[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Fantasy Advice - Individual Defensive Players

darin3

Hey all. If anyone's in an IDP league and is faced with a tough WDIS decision, or looking to pick up a sleeper (um, there's something on the main page that can help you there), or making a trade... fire those questions at me. I'm ready for 'em!

:D

Hint:  Start Kyle Vandenbosch this week.

1199407[/snapback]

I started him last week and he got me 0.5 points. Why start him this week? I really have no better option, just curious as to why you think he tanked last week and why you think he'll be good this week.

I started him last week and he got me 0.5 points. Why start him this week? I really have no better option, just curious as to why you think he tanked last week and why you think he'll be good this week.

1199423[/snapback]

Easy, 'cuz the Colts' (last week's opponent) line has been outstanding in protecting Peyton Manning this season (only NINE sacks allowed on the season). This week opponent? The Houston Texans. Um, they've been known to give up a sack or two. That's where Mr. Vandenbosch gets the bulk of his fantasy points. Plus, the Texans are just an overall worse team and more prone to turnovers. Vandenbosch has a nose for the ball, and could force or recover a fumble.

Easy, 'cuz the Colts' (last week's opponent) line has been outstanding in protecting Peyton Manning this season (only NINE sacks allowed on the season).  This week opponent?  The Houston Texans.  Um, they've been known to give up a sack or two.  That's where Mr. Vandenbosch gets the bulk of his fantasy points.  Plus, the Texans are just an overall worse team and more prone to turnovers.  Vandenbosch has a nose for the ball, and could force or recover a fumble.

1199433[/snapback]

Cool, you're making me feel all giddy inside. :D

OK, WDIS?

Pick 3:

Bulluck vs. Houston

Fletcher vs. New England

Vilma vs. Oakland

Washington at Arizona

Pick 2:

Boulware vs. San Fran

Chavous vs. St. Louis

O'Neal vs. Cleveland

Scott vs. New Orleans

I bolded who I'm leaning towards starting. At DT/DE I'm going with Vandenbosch and Schobel, my other options aren't worth discussing.

And since I have you here:

Favre vs. Detroit

Manning at Philadelphia

Warner vs. Washington

Thanks. :D

OK, WDIS?

Pick 3:

Bulluck vs. Houston

Fletcher vs. New England

Vilma vs. Oakland

Washington at Arizona

Pick 2:

Boulware vs. San Fran

Chavous vs. St. Louis

O'Neal vs. Cleveland

Scott vs. New Orleans

I bolded who I'm leaning towards starting. At DT/DE I'm going with Vandenbosch and Schobel, my other options aren't worth discussing.

And since I have you here:

Favre vs. Detroit

Manning at Philadelphia

Warner vs. Washington

Thanks. :D

1199491[/snapback]

H1,

Love those LBs. No sense in sitting any of those studs for Washington. Especially since Washington's going to be playing a team airing the ball up 75% of the time.

With respect to the DBs, I might go another route. Boulware had a hugh game on Monday night in terms of pass defense (INT/PD)... but he had no tackles. I don't think the Niners will pose any threat to the Seahawks... so you could expect minimal stats from Boulware again this week. I'd be inclined to give Chavous a shot. Your Vikes have been playing MUCH better defense as of late, and host a rookie QB-led St. Louis team that will surely air it out. Chavous' tackle totals have been generally unimpressive, but I'd rather give him a shot than Boulware. I'd start Chavous and O'Neal.

Vandenbosch, as I hinted at earlier, should have his way with the swiss cheese-like Texan O-line. Schobel has been generally disappointing this season, but he does have nine sacks. So if anyone's gonna get to Mr. Wonderful, it's Schobel. With the between-the-tackles runner back for the Pats (Dillon), expect Schobel and the front four to be in on more tackles than normal, too.

As for the QB, I really want to say Warner. I really do. I don't care if he faces an all-star team... any QB that's been given the green light to huck it up that much is gonna get you 300 yards easily. Add in the fact that they'll be down. Add in garbage time. The worrisome thing with Warner is the fact that the Cardinal offense stagnates once they get in the red zone or anywhere close to it. Hence the lack of TDs. That said, I will recommend old man Favre against your favorite Kitties. He'll have a bounce-back game on national TV, despite the bumps and bruises he got from the Bear game. Manning will carve up the Eagle secondary for the first half, and then just hand the ball to Tiki and Jacobs all day. So I think Favre and his 250-280 yards and 2-3 scores has to be your choice.

:D:D

H1,

Love those LBs.  No sense in sitting any of those studs for Washington.  Especially since Washington's going to be playing a team airing the ball up 75% of the time.

With respect to the DBs, I might go another route.  Boulware had a hugh game on Monday night in terms of pass defense (INT/PD)... but he had no tackles.  I don't think the Niners will pose any threat to the Seahawks... so you could expect minimal stats from Boulware again this week.  I'd be inclined to give Chavous a shot.  Your Vikes have been playing MUCH better defense as of late, and host a rookie QB-led St. Louis team that will surely air it out.  Chavous' tackle totals have been generally unimpressive, but I'd rather give him a shot than Boulware.  I'd start Chavous and O'Neal.

Vandenbosch, as I hinted at earlier, should have his way with the swiss cheese-like Texan O-line.  Schobel has been generally disappointing this season, but he does have nine sacks.  So if anyone's gonna get to Mr. Wonderful, it's Schobel.  With the between-the-tackles runner back for the Pats (Dillon), expect Schobel and the front four to be in on more tackles than normal, too.

As for the QB, I really want to say Warner.  I really do.  I don't care if he faces an all-star team... any QB that's been given the green light to huck it up that much is gonna get you 300 yards easily.  Add in the fact that they'll be down.  Add in garbage time.  The worrisome thing with Warner is the fact that the Cardinal offense stagnates once they get in the red zone or anywhere close to it.  Hence the lack of TDs.  That said, I will recommend old man Favre against your favorite Kitties.  He'll have a bounce-back game on national TV, despite the bumps and bruises he got from the Bear game.  Manning will carve up the Eagle secondary for the first half, and then just hand the ball to Tiki and Jacobs all day.  So I think Favre and his 250-280 yards and 2-3 scores has to be your choice.

:D  :D

1199643[/snapback]

Darin for President :D Thanks for backing me up in rew's thread :D

Bart Scott and Tommy Polley have been filling in for Ray since he went out. Both have done pretty well, I think Scott has earned himself a starting spot, if not in BAL then somewhere else next season.

Just a heads up from Baltimore

If you could start ANY IDP at DB (LBs and secondary) or DL, who would you start? They are probably available in my league's FA pool since every team in my league only have "name" guys playing. In other words, would you be so kind as to list a TOP 5 IDP players for this week?

Kyle vanden Bosch sacked Mannign twice last week, but both were nullified by CB Pac Man Jones holding and hands to the face penalties.  Vanden Bosch is an every week starter, especially vs Houston, and that pathetic OL.

1201724[/snapback]

Thanks for the info Sarge. :D

Well, he's certinly no sleeper, but like I posted in the IDP forum, I am really surprised to see Zach Thomas completely absent from the Injury Report.  If it comes down to a choice between him and Lemar Marshall, is it likely to be worth the risk?

1200242[/snapback]

I could have sworn I saw him on the injury report yesterday. But you're correct: he's not on either the NFL or the Dolphins' injury report. If he's certain to go, he's a terrific start as he'll be chasing LT and Gates all day. If he's somehow re-added to the report come Friday, throw Marshall out there. Keep in mind, though, that Washington faces the Cards, who will be doing a ton of passing and little running, which could affect Marshall''s stats. I own Marshall in an IDP league and he's been a pleasant surprise. But I am not expecting much out of him this week. So monitor the Thomas situation, and if necessary, put Marshall in.

I need to start 3 of these 4 stud LBs:

D Brooks

L Fletcher

Z Thomas

J Vilma

Thinking of still benching Thomas as he still might not be 100%.

1200765[/snapback]

As I noted in the post above, I'm shocked to see Thomas omitted from this week's injury report. I could have sworn he was on it yesterday when I first saw the injury report on NFL.com. You can't bench Vilma. Brooks has been impressive after a slow-ish start. And Fletcher's solid. If anything, perhaps put Fletcher on the pine for Thomas, if in fact he is 100%. Thomas will be busy trying to contain the likes of LT and Gates.

Edit: Just looked at Fletcher's past few weeks... you can't bench that guy. Perhaps you bench Brooks, as Fletcher's been mega-hot and Brooks could give way to Quarles in terms of fantasy output.

Edited by darin3

With Ray-Ray gone for the year, who steps in at LB, and will they have any significant fantasy value?

1201235[/snapback]

Have you been reading the IDP Sleeper Report weekly? :D

Bart Scott - Scott has the potential for hugh games. Since Week 8, he's had games where he's gone for 27, 26 and 21 fantasy points (using The Huddle's IDP League scoring). He's also scored very bland totals of 9, 8 and 12 points since that time, too. If you're looking to go for the jugular, he's probably worth the risk.

Tommy Polley - Polley's posted admirable stats, just like Scott. Difference between him and Scott, though, is Polley's consistency. He hasn't scored less than 12 fantasy points since Week 8, with a high score of 18 fantasy points. So if you want to play it safe and get a sure-thing 12-18 fantasy points, Polley's your man.

Both, actually, are solid plays against the triple-headed RBBC in Denver this week, as I noted in my IDP Sleeper article. :D

Bart Scott and Tommy Polley have been filling in for Ray since he went out. Both have done pretty well, I think Scott has earned himself a starting spot, if not in BAL then somewhere else next season.

Just a heads up from Baltimore

1201574[/snapback]

Good call. :D

If you could start ANY IDP at DB (LBs and secondary) or DL, who would you start? They are probably available in my league's FA pool since every team in my league only have "name" guys playing. In other words, would you be so kind as to list a TOP 5 IDP players for this week?

1201608[/snapback]

P.S. here is the league scoring system

Tackle Solo (0.5)

Sack (3)

Interception (2)

Fumble Force (2)

Fumble Recovery (2)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (2)

Pass Defended (1)

Block Kick (2)

1201608[/snapback]

Sarge's IDP Report should probably give you some insight.

So you're looking at DL and DB only? What about LB? LBs are the "running backs of the IDP side"... as they consistently put up the best numbers and are almost assured of scoring fantasy points. That said, I will give you a top-5 for DBs, top-5 for DLs, top-5 for LBs, overall top-5 with LBs and just in case you're looking for DBs/DLs only, a top-5 excluding LBs.

Defensive Backs

1. Gibril Wilson (NYG) - Did you see what the pretty average Seahawk secondary did to the Eagles on MNF?

2. Adrian Wilson (ARI) - The hottest DB over the past 3 weeks. Washington won't air it out much, but Wilson will still have opportunities.

3. Roy Williams (DAL) - One of the hotter and consistent DBs over the past 3 weeks. KC will air it out, and Williams will have opportunities.

4. Charles Tillman (CHI) - Gotta include a Bear on this list. He'll probably shadow Hines Ward and Big Ben will look Ward's way a ton.

5. Troy Polamalu (PIT) - The Steeler D will have to come up pretty big against the Bears. The long-haired one will have to have a hugh game.

Defensive Linemen

1. Michael Strahan (NYG) - Facing the Detmer-led Eagles will be a feast for the G-men.

2. Osi Umenyiora (NYG) - See above.

3. Kyle Vanden Bosch (TEN) - Facing the hapless Texan O-line will be easy pickin's for the Titan DE.

4. Jason Taylor (MIA) - The top DL this season. If Zach Thomas isn't 100%, Taylor will be looked to pick up the slack in tackling LT and Gates.

5. Robert Mathis (IND) - With the focus on stopping uber-stud DE Dwight Freeney, Mathis has earned the 2nd best DL slot on the season. Jag QB David Garrard can scramble, but Mathis can run too.

Linebackers

1. Mike Peterson (JAX) - Will be very busy chasing Edge around.

2. Donnie Edwards (SD) - Mr. Consistent. Will be busy chasing Ricky and Ronnie.

3. London Fletcher (BUF) - No one's been hotter over the past 3 weeks. With Dillon back in the mix for the Patsies, Fletcher will be busier than ever.

4. Derrick Brooks (TB) - The vet had a pretty slow start, but has been consistent over the past 6 weeks. Facing a divisional foe in the Carolina Panthers will pump him up.

5. Jonathan Vilma (NYJ) - Could probably be higher on this list, as he IS the #1 LB. But the Raiders will be doing alot of downfield passing this week. Could limit Vilma's opportunties.

Top 5 (with LBs)

Uh, well, now that I look at the list, I'd want one of those LBs over anyone.

Top 5 (without LBs)

1. G. Wilson

2. Strahan

3. A. Wilson

4. Umenyiora

5. Williams

Good luck, hope this helped.

Kyle vanden Bosch sacked Mannign twice last week, but both were nullified by CB Pac Man Jones holding and hands to the face penalties.  Vanden Bosch is an every week starter, especially vs Houston, and that pathetic OL.

1201724[/snapback]

Good info, Sarge. :D