[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tanking the combine?

rajncajn

I got to thinking tonight about the Leinart vs Young debate & who the Saints should take. Most people still say the Saints will take Leinart, but there are still those who say he doesn't want to play for the Saints. Is it possible that someone in his position would purposely get a lower score at the combine, knowing that Young with his athletic ability will probably do well and that even if he doesn't get drafted over Young that he wouldn't drop any more than one pick, two at the most? Looking at it that way seems like a good way to avoid playing for NO and save himself the criticism Eli took as well at a relatively low price.

As easy as it would be to do... I think most players realize the importance of the combine, and their numbers in it, because those numbers follow them throughout their career.

Most people know what certain players are capable of, and especially someone of Leinhart's ability, I think if he purposely tried to throw it, the media would be all over it. He'd be much better off to pull an "Eli"

As easy as it would be to do... I think most players realize the importance of the combine, and their numbers in it, because those numbers follow them throughout their career.

Most people know what certain players are capable of, and especially someone of Leinhart's ability, I think if he purposely tried to throw it, the media would be all over it. He'd be much better off to pull an "Eli"

1259158[/snapback]

I think it could be done without it being obvious. It wouldn't take much to improve Young's draft grade to be higher than Leinart's if it already isn't.

I think it could be done without it being obvious. It wouldn't take much to improve Young's draft grade to be higher than Leinart's if it already isn't.

1259171[/snapback]

After Brooks, I'm not so sure the Saints would want to go back to the "scrambler/passer" quarterback prototype. Realizing Young is much better at it then Brooks, but still I feel they will want a gun-slinger to get Horn, Stallworth, and Hakim involved.

Even if Leinhart does incredible, and Young does bad, or vice versa, everyone knows where they stand and what they're capable of. Rodgers and Smith were pretty dead even, it just came down to what the team wanted.

Tanking the combine? Missing field goals to get the #1 pick? Come on, no one is stupid enough (or smart enough....if you look at it that way) to do this.

I think if someone is thinking about pulling an Eli they might want to consider the fact that the year Eli avoided SD, they went to the playoffs and almost the AFC Championship game. Pulling an Eli worked for Elway obviously, but its a crap shoot.

After Brooks, I'm not so sure the Saints would want to go back to the "scrambler/passer" quarterback prototype. Realizing Young is much better at it then Brooks, but still I feel they will want a gun-slinger to get Horn, Stallworth, and Hakim involved.

Even if Leinhart does incredible, and Young does bad, or vice versa, everyone knows where they stand and what they're capable of. Rodgers and Smith were pretty dead even, it just came down to what the team wanted.

1259188[/snapback]

I completely agree. I think the Saints are dead set on Leinart regardless, but this isn't a debate on who the Saints will pick rather pointing out a way Leinart could try getting out of being drafted by NO. Honestly I doubt it matters if he falls flat on his face at the combine. In the past the Saints have been notorious about locking in on certain players and I doubt that'll change with a new coach.

I completely agree. I think the Saints are dead set on Leinart regardless, but this isn't a debate on who the Saints will pick rather pointing out a way Leinart could try getting out of being drafted by NO. Honestly I doubt it matters if he falls flat on his face at the combine. In the past the Saints have been notorious about locking in on certain players and I doubt that'll change with a new coach.

1259195[/snapback]

Correct. Players like Leinhart, Reggie Bush, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Peyton Manning, it dosn't really matter how they do in the draft. They have proven themselves to be the suspected "overall number one pick" throughout their college careers, and the team with that pick know that.

If Peyton came to the combine and his arm wasn't as strong as they had hoped, he didn't run as fast, and didn't lift as much, that wouldn't have discouraged any team from drafting him, because he already showed the world what he could do.

Same goes to Leinhart imo, if he dosn't like the Saints, thats too bad. Pull an Eli. Because throwing your numbers won't matter much.

Guest THEbigred
Maurice Clarett tanked the combine.

1259183[/snapback]

Maurice Clarett tanked life.

You can take the boy outta the ghetto, but....

My take:

1. Vince Young is clearly (CLEARLY) the #1 overall NFL draft pick. Forget Reggie Bush. If you're a bottom feeder in the NFL, you don't rebuild your franchise around an RB, especially when a QB with rare talent like Young is available. And Leinart? No contest, Young is the guy that NFL teams will go after first. The softer-throwing Leinart will be a decent pro QB if he gets in the right situation. Young is the kind of guy that can put a team on his back and take them to the top.

2. It's easy to see several teams bidding to move up to the #1 overall spot. (Recall the recent frenzies over Michael Vick and Eli Manning.) The Texans will have the choice to keep Carr and clean up with a bunch of extra draft picks (and still have a juicy pick in the 1st round this year) or cut their losses with Carr and go with the home boy. Here's a good article by John McClain of the Houston Chronicle on the choices the Texans are facing.

3. If the Texans prove willing to deal, I strongly suspect that several teams (the Saints, Jets, Titans, Lions and Raiders come to mind) will get into a bidding war for Young. The Saints would be the perfect candidate, because the Texans (who would presumably get the Saints' #1 pick in return) would move down only one spot and still get Reggie Bush.

4. Personally, I think the Texans will take Young. As tempted as they'll be to trade the #1 pick, the organization won't want to face the enduring wrath of a football-crazy state that will surely come their way if they pass on Young and the kid leads his new team to NFL glory.

No, I'm not a Longhorn fan. Hardly! I just think NFL organizations know the score and that Young will certainly emerge as the #1 guy in the draft, hands down.

Not a chance.

After the free-fall of Aaron Rodgers last year, I'm sure Leinart will be more concerned with how many zeroes are at the end of his salary than which team he plays for -- and he should be.

Plus, the Saints QB job isn't that bad. Great WRs, great RB, good O-line with Jammal Brown protecting his blind side. I'd be happy if I were Leinart.

Tanking the combine?  Missing field goals to get the #1 pick?  Come on, no one is stupid enough (or smart enough....if you look at it that way) to do this. 

I think if someone is thinking about pulling an Eli they might want to consider the fact that the year Eli avoided SD, they went to the playoffs and almost the AFC Championship game.  Pulling an Eli worked for Elway obviously, but its a crap shoot.

1259190[/snapback]

I think it sucks that we now talk about "pulling an Eli" (or an Elway) as a viable option. I think you play for the team that drafted you...dangerous precedent in the draft.

Not a chance.

After the free-fall of Aaron Rodgers last year, I'm sure Leinart will be more concerned with how many zeroes are at the end of his salary than which team he plays for -- and he should be.

Plus, the Saints QB job isn't that bad. Great WRs, great RB, good O-line with Jammal Brown protecting his blind side. I'd be happy if I were Leinart.

1259614[/snapback]

I don't think he's worried about the Saints on the field.

1. Vince Young is clearly (CLEARLY) the #1 overall NFL draft pick.  Forget Reggie Bush.  If you're a bottom feeder in the NFL, you don't rebuild your franchise around an RB, especially when a QB with rare talent like Young is available.  And Leinart?  No contest, Young is the guy that NFL teams will go after first.  The softer-throwing Leinart will be a decent pro QB if he gets in the right situation.  Young is the kind of guy that can put a team on his back and take them to the top.

1259609[/snapback]

The only argument I'll make against you is this. Many people said & still say the same thing about Vick. Granted they are saying VY is a better passer coming out, but I don't think ANY one player is or ever will be good enough to make a team a winner on his own. We've all seen how good Atlanta is without a defense and lets not forget the importance of the other runners on that team as well as Crumpler and the offensive line. If Vick was in fact the only offensive weapon on that team then he would have a very short career in the NFL.

One argument I missed on this thread is that tanked combine = lower draft select = less $$$$ for the player.  It's all about the money, you'd be a fool to tank it.

1259747[/snapback]

The difference in #2 & #3 is not all that much. Especially if it means playing in a place where you think you will be happy.

The only argument I'll make against you is this. Many people said & still say the same thing about Vick. Granted they are saying VY is a better passer coming out, but I don't think ANY one player is or ever will be good enough to make a team a winner on his own. We've all seen how good Atlanta is without a defense and lets not forget the importance of the other runners on that team as well as Crumpler and the offensive line. If Vick was in fact the only offensive weapon on that team then he would have a very short career in the NFL.

1259655[/snapback]

A fair rebuttal, and it remains to be seen whether Young can live up to the hype. Obviously he'll need other quality guys around him to succeed, but then again McNabb was able to do a lot without much receiving help (and I tend to think McNabb makes a better comparison here than Vick). I do know that Young is the kind of player that NFL teams, especially rebuilding teams, drool over.