it.

1187495[/snapback]

Can you post it? Otherwise PM, that'd be great - thanks in advance.

Can auction drafts even be done on the net? On sites like CBS?

I've only been in serpentines - and for a couple years I was in a league where the draft order was determined by some random order deal. I actually liked it - except the flow of the draft was different because you really had to pay attention from round to round to keep track of and prepare for your picks.

Edited by TheCMB

I dunno about CBS, but we did one here in our ConFusion league.

Just takes a couple of months  :D

1187535[/snapback]

That's what I figured - I would still love to do an auction league. Guess I need to convince my dead-set in their ways local...

In the the league I commish the draft does the following:

RD 1: 1-11, 12 takes two picks

RD 2: 1-10, 11 takes two picks, 12

RD 3: 1-9, 10 takes two picks, 11-12

RD 4: 1-8, 9 takes two picks, 10-12

And so forth.....

This draft order has worked pretty well in promoting parity. We've had no repeat winners in the last five years. :D

12 team redraft. This year the first 4 draft picking teams made the playoffs.

I've seen mention of draft systems other than serpentine, anyone know of one or used one before?

Also, vote in the poll, as these two threads are a minor semi-scientific survey of post season FF in 2005....

1186971[/snapback]

I understand what you are getting at, but I think I read an article in a FF magazine this year where they broke down a bunch of drafts in a the same scoring system and the playoff teams were equally distributed relative to drafting position in a serpentine.

The Dash-4 BOTH league also uses the modified serpentine that muck describes above. It's a little bit weird at first but it is the most balanced draft method when all is said and done.

Local 10 team redraft.

You can keep one player from your previous years team, which would be your first round pick. All owners who keep are in the bottom half of the 2nd round. All other picks are determined by drawing cards (out of a covered bowl with a slot just big enough to get your hand in). We start with round 20 and work our way back to round 1. Last years finish determines who pulls a card first. If in round 20 you took card 10, you would be the first one to pull a card to see what your pick is in round 19, and so on.

Some guys can get the shaft and some can get pretty lucky and the results are not like you might think. We have done it this way for 15 years and I can't get anyone to change!

Personally, I would like to try auction.

Local 10 team redraft.

You can keep one player from your previous years team, which would be your first round pick. All owners who keep are in the bottom half of the 2nd round. All other picks are determined by drawing cards (out of a covered bowl with a slot just big enough to get your hand in). We start with round 20 and work our way back to round 1. Last years finish determines who pulls a card first. If in round 20 you took card 10, you would be the first one to pull a card to see what your pick is in round 19, and so on.

Some guys can get the shaft and some can get pretty lucky and the results are not like you might think. We have done it this way for 15 years and I can't get anyone to change!

Personally, I would like to try auction.

1188802[/snapback]

I don't get the point of working backwards.....wouldn't that simply mean Edge, LT and Co would be drafted in the 20th round, which is the first round in reality? :D

If you want it to be totally fair, uou could just randomly assign players to teams.  Then randomly assign waiver wire players to teams.

Then randomly starting choose line-ups.

Then randomly distribute the money at the end of the year.

1187034[/snapback]

If you randomly chooose owners for this league, count me in.

I've been kicking around the idea of a draft/auction hybrid league.

Start the proceedings with an auction and give everybody a $100 bucks. If somebody wants to blow his $100 wad on LT2 or Alexander, so be it. If another owner thinks spending $20 each on five mid-level players is a good idea, more power to him. After everybody has spent their money, a serpentine draft commences to fill out the rosters.

To prevent a player from grabbing a bunch of mid-level players you could cap the number of players to be acquired in the auction at five, or require a minimum bid of $5.

edit to add: This isn't an original idea. A buddy of mine alerted me to an article on it. Can't remember where it was. Might have even been on this site a few years ago.

Edited by General Itals