SpinalTapp

Year is Over. Need Potential Keeper Sleepers

What players are riding the pine or are hurt that may be big contributors next season? Who may be traded and make a huge impact next year?

For example, I am looking for the QB that will land in Oakland next year or the WR that will be the #1 guy in Philly or RB prospects that may hit.

I am thinking of guys like J.Kitna, B.Volek, or maybe even a Charles Rogers-type.

In our league, we can keep any four players drafted AFTER the third round. Guys like Peyton, LT, Shaun Alex, cannot be kept. I will be dropping Peyton, HWard, and C.Dillon tonight and want to add three prospects that may develop next year into contributors.

Your help is appreciated.

From what I hear, Kitna is content to mentor Palmer from here on out -- I'd be surprised to see him jump from the Bengals, especially with them looking like they may be in contention for the next two/three years ...

Volek, on the other hand, needs a starting gig somewhere next year. He' be worth a long-shot grab.

What about Ricky Williams as a possibility ... or Samkon Gado (here's hoping he learns to hold onto the ball) as a longer shot? How about Chester Taylor? :D

Roby and Calico in Tenn ought to produce more than injuries, etc allowed them to this year ... The Clayton twins in TB and Balt? :D

Gado, Ricky, and Taylor are already on rosters..

I actually have the pleasure of owner both M.Claytons (here's hopin)

I may take a flier on Volek.

Other ideas out there?

Onterrio "The Original Whizzinator" Smith

Kellen Winslow II

Deuce McAllister

Ernest Wilford

NO, there is nobody not on anybodys roster worth keeping. I could list ten guys that have the potential to have breakout years next year. All of them would be owned. The kind of guy you're looking for only comes into play in injury situations or other unforseen circumstances which cannot be predicted with any sort of accuracy.

Edited by Seahawks21

I agree that this is pure speculation and the chances of getting a hit are very, very low. However, I have nothing to lose as I have three roster spots that will go to waste if I do not add someone after I drop my three redraft players.

I actually picked up the Whizz a few weeks ago...McCallister cannot be kept as he was drafted in the first round this year. Wilford is already on a roster.

What about Philip Rivers?

Mark Clayton ---He has the hands and the running ability to be a monster next year. I would also keep an eye on P Rivers to see if he moves up or to a team that needs a qb ie Packers,Rams, Jets, Raiders, Redskins, Browns, or Lions.

I like Clayton also. I am also putting in a waiver claim for Rivers and Volek tonight for two of my three open spots.

I still have another open spot.

Take a look at Samie Parker and if you're willing to go deep for a sleeper check out K Rob. Should be great if he can control his outside problems and the Vikes have a good Qb.

I will take a look at Parker. Unfortunately, someone has KRob. I agree with you - he has a ton of upside next year.

If you're talking about guys that may not be on a roster that COULD, in a long shot, pan out as succesful starters next year, I'll drop a few names your way.

RB's:

Cedrick Houston - Very possibly the future feature back for the Jets, and CuMar ain't getting any younger.

Ryan Moats - Westbrook and Buckhalter just can't stay healthy. The rookie has a 5.3 YPC average with no QB and no WR's. The Eagles will give this kid a look.

Dominic Rhodes - Could/should start somewhere next year.

Frank Gore - Probably a little late on this one, but Gore has looked very good. Now if they could only assemble a team around him. The rookie is getting a look, and if SF doesn't draft Reggie Bush, Gore will probably be the feature back in SF next year.

WR's:

K. Robinson - someone will emerge as the top WR in Minnesota, why not the experienced KRob?

M. Clayton - Kids got skills, question will be if Boller can get him the ball.

T. Williamson - someone will emerge as the top WR in Minnesota, why not the young Williamson?

QB's:

JP Losman - Health is an issue, but he showed some flashes of solid QB'ing when he played, and he's young, so he could emerge into a decent fantasy QB.

K. Boller - I really don't think he's got a chance, but might be worth a long shot

R. Grossman - Maybe a bit too late on this one, but if this guy could stay healthy, with a good running game, and Mush to throw to, he could put up solid numbers.

S. Rosenfels - Looked good in his limited action. With Chambers emerging as a stud WR, and Frerotte likely not being the long term solution, Sage MIGHT get a shot.

D. Carr - No one will want to touch this guy, but he's come on at the end of the season, and with a healthy Davis (or Reggie Bush) and a healthy Johnson, he could have that good year he was supposed to have this year.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I don't like the Volek pickup, but Rivers is interesting. How about R. Gardner? He's playing with the Packers this year and could be resigned as a #3 behind Driver and Walker - or go to Philly and be a solid #1. Parker's definitely a solid choice. Another Parker, Eric in San Diego could emerge next year as well. Is Andre Johnson available? Or Javon Walker? Even Ahman Green would be a great option.

Hugh,

Thanks for your strong reply. I actually scooped up Houston the week before he got the start. I have my fingers crossed that he remains the starter. I also grabbed M.Clayton a few weeks ago. he has looked real good lately for the Ravens. Most of the other position players you listed are on rosters (unfortunately).

I like the D.Carr call and was disappointed to see someone picked him up last week.

I picked up Rivers and Volek last night. Do you like Boller and/or Grossman better than these guys?

I picked up Rivers and Volek last night. Do you like Boller and/or Grossman better than these guys?

1239873[/snapback]

Too many variables to answer the question. I do think Grossman could be VERY solid, perhaps the best of that bunch, but the injuries have to be a HUGH concern.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I told you everyone that could be thought of has already been picked up. It doesn't really matter who else you take, it ain't gonna pan out. yeah yeah, since you asked, I gotta throw my boy DJ Hackett into the mix. He has the talent to start opposite Jackson as soon as he learns to read coverages a bit better. He'll have a breakout season at some point, but I would tend to think it'll be a year later after Engram and Jurvy have aged another year.

Bernard Berrian this guy has some wheels and I will keep an eye on him for next year. If Grossman works out and I think he will, Berrian is the deep threat while Mushin seems to be the possession receiver. Also like M. Clayton. Lots of speed and they want to find a way to get this kid the ball. I also like Matt Jones. He seemed to be up and down but I think he is worth a look. There are lots of others but those come to mind.

Too many variables to answer the question. I do think Grossman could be VERY solid, perhaps the best of that bunch, but the injuries have to be a HUGH concern.

1239937[/snapback]

Agreed. Something else to bear in mind when looking at keepers is the quality of defenses in the division. Granted, teams could make a concerted effort to focus on D in the offseason, but the NFC North and West look like they have lots of work to do.

Speaking of defenses, are the Colts worth keeping or are they a flash in the pan like all other DSTs?

I typically avoid keeping DSTs...but they had a great season.

Speaking of defenses, are the Colts worth keeping or are they a flash in the pan like all other DSTs?

I typically avoid keeping DSTs...but they had a great season.

1240450[/snapback]

They are not worth keeping, IMO.

Charlie Frye

I picked up Moulds hoping he might end up with the Eagles.

Any bets on who ends up there to replace TO? Any chance they grab Rod Gardner.

I have to put a plug in for KROB, but looks like he's already nabbed. I assume Braylon Edwards is being held onto by someone....what about A. Bryant? He has shown flashes this year of being a solid WR. I will assume someone has him but doesn't hurt to mention him.

I'd get Dominic Rhodes if he's out there. Isn't Edge's contract up after this season. I have no idea of Rhodes would become the man, but it'd be worth a shot.

Some folks think Shaun Alexander won't come back to the Seahawks. I sure hope they are wrong. So, you might want to take a flier on Maurice Morris. He has got the job done when the Hawks have rested Shaun.

I will grab M.Morris. D.Rhodes is a great call..but someone grabbed him very early in the season and stashed him.