[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did we witness the greatest game of all time

Sgt. Ryan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miami-OSU in 2002 was the greatest game i've ever seen.

This game was a great game, but USC did everything in their power to lose the game, and Carroll was horrible going for it on 4th and 2 :D

If that were Tressel, we'd have punted the ball inside the 10 and walked away with the trophy.

1249113[/snapback]

Miami-OSU was a great game. Texas-USC was better if you like high-scoring shoot-outs. Almost every drive in the 2nd half was a score! Also, the Texas game had a better comeback.

This game was a great game, but USC did everything in their power to lose the game, and Carroll was horrible going for it on 4th and 2  :D

1249113[/snapback]

Why do people keep saying that?  USC hadn't stopped Texas all night.  USC's only hope was to keep the ball or score again.  Giving up the ball on the 40 or on the 5, Texas was going to score.

If that were Tressel, we'd have punted the ball inside the 10 and walked away with the trophy.

1249113[/snapback]

We (Ohio State) had our chance at Texas and we lost.

Edited by KevinL

We (Ohio State) had our chance at Texas and we lost.

1249129[/snapback]

The end-of-the-season Texas would have put a serious butt-kicking on the end-of-the-season Buckeyes. Your only chance was early in the season and you didn't know who your QB was.

edited punctuation

Edited by Gonkis

It was indeed a great game.

I believe USC lost it when Reggie Bush tried to lateral the ball to a team mate after a nice 30'ish yard gain and a 1st down in the red zone. I believe USC would have scored without the turnover and it would have been a 14-0 game ... instead Texas took the ball drove it down the field and made it a 7-3 game.

I failed shot at the endzone or a missed field goal at the very end would have made it that way.  Leinhart didn't manage what was left on the clock well, IMO.

1249109[/snapback]

Probably wasting that time-out on a 2 point conversion had more to do with it than bad clock management. I was reasonably sober and seemed like there was only 8 seconds left when the last play started. With no TOs left Leinart either had to throw it quick or wait for someone to get all the way down to the end zone. In the end, he almost hit what looked to be a 10 or 12 yard pass to the sideline.

Terrible call to take the time out on that 2 point conversion, IMHO.

As an aside, I'm a Texan but a Michigan fan. The down horns thing pisses even me off. I'm glad USC lost.

Probably wasting that time-out on a 2 point conversion had more to do with it than bad clock management.  I was reasonably sober and seemed like there was only 8 seconds left when the last play started.  With no TOs left Leinart either had to throw it quick or wait for someone to get all the way down to the end zone.  In the end, he almost hit what looked to be a 10 or 12 yard pass to the sideline. 

Terrible call to take the time out on that 2 point conversion, IMHO.

As an aside, I'm a Texan but a Michigan fan.  The down horns thing pisses even me off.  I'm glad USC lost.

1249145[/snapback]

Good point. I'm a 15 year Ohioan and a Michigan fan!! :D

This game was a great game, but USC did everything in their power to lose the game, and Carroll was horrible going for it on 4th and 2  :D

1249113[/snapback]

No way that Miami-OSU game is even close to this one. McGahee doesnt get hurt and that game isnt even close. Get real, Tressel played conservative vs Texas and it got him beat too. I aint no Texas fan, and I have taken my blinders off for this game. Why dont you do the same, Mr fair Weather.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Those are my reactions to last night's game - what a roller coaster. I could make excuses all day about how it would've been different with a blown call here, a different decision there, a couple inches here, etc. But in the end, an unreal performance under pressure by a great player overshadowed other great performances by great players on both sides of the ball all night.

If our 34 game streak had to end, I'm glad it was last night and not in October or November to an inferior team, and I'm happy for the Horns after 35 years. I've forgotten how to lose gracefully after almost 3 years of wins, so pardon me if I don't smile for a few days...

The end-of-the-season Texas would have put a serious butt-kicking on the end-of-the-season Buckeyes.  Your only chance was early in the season and you didn't know who your QB was.

edited punctuation

1249132[/snapback]

:D

Our only chance was when we didn't know who our QB was :D , be thankful Smith wasn't in a groove :D

Good point.  I'm a 15 year Ohioan and a Michigan fan!!  :D

1249151[/snapback]

Go Blue. That can't be easy. :D

If anybody remembers the sig line I had to have after the Rose Bowl victory that started it all over Michigan, I'll wear it again today to make you Trojan fans feel better.

No way that Miami-OSU game is even close to this one.  McGahee doesnt get hurt and that game isnt even close.  Get real, Tressel played conservative vs Texas and it got him beat too.  I aint no Texas fan, and I have taken my blinders off for this game.  Why dont you do the same, Mr fair Weather.

1249152[/snapback]

Geesh!!

For someone who has hate in his veins for Texas, you sure have tooted their horn for quite some time, wonder why?

You haven't given USC their props in 3 years, and you want me to take off my blinders

:D:D

Remember what this game was really about, Young could not be stopped, we all knew the USC D was horrible, but Texas D could not do anything to slow down USC while one would have us think how great their D was. USC fluttered the entire 1st half, giving away the ball several times, the refs gave Texas a TD on the BIGGEST BLOWN CALL in sports history. Carrol gives the ball to Young on the 40, or it'd been over easily. I used to think the Buckeyes had some good luck, then i watched Texas last night.

Geesh!!

For someone who has hate in his veins for Texas, you sure have tooted their horn for quite some time, wonder why?

You haven't given USC their props in 3 years, and you want me to take off my blinders

:D  :D

Remember what this game was really about, Young could not be stopped, we all knew the USC D was horrible, but Texas D could not do anything to slow down USC while one would have us think how great their D was. USC fluttered the entire 1st half, giving away the ball several times, the refs gave Texas a TD on the BIGGEST BLOWN CALL in sports history.  Carrol gives the ball to Young on the 40, or it'd  been over easily.  I used to think the Buckeyes had some good luck, then i watched Texas last night.

1249209[/snapback]

No, the biggest blown call in history gave Ohio State the title against Miami. Texas would have scored on that possession anyways and if anything it might have kept USC from scoring the late field goal at the end of the first half. Don't be hatin just cause the Horns kept the Buckeyes out of the title game this year.

No, the biggest blown call in history gave Ohio State the title against Miami.  Texas would have scored on that possession anyways and if anything it might have kept USC from scoring the late field goal at the end of the first half.  Don't be hatin just cause the Horns kept the Buckeyes out of the title game this year.

1249229[/snapback]

Bullmanure.

I am sooooo tired of Miami fans whining about that game ... your QB throws 5 interceptions and you aren't going to win ... period.

Geesh!!

Remember what this game was really about, Young could not be stopped, we all knew the USC D was horrible, but Texas D could not do anything to slow down USC while one would have us think how great their D was. USC fluttered the entire 1st half, giving away the ball several times, the refs gave Texas a TD on the BIGGEST BLOWN CALL in sports history.  Carrol gives the ball to Young on the 40, or it'd  been over easily.  I used to think the Buckeyes had some good luck, then i watched Texas last night.

1249209[/snapback]

I aint tooting Texas, Im just still amazed at what I witnessed last night. USC hasnt won a title without controversary yet. Texas just did and OU and OSU did before that. I hate OSU as much as Texas, but hate USC even more. The demise of that program, and the fact leinart was bush league running his mouth afterward. He should be bitter hes going to New Orleans to finish his career. :D

I agree with the call from Carroll, 4th and 2, and if you make it you win the game. You punt there is no guarnatee you stop texas. Lendale was money all night, but Texas stood up once in the second half and won the game. This wasnt luck, or bad calls. Texas was robbed an INT that USC later scored on. And Texas had 1st and goal inside the 10, so that rushed XP could have cost them more than it helped them.

How bout the Big 12 now. Texas and OU suck, right, they both just beat top 5 teams in bowl victories vs the Puke-10. And lets not even discuss the big 10.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Geesh!!

1249209[/snapback]

The Texas D made the plays when they counted. How about that pick in the endzone, or the two times Texas stopped USC on 4th down. You can complain all you want about the "blown call" but Texas more than likely would have scored there anyway. What about the blown call where Texas clearly intercepted the ball? I don't see you crying about that. If Texas' special teams had shown up, it could have been a blow out with Texas on top. A missed field goal, a missed PAT and a muffed punt were all that kept USC in the game. Had Texas made that field goal USC would have rolled over then and their, you could see it in their eyes.

By the way, tell me again how the Big 12 is a weak conference after winning more bowl games than your Lil 10.

How bout the Big 12 now.  Texas and OU suck,  right,  they both just beat top 5 teams in bowl victories vs the Puke-10.  And lets not even discuss the big 10.

1249249[/snapback]

OSU & Penn State 2-0 in BCS bowls. Rest of the conference did not come through but the Big Ten won the big ones (not THE BIG one).

Remember what this game was really about, Young could not be stopped, we all knew the USC D was horrible, but Texas D could not do anything to slow down USC while one would have us think how great their D was.

1249209[/snapback]

I figured USC would win last night because Vince Young had no help and that with all the offensive talent USC had there was no way Vince Young by himself would be able to outscore the USC offense. The Texas defense was so good 1 player was able to beat USC. I didn't see that coming.

Oh and to answer the original question, yes.

Our neighbor/babysitter is a Freshman at UT. Her and her boyfriend are on Chirstmas vacation until the 18th so they came over to watch the game last night. It was the first football game she'd ever sat down and watched. When the game ended she looked over at me and asked if they were all that good.

I'm a Horns fan.  I could care less about Miami.  That was an unbiased objective analysis.

1249240[/snapback]

I'm an Aggie fan so was not vest in the game either ... and it's still bullmanure.

First the call wasn't bogus.

Second ... Miami lost that game because their QB threw FIVE interceptions. Please show me ANY bowl game EVER where the winning team threw 5 interceptions.