[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chad Johnson Took a Swing

Jumpin Johnies

I got this off of Profootballtalk

CHAD TOOK SWING AT MARVIN

A league source tells us that multiple members of the Cincinnati Bengals witnessed a troubling incident as the team prepared to take the field for the second half of Sunday's playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Per the source, the last few minutes of intermission were ticking away, when the players were startled by the sight and sound of a helmet slamming against the glass pane of the training room door. Inside, receiver Chad Johnson and receivers coach Hue Jackson were engaged in an altercation. At one point, Johnson was seen holding Jackson in a headlock.

Coach Marvin Lewis entered the training room to intervene, and Johnson (per the source) took a swing at him.

Eventually, receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh broke up the skirmish, within a minute or so of the team exiting the locker room for the second half.

On Monday, several members of the team pointed to the Johnson-Jackson-Lewis incident as the catalyst for the loss of a 17-14 halftime lead and, ultimately, a 31-17 defeat.

Word is that Johnson was unhappy with the lack of balls thrown to him in the first half. A total of three passes came his way, with two completions.

In the second half, another three passes were thrown to Johnson, with only two more completions. For the game, Johnson had four catches for 59 yards.

The incident could have an even more lasting impact on the team than quarterback Carson Palmer's torn ACL and MCL. Some players, we're told, don't want to see Johnson back next year, and there's a belief that the team will be less inclined to give in to Johnson's request for a hefty restructuring of a contract that expires after the 2009 season.

So the Chad Johnson saga very well could evolve into the 2006 version of the Terrell Owens fiasco.

If so, it's very bad news for a franchise that otherwise looked to have a very bright future.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been waiting for this to happen for about 4 weeks.  He's off down the well-trodden road of the prima donna WR.

1257281[/snapback]

He's always been a prima dona, but it was all good natured. Now he's officially crossed the line and is on the path of being another turd wideout.

He's always been a prima dona, but it was all good natured.  Now he's officially crossed the line and is on the path of being another turd wideout.

1257284[/snapback]

Exactly. When people started to speculate on his next TD celebration, the rot set in.

Wow, that's sad and a suprise. I thought he was more of a team player as oppossed to TO.

I'd like to see some more coverage on this before I buy into it.

1257291[/snapback]

I can agree with you on that Ralph. Profootballtalk is a rumor mill site that focuses on the NFL. I don't doubt that he tussled with his position coach but I doubt he swung on Marvin Lewis. If he did then it would be another case of black on black violence. :D

and his td celebrations and antics were nothing but good, clean, fun... did he ever realize that the reason he didnt get much thrown to him was because ike taylor was covering his ass all day.. he hasnt done a thing vs pittsburgh all season. every week he has promoted his "steelers td celebration" yet every week he never sees the endzone. he said so himself that taylor was the best corner he had faced and it showed. he may not be the best in the league or a pro bowl talent right now, but he sure has a thing for stopping johnson.

ive been saying all along that the bengals were an immature and young team.. one without any playoff experience and this would be their biggest downfall. sure enough, the lack of veteran leadership and control of the team led to it being shutout after halftime. they looked like the game was over the instant palmer went down.. the only guy that played with desire was kitna, who is one of the few vets on the team with leadership abilities.

i dont care if its true or not. the team was set up to fail in the playoffs, with or without palmer.

btw.. pft i also the one and only source that kept saying ben was disliked among teammates and was an a$$hole on and off the field. ive never seen anything said like that other than them. they love to stir controversy no matter how little true info they have to keep people coming back.

Edited by jjpro11

I got this off of Profootballtalk

CHAD TOOK SWING AT MARVIN

A league source tells us that multiple members of the Cincinnati Bengals witnessed a troubling incident as the team prepared to take the field for the second half of Sunday's playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Per the source, the last few minutes of intermission were ticking away, when the players were startled by the sight and sound of a helmet slamming against the glass pane of the training room door.  Inside, receiver Chad Johnson and receivers coach Hue Jackson were engaged in an altercation.  At one point, Johnson was seen holding Jackson in a headlock.

Coach Marvin Lewis entered the training room to intervene, and Johnson (per the source) took a swing at him.

Eventually, receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh broke up the skirmish, within a minute or so of the team exiting the locker room for the second half.

On Monday, several members of the team pointed to the Johnson-Jackson-Lewis incident as the catalyst for the loss of a 17-14 halftime lead and, ultimately, a 31-17 defeat.

Word is that Johnson was unhappy with the lack of balls thrown to him in the first half.  A total of three passes came his way, with two completions.

In the second half, another three passes were thrown to Johnson, with only two more completions.  For the game, Johnson had four catches for 59 yards.

The incident could have an even more lasting impact on the team than quarterback Carson Palmer's torn ACL and MCL.  Some players, we're told, don't want to see Johnson back next year, and there's a belief that the team will be less inclined to give in to Johnson's request for a hefty restructuring of a contract that expires after the 2009 season.

So the Chad Johnson saga very well could evolve into the 2006 version of the Terrell Owens fiasco.

If so, it's very bad news for a franchise that otherwise looked to have a very bright future.

1257278[/snapback]

This definately lowers him in my fantasy7 rankings for next year. I expect Steve Smith to be next.

What is it with these modern day star WR's ?

Hate to say it, but when there was a "who will be the next TO" thread, I was the first to say Chad Johnson, and had to defend my pick to some extent. If this is true, looks like my call was right on. I was hoping I was wrong... but as they say, you can take the thug out of the ghetto, but you just can't take the ghetto out of the thug. :D

I don't buy it at all.

Stories have been going around about the evil CJ for a couple of years now. Granted: The kid fathered like four kids from eight different mothers by the time he was 20, so he's no saint.

CJ was upset, but he was upset about Palmer. CJ has never shown anything but respect for Lewis. If he took a swing at Lewis, Willie Anderson woulda crushed him with one hit.

If you ever see him in person, without pads, he's about 5'10" and prolly weighs 180 or 190, tops. He manhandles no one, and that includes in the locker room. He's about speed, hands, and knowing how to run a route. And, of course, talking trash.

This cynical need to trash everything entertaining in the NFL is how it became the No Fun League in the first place.

All that said ... CJ has a lot of passion that is sometimes misdirected. That's what makes this team interesting, and it's what makes Lewis a great coach. Passion is not an easy thing to deal with, unless it's absent.

I'll need to see that from a reputable source, which PFT certainly is not.

Yes, CJ had his 'list' -- but when Lewis put up his 'how have I helped my team' list, CJ took it well and didn't balk.

CJ was seen out in the parking lots meeting and greeting fans who were tailgating prior to the game (not sure where I heard this one, I assumed it was true :D )

So yeah, he's a bit prima donna, but in a good-natured way. I'd rather this isn't true.

CJ was seen out in the parking lots meeting and greeting fans who were tailgating prior to the game (not sure where I heard this one, I assumed it was true :D )

1257433[/snapback]

The announcers were talking about it during the game.

If anything it was probably a reaction. IF they were stuggling and Lewis came up and grabbed Johnson I could see him turning and swinging. But taking a shot at Lewis on purpose? Just can't see that.

I have searched far and wide... not a peep about this anywhere. Going to have to wait for further evidence before I cast my vote.