[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Qb Slide Rule!

IrishPride

I don't understand why the Qb is allowed to slide? If he he scrambles and run's past the line of scrimmage, He gets credited rushing yards? Why is he so special? A Rb gets hit no matter where he is? With the new breed of rushing or mobile Qb's, A defensive player is always at a disadvantage? M.Vick or even Vince Young "Next year", They rush one play for 5yds and slide, then the very next play they rush for 30yds and don't slide but run out of bounds? Your a defensive player running at him worrying about the slide or some ridiculous move they are gonna make on you and bam, your the "POD"! We all know seeing yourself get juked over and over on national TV is gotta be fun right? I just think Rb's take a pounding and Qb's are pampered. Every NFL team is looking for a mobile Qb because the faster and more athletic defensive players get, the harder it is to block them. How many sacks are todays defensive players actually losing? If the Qb is outside the tackle he can throw it away and if he's past the line of scrimmage he can slide? The slide allows non-mobile Qb's to avoid sacks also, just get pass the line of scrimmage and slide feet first! I just think you could have a great discussion about the rule and the future of the Mobile Qb in the NFL. Sliding is for Water Parks and stolen bases! I may not have hit all the points but atleast you get the idea.............

I don't understand why the Qb is allowed to slide? Because it is in the rules to protect the QB If he he scrambles and run's past the line of scrimmage, He gets credited rushing yards? Everyone gets credit for their rushing yards why not QB's? Why is he so special? A Rb gets hit no matter where he is? With the new breed of rushing or mobile Qb's, A defensive player is always at a disadvantage? M.Vick or even Vince Young "Next year", They rush one play for 5yds and slide, then the very next play they rush for 30yds and don't slide but run out of bounds? Your a defensive player running at him worrying about the slide or some ridiculous move they are gonna make on you and bam, your the "POD"! We all know seeing yourself get juked over and over on national TV is gotta be fun right? I just think Rb's take a pounding and Qb's are pampered. Inane comment. Every NFL team is looking for a mobile Qb because the faster and more athletic defensive players get, the harder it is to block them. How many sacks are todays defensive players actually losing? If the Qb is outside the tackle he can throw it away and if he's past the line of scrimmage he can slide? The slide allows non-mobile Qb's to avoid sacks also, just get pass the line of scrimmage and slide feet first! According to the rules, if you are past the line of scrimmage there can be no sack. Sacks only occur behind the line of scrimmage. I just think you could have a great discussion about the rule and the future of the Mobile Qb in the NFL. Sliding is for Water Parks and stolen bases! I may not have hit all the points but at least you get the idea.............

1256860[/snapback]

'Bout the only idea I get here is that you may not get out much. You need to get your ducks in a row before putting them down in print.

The QB was going down like no tomorrow when they placed the 'in-the-grasp' rule in. Then they went to the slide rule.... stopping cheap shots at the player that is the most visable and expensive part of an NFL team. Stars were being put out for the year and in some cases their career.... the NFL had to do something to protect them.... just like rules about horse collars, clotheslining, leg whips, chop blocks, and a thousand others that are in place to protect players.

You want players laying all over the field after a play... blood and guts and broken bones after every play.... then American Football is not your game. American Football is about money and protecting those people that generate that money. You want blood and broken bones try hockey instead.

As far as the poor poor defensive player..... *sigh* .... he is at a disadvantage to start with. The offensive team knows the play... he doesn't. Now if you want to jump on something that is unfair... there is something I could get behind... the offense should be required to tell the def what play they are going to run... then let's see how good that D really is.

I'm not gonna argue with you but " According to the rules, if you are past the line of scrimmage there can be no sack. Sacks only occur behind the line of scrimmage." I know that but the whole point was sliding if I can slide.....Why not run past the line of scrimage? I avoid the sack and don't get killed? But if I can't slide I may throw it or take loss...It's a forum not and english class, I'll give you the NFL Rules but thats what were discussing.........I just don't like the rule!

Edited by IrishPride

I'm not gonna argue with you but " According to the rules, if you are past the line of scrimmage there can be no sack. Sacks only occur behind the line of scrimmage." I know that but the whole point was sliding if I can slide.....Why not run past the line of scrimage? I avoid the sack and don't get killed? But if I can't slide I may throw it or take loss...It's a forum not and english class,  I'll give you the NFL Rules but thats what were discussing.........I just don't like the rule!

1256927[/snapback]

And I shant argue with you either... just please say what you mean so I can get a handle on what you want as a reply. I replied to what you said is all.

And I shant argue with you either... just please say what you mean so I can get a handle on what you want as a reply. I replied to what you said is all.

1256935[/snapback]

Finally someone else who uses the word shant in a conversation :D

By sliding, a player is voluntarily giving himself up and therefore any hit after a slide has been initiated is considered unnecessary roughness. I was under the impression that any player could slide, but that QBs were the only Rosie O'Donnell that actually used it.

I could see a kicker sliding if he found himself with the ball, but it would be wierd to see another player slide - like a RB or WR.

Franco Harris probably would have used the slide rule if it was available during his day. At least, that's what Jim Brown thinks.