[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers wish to sign Brees long term

Big Mac Bears

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2288855

Looks like we may have to wait yet another year to see what Rivers can do in the NFL. Must be nice getting paid that much to do so little. I watched this guy all through college. There's a lot of potential and I want to see if he can make it. Trade him to the Bears!!!!

it makes sense though ...brees has performed more than adequate past two years ...team and players have confidence in him and he is still young ...Rivers is a nice safety net or good trade bait at best i believe

Ofcourse has to see how Brees recivers from injury but i suspect he will be fine and leading the Bolts next season again

Looks like we may have to wait yet another year to see what Rivers can do in the NFL. 

1260814[/snapback]

Even with Brees' injury, I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers traded Rivers this off-season. I know they keep saying that they have the cap space to keep them both, but it doesn't mean it makes a lot of sense to, especially if they can get a nice pick or two for him.

I agree with Skrappy. Even if you can afford it, you don't want to tie up large amounts of cash in backups.

Makes more sense to buff up another area of weakness. I can't imagine Rivers not being worth a nice return. It's not like he's been given an opportunity, and failed, like Rick Meier, or Ryan Leaf. Right now, he still seems to be worth the first rounder that the Chargers used on him.

it really seemed as though they were leaning towards cutting Drew, and just keeping Phil, now with the injury of Drew, i just don't see how they could be leaning the other way...

My guess is Drew is looking for a new home, and probably ends up in DAL or with Parcells crappin solid gold bricks of happiness...but whatever...I dont see Drew back in SD next year, even though I think it's STUPID to let him go :D

Sign him...so you can trade him.

I would stay far, far away from a QB who had major shoulder surgery. Especially if you have a nice QB on the bench.

I think Brees would be a perfect fit for New Orleans, Miami, KC, Arizona.

KC needs a backup QB, and eventual replacement for Green. Give him a year to backup and get healthy. I really like him in Arizona, opening up the new digs.

I just don't see how SD can justify spending all that money on Rivers with only a 1st round playoff loss to show for it and sit him for another year.

I would stay far, far away from a QB who had major shoulder surgery.  Especially if you have a nice QB on the bench.

I think Brees would be a perfect fit for New Orleans, Miami, KC, Arizona.

KC needs a backup QB, and eventual replacement for Green.  Give him a year to backup and get healthy.  I really like him in Arizona, opening up the new digs.

1261252[/snapback]

Supposedly there was no issues with his rotator cuff and he should be back throwing again in about 4 months or so.

i think it will be a long shot for a team to trade for rivers,...i get a sence the chargers will think they wont be getting good enough value in return for where he was drafted.

kind of like the Manny situation in boston, just that phillip hasnt put up any kind of stats yet

Supposedly there was no issues with his rotator cuff and he should be back throwing again in about 4 months or so.

1261264[/snapback]

Just like Chad Pennington, right. :D

Brees is damaged goods right now. The Chargers would be crazy to sign him to any significant contract. You GOTTA start Rivers next year if you're the Chargers, don't you?

Just like Chad Pennington, right.  :D

Brees is damaged goods right now.  The Chargers would be crazy to sign him to any significant contract.  You GOTTA start Rivers next year if you're the Chargers, don't you?

1261431[/snapback]

With Chad, it WAS the rotator cuff. No such injury for BRees. He'll come back fine.

Anyone else thinking that maybe Eli wasn't so foolish now?

All i know is, listening to some of you, I am liking his value more and more next year. This dudes got heart and he aint just gonna go away next year.

I just felt it was the perfect time to rest his mind that we were going to try to get a long-term deal done, and for him not to worry about it," Smith said. "I told him to just rehab, get better and lead us to a championship. And he said, 'Fine.'"

Dam, what a great manager/owner. I wish I worked for someone like that.

As a longtime Chargers fan, I hope they hang onto both of them for at least one more year. As we've seen around the league, getting the right guy under centre is the biggest battle for most teams. I'd like to see Brees get a long-term deal because he's really stepped up for us. I'm sure clauses can be placed into the contract based on his health from the surgery.

Rivers is invaluable given his time with the organization and his potential. I feel bad for him that he hasn't gotten a shot but even Steve Young had to wait his turn.

Brees makes a living with his right arm. They are opening up that arm, and fixing a tear. I would stay away. I guess I'm pretty shrewd.

If the Chargers decide to re-sign Brees, what does that say about Rivers?

After 4 years of School

after 2 years of sitting on your butt

You aren't ready Rivers...PLAY ME OR TRADE ME

Brees makes a living with his right arm.  They are opening up that arm, and fixing a tear.  I would stay away.  I guess I'm pretty shrewd.

1261821[/snapback]

Actually, they've already opened up that shoulder, and it was just a labrum tear, no damage to the rotator cuff. Dr. Andrews, who no offense but I'm sure knows a lot more about these things than either of us, says Brees will be fine. I'll take his word, and apparently so will Chargers GM A.J. Smith if he's trying to sign Brees long-term, as both he and Brees admitted yesterday.

The optimism expressed by Chargers quarterback Drew Brees regarding his upcoming shoulder surgery is well-founded, according to two local orthopedic doctors and a quarterback who had a similar injury.

"The standard labrum injury, the prognosis is usually very good," said Dr. Peter Wile, a team physician at San Diego State who successfully repaired quarterback Kevin O'Connell's torn labrum late in 2004.

Brees suffered a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder during Saturday's season finale against Denver. He was scheduled yesterday to travel to Birmingham, Ala., to visit today with noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews. Brees said Monday he expects to have surgery later this week either in Alabama or San Diego.

"He'll be fine," said former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon, who returned in 2004 from a torn labrum suffered the previous year. "He'll come back and be as good as ever."

Pre-Surgery

Dr. James Andrews repaired the torn labrum in Brees' throwing shoulder, injured in the Chargers' season finale on Saturday. Team spokesman Bill Johnston said no rotator cuff damage was found during the surgery.

Brees' arm will remain immobilized for at least a month before he begins an aggressive rehabilitation program. He is expected to begin throwing in four months and be ready to participate in training camp.

Post-Surgery

Edited by Skrappy1

Brees makes a living with his right arm.  They are opening up that arm, and fixing a tear.  I would stay away.  I guess I'm pretty shrewd.

If the Chargers decide to re-sign Brees, what does that say about Rivers?

After 4 years of School

after 2 years of sitting on your butt

You aren't ready Rivers...PLAY ME OR TRADE ME

1261821[/snapback]

Why throw away an asset like that? When healthy, Brees has proven himself. It hasn't become a Chad Pennington situation yet and I'm sure A.J. Smith is shrewd enough himself to make sure what he's got before commiting bigtime, longterm dollars to it.

Their cap situation is good. Only in fantasy football do teams dump players overnight. In the NFL, if you put a guy on the block, you get a 2nd round pick for the likes of Marshall Faulk.

Dam, what a great manager/owner.  I wish I worked for someone like that.

1261490[/snapback]

On the flipside, I wonder what Rivers has to say about that.

I think Brees will be fine and San Diego will hopefully keep him. Worse injuries happen to pitchers in baseball and they come back.

Yeah, once the tear is fixed and he rehabs he'll be fine.

Healthy. The shoulder will never be the same.

It's minor surgery no biggie...4 months of rehab...nothing.

He'll be tossing a football in 4-5 months...no big deal

He'll be throwing one in 6 months...no big deal

Chargers should be excited

Chad Pennington had surgery, rehabbed, and was deemed 100% healthy.

The same process Brees will go through(surgery, rehab, doctors clearance)

Pennington then re-injured his shoulder.

I think they had the same doctor.

Best of luck Drew, get healthy and don't rush back.

Don't forget Rivers shot himself in the foot when he didn't sign a contract until late. By that time Brees had taken over the starting job with his comeback-player-of-the-year statistics. I'm sure Rivers is wishing he'd gotten into camp sooner!!!

Don't forget Rivers shot himself in the foot when he didn't sign a contract until late. By that time Brees had taken over the starting job with his comeback-player-of-the-year statistics. I'm sure Rivers is wishing he'd gotten into camp sooner!!!

1261910[/snapback]

If memory serves correctly, the Chargers are notorius for holdups when they sign big players. Remember Tomlinson? That's one of the reasons Eli didn't want to go there and deal with that stuff. When all of this went down and Rivers still wasn't signed, the media just wrote it off as just another bad management display from the Chargers. I'm not a Chargers fan but I am a big NCSU fan so I was following Rivers at the time. I remember all this talk about how bad it was to deal with the Chargers on contract issues. Anyway, feel free to shed some light here if I'm wrong.

In any case, I'm glad Eli had his ass handed to him last week in his first playoff. That whole draft thing made me a fan of anyone that plays against him.

If memory serves correctly, the Chargers are notorius for holdups when they sign big players.  Remember Tomlinson?  That's one of the reasons Eli didn't want to go there and deal with that stuff.  When all of this went down and Rivers still wasn't signed, the media just wrote it off as just another bad management display from the Chargers.  I'm not a Chargers fan but I am a big NCSU fan so I was following Rivers at the time.  I remember all this talk about how bad it was to deal with the Chargers on contract issues.  Anyway, feel free to shed some light here if I'm wrong.

In any case, I'm glad Eli had his ass handed to him last week in his first playoff.  That whole draft thing made me a fan of anyone that plays against him.

1261952[/snapback]

A.J. IS hard-nosed, but this year we got all our rookies signed and in camp (NOT mini-camp). I'm hoping that's the start of a trend!!!!

The shoulder will never be the same. 

Chad Pennington had surgery, rehabbed, and was deemed 100% healthy.

The same process Brees will go through(surgery, rehab, doctors clearance)

Pennington then re-injured his shoulder.

I think they had the same doctor.

Best of luck Drew, get healthy and don't rush back.

1261905[/snapback]

What are you basing your opinion that the shoulder will never be the same on?

Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but the doctors are saying there's a 75-85% for a complete recovery. Rich Gannon said "Brees' shoulder could become stronger because of all the rehabilitation and strengthening exercises." While Gannon isn't a doctor, he was a QB in the NFL who had the same procedure as Brees. This actually wouldn't be unusual either, as baseball players who have major arm surgery often come back throwing harder than they did pre-surgery.

As far as the Pennington comparisons, as Kid Cid has already noted, they are not accurate. Pennington had a tear in his rotator cuff, had surgery in February, and then tried to rush back early from that more serious rotator cuff surgery. Brees' rotator cuff is fine. His injury was a less serious labrum tear and he had the surgery over a month earlier in the off-season then did Pennington.

I'm no doctor either, and I can't guarantee that Brees will return to being the same guy that he was prior to the injury. But if people who are a lot more qualified than you or I to make that assessment say they strongly believe that he will, then I'll choose to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Skrappy1

The San Diego Union-Tribune came out with an article today quoting A.J. Smith as saying, "Philip Rivers will be a San Diego Charger and will remain one. I just think it's very important he remains here, and he's under contract. He is not available for trade. He will be a Charger."

Well, DUH!!!! There's no way he'll trade his insurance policy for Drew's shoulder!!!! AND if he can't work out a deal with Brees, he's still got Rivers.

Another bit of first-rate reporting! :D

What are you basing your opinion that the shoulder will never be the same on?

Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but the doctors are saying there's a 75-85% for a complete recovery. Rich Gannon said "Brees' shoulder could become stronger because of all the rehabilitation and strengthening exercises." While Gannon isn't a doctor, he was a QB in the NFL who had the same procedure as Brees. This actually wouldn't be unusual either, as baseball players who have major arm surgery often come back throwing harder than they did pre-surgery.

As far as the Pennington comparisons, as Kid Cid has already noted, they are not accurate. Pennington had a tear in his rotator cuff, had surgery in February, and then tried to rush back early from that more serious rotator cuff surgery. Brees' rotator cuff is fine. His injury was a less serious labrum tear and he had the surgery over a month earlier in the off-season then did Pennington.

I'm no doctor either, and I can't guarantee that Brees will return to being the same guy that he was prior to the injury. But if people who are a lot more qualified than you or I to make that assessment say they strongly believe that he will, then I'll choose to give them the benefit of the doubt.

1262165[/snapback]

Let's just take a wait a see approach.

baseball players do have the same surgery all the time, and it usually takes them 1-2 years to come back. Of course, unless you bean somebody in the noggin. Not many guys in baseball trying to drive that surgically repaired shoulder into the turf.

While being deemed healthy is fine and dandy. Gannon had the same surgery, and so did Griese. Any other names?

I wish Brees the best, but I don't think it's in the best interest of the Chargers to pay long term money to a guy with a surgically repaired shoulder(rotator cuff or not). When you are already paying a FRANCHISE money to another guy. I think you have seen Brees' best year.

I would not sign him long term, but as i stated before I am a bit shrewder than most.

I also wouldn't sign a RB to a long term deal who has had a major knee injury. Given the interest in Edge, I'm not alone.