[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers offseason priorities

Swiss Cheezhead

If I were Ted Thompson, my offseason priorities would be (in pseudo-chronological order)...

1. Hire Jim Bates as the head coach, but only on the condition that he'll hire an West-Coast guy (not named Tom Rossley) to run the offense.

1a. Hire a HC with a WCO pedigree, but only on the condition that he'll keep Bates as the DC.

2. Persuade Favre to return for one more year.

3. Re-sign Aaron Kampman.

4. Re-sign Grady Jackson.

5. Let Bates find Mark Roman's replacement in free agency.

6. Draft DeAngelo Williams (or maybe LenDale White) with the #1 pick.

7. Draft a linebacker at 37th overall -- there will be great talent there.

8. Draft an OG at 69th overall -- there will be starting-caliber guards available.

9. Make sure Mike Hawkins improves enough throughout the offseason to compete with Carroll for the #2 CB spot in training camp.

Any other ideas?

If I were Ted Thompson, my offseason priorities would be (in pseudo-chronological order)...

1. Hire Jim Bates as the head coach, but only on the condition that he'll hire an West-Coast guy (not named Tom Rossley) to run the offense.

1a. Hire a HC with a WCO pedigree, but only on the condition that he'll keep Bates as the DC.

8. Draft an OG at 69th overall -- there will be starting-caliber guards available.

9. Make sure Mike Hawkins improves enough throughout the offseason to compete with Carroll for the #2 CB spot in training camp.

Any other ideas?

1256404[/snapback]

and then go 6-10

Any other ideas?

1256404[/snapback]

I like the idea of keeping Bates as DC. I don't like the idea of making him head coach. I would sign Kampman..you can win with him. I would sign Grady to an incentive laden deal that would pay him a million more than he asks for if he stays healthy. Sure...find a safety in FA to replace Roman. If they keep the pick, I like D. Williams as the pick. Find a LB in FA...we have boatloads of cash under the cap.

Draft a guard in the second round. You can't trust Hawkins will ever be a player. Gravy if he pans out.

I posted this in a thread a couple weeks ago:

Packers send 2006 #1, #3 and 2007 #1 for the first pick in this years draft.

Use the #1 on Bush. Use the #2 on the best OG available.

Use some of the $20,000,000 in cap money (they will be 20M under a 90M cap) to sign UFA Steve Hutchinson and some more of it to sign RFA Kevin Curtis or UFA Reggie Wayne. Bring back Favre and a rehabilitated Javon Walker and sign a couple more FA and the Pack would be back.

Should Favre retire they would be approximately $28,000,000 under the cap and could make a run at UFA Drew Brees as well as the aforementioned Hutchinson and one of the WR.....

That's my plan.

What do u homers think that GB will do with their RB situation?

I have not seen much of Aaron Rodgers, do you feel that if favre does not return he can  be a QB?

1256854[/snapback]

At RB the Packers may bring back Green at far less money than he made previously...I don't see them bringing back Najeh. The thinking in GB is that Gado is the real deal. That said, they still may draft a RB. If they don't, it means they REALLY think Gado is for real.

I don't have faith in Rogers. If Young were to miraculously fall to the Packers at 5 I would take him.

What do u homers think that GB will do with their RB situation?

I have not seen much of Aaron Rodgers, do you feel that if favre does not return he can  be a QB?

1256854[/snapback]

At RB the Packers may bring back Green at far less money than he made previously...I don't see them bringing back Najeh.  The thinking in GB is that Gado is the real deal.  That said, they still may draft a RB.  If they don't, it means they REALLY think Gado is for real.

I don't have faith in Rogers.  If Young were to miraculously fall to the Packers at 5 I would take him.

1256861[/snapback]

Something just doesn't feel right about Rodgers. I'm not sure what it is. Could just be that as Packer fans we have not dealt with change at QB for so long. I was looking forward to seeing how he would perform in this next training camp now that he's had a full season to learn the system. If they bring in a HC with a whole new offensive scheme, he'll be starting from square one. IMO that puts him at least another whole season away from being a starter that can be relied on.

Something just doesn't feel right about Rodgers.  I'm not sure what it is.  Could just be that as Packer fans we have not dealt with change at QB for so long. 

1257639[/snapback]

Exactly. It's funny to me that so many Packers fans are convinced Rogers is a bust -- less than a year after drafting him in the first round. How on earth could we have any idea how good he will be as GB's starting quarterback?

I'm sorry, but he IS the QB of the future UNTIL he proves otherwise. Just accept it and let the Packers fix their other problems. And, yes, that means they won't select Vince Young 5th overall if he's there -- and he probably will be.

I like Aaron Kampman, he has great heart and drive, but he's just not enough of a playmaker. I'd like to see him re-signed to a modest 2-3 year deal and have him start on 1st down and running downs for KGB and draft Mario Williams to play full time DE. Otherwise, draft AJ Hawk.

I'd like to see the 2nd pick on an OG and 3rd on a RB to compete w/ Green at a low, incentive laden salary and Gado or Davenport.

I want Bates coaching next year, he did a great job w/ the low talent level that he had. I wouldn't be opposed to Sean Payton though, nor Chicago DC Rivera, who has said he would bring in a West Coast offensive staff.

• 3 months later...

:doah: ....well, they DID keep the WCO pedigree going. Losing Bates sucks.

:D

Didn't do so, but Ryan Pickett and Kenderick Allen should easily replace the old man. :D

Not quite the way you wanted it to fall, but Hawk at #5 was nice - if White had fallen to the 47th pick it would have been even nicer; Colledge and Moll look like intriguing prospects. I'm satisfied if not ecstatic about this year's draft. :D

1256404[/snapback]

TBD.