[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Underrated Bands

darin3

I enjoyed the discussion about the "top 5" albums, artists, etc. that we had a month or so back. Got me thinking, today... how about some bands that were perhaps not mentioned in those discussions, but are generally underrated?

Right off the top of my head - and the band that led me to post this - is Dire Straits. Never thought they got their due... or maybe I just don't pay close enough attention... :D

So, what say you? Any bands you think doesn't get the respect they probably deserve?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about everyone I listen to; short list:

Celtic Frost - probably the most ambitious band to come out of the late 80s underground metal scene; good stuff

Bad Brains - one of those :D bands - "wait, so these Rastafarians from Washington DC play hardcore punk?"; one of the best bands EVER

Tom Waits - I think he falls under "jazz" but he's so idiosyncratic, I call his stuff "Tom Waits music"

Matthew Sweet - probably one of the best songwriters in the power-pop genre out there, criminally underheard (had a minor hit back in 91 or so with "Girlfriend"; should've had at least ten more)

Oh, and I'm going to set the over under at 13 1/2 posts before some frat boy stumbles in here and says "Dave Matthews" :D ; probably 6 1/2 before some yahoo puts down his bong and names the Dead.

Oh, and I'm going to set the over under at 13 1/2 posts before some frat boy stumbles in here and says "Dave Matthews" :D ; probably 6 1/2 before some yahoo puts down his bong and names the Dead.

1255113[/snapback]

No Dave Matthews, but I'll come close enough by saying Ben Folds. I'll also throw another vote for Matthew Sweet.

D.  I think I get the point of your thread but I think what we're gonna get here is a list of obscure bands that are the favorites of some of our posters.

1255120[/snapback]

No I think most will get what I was shooting for. But if there are a bunch of obscure bands listed, so be it.

But yeah, to clarify, I was thinking of "bigger name" bands that the good majority of us have heard of... that perhaps doesn't get their due.

No Dave Matthews, but I'll come close enough by saying  Ben Folds.  I'll also throw another vote for Matthew Sweet.

1255364[/snapback]

This is what I was aiming for... and Chavez's post.

:D

Smithereens.

1255133[/snapback]

Oh yeah; not quite as consistently strong on the songwriting as you'd like, but "Blood and Roses" and the guitar-and-concertina version of "Maria Elena" are as good as anything in that particular wheelhouse. Great live act as well, if you ever get the chance.

no love for Concrete Blonde...I'm alone in my hip-ness...

1255525[/snapback]

I like them well enough; I love their cover of "Mandocello" and we considered using "The Ship Song" for our wedding but decided not to.

I like them well enough; I love their cover of "Mandocello" and we considered using "The Ship Song" for our wedding but decided not to.

1255529[/snapback]

I saw them in concert in 93. A small club. Acoustical version of 'Joey'. It was a really good show. I really enjoy their cover of 'Everybody knows.'

I saw them in concert in 93.  A small club.  Acoustical version of 'Joey'.  It was a really good show.  I really enjoy their cover of 'Everybody knows.'

1255530[/snapback]

Well, you can't go wrong with that song; I prefer it sung in Leonard Cohen's bassy rumble myself.

Well, you can't go wrong with that song; I prefer it sung in Leonard Cohen's bassy rumble myself.

1255532[/snapback]

ah, no one can touch leonard cohen's version. speaking of under rated, leonard cohen falls into that category.

Ben Folds- great call

Ben Harper- goes great with a six pack and a dinner date

Semisonic- Feeling Strangely Fine was an AMAZING album

and going back a bit, the kinks. HOF members, but the average guy on the street can't name one song. Dave Davies, one of the best storytellers and songwriters ever.

1255523[/snapback]

Or his brother Ray, who wrote most of the Kinks songs.