[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boomer Esiason TRASHES Marvin Lewis/Bengals

Steeltown Dre

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-re...s/s_412642.html

Bengals in disarray during, after loss

By Mike Prisuta

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason chastised Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis and criticized wide receiver Chad Johnson on Wednesday in the wake of the Bengals' 31-17 playoff loss to the Steelers.

Boomer's beef with Lewis involved a postgame declaration that the Bengals weren't going to "cry" about Kimo von Oelhoffen knocking Carson Palmer out of Sunday's game, "like their quarterback did."

That was going too far, in Esiason's estimation.

"Absolutely, because Marvin Lewis has his own problems," Esiason said during an appearance on the WDVE-FM Morning Show. "They had a huge fight in that locker room at halftime. It's the truth, flat out. (Wide receiver) Chad Johnson got into it with their wide receivers coach, Hue Jackson. (Wide receiver) T. J. Houshmandzadeh and Marvin came over to break it up and Chad was uncontrollable.

"So, Marvin Lewis should just worry about his own team."

Johnson denied taking a swing at Lewis on Tuesday, after profootballtalk.com posted a report detailing a halftime altercation.

Esiason maintained Johnson became upset after catching two passes for 30 yards during a first half that ended with the Bengals leading, 17-14.

Johnson wound up with four receptions for 59 yards and failed to catch a touchdown pass for the third time in three games against the Steelers this season.

"He wanted the ball more, screaming and yelling," Esiason said. "Guys are trying to tell him calm down; we're all in this together; your quarterback's hurt. I mean, show a little professionalism, for crying out loud.

"He's a knucklehead. He's a wide receiver in the NFL. Not everybody can be Hines Ward. If I could have 100 Hines Wards on my team, we would never lose a game. The bottom line is that (Ward) is the quintessential, unselfish, tremendous football player that every wide receiver should be like. He never complains. He blocks downfield. He understands his role in the offense and he just loves winning."

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger expressed surprise yesterday when responding to Lewis' charge.

"You don't expect that coming from a guy like that," Roethlisberger said. "Obviously, he was a little frustrated, but I don't remember complaining.

"It's just unfortunate coming from a guy like that."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher had addressed Lewis' remark Tuesday, saying "I would like to think it was said out of frustration."

Roethlisberger had called a hit to the knee by Cincinnati linebacker Odell Thurman in the Bengals' 38-31 victory over the Steelers on Dec. 4 at Heinz Field "a little dirty."

Replays confirmed Thurman was tripped on his way to the backfield by Steelers center Jeff Hartings and fell into Roethlisberger.

Thurman was penalized 15 yards for roughing the passer.

Esiason believes the Bengals have a problem with the Steelers in general.

"Pittsburgh is their measuring stick because Pittsburgh runs the team much like the Bengals run their team," he said. "It's family owned, but yet Pittsburgh for all these years has owned them and basically has been a more competitive franchise.

"I think Marvin should just worry about losing the game and controlling his own team as opposed to taking on other players."

Boomer.   :D The guy has also come across as an Kate Middleton to me.

1261358[/snapback]

I don't know, he sounds pretty knowledgable with this statement:

"He's a knucklehead. He's a wide receiver in the NFL. Not everybody can be Hines Ward. If I could have 100 Hines Wards on my team, we would never lose a game. The bottom line is that (Ward) is the quintessential, unselfish, tremendous football player that every wide receiver should be like. He never complains. He blocks downfield. He understands his role in the offense and he just loves winning."

Fact is, I'm now convinced that there is some truth to the 'Halftime Scuffle' incident, and it does speak badly of Chad Johnson, Marvin Lewis, and the Bengals. I know that the Bengals fans on the boards will try to sidestep or make light of it, but, if I was hearing this about the Steelers, it would not make me happy. By the way, I've never been a huge fan of Boomer as a commentator either.

P.S. I downloaded the Demo of Fight Night, and that is going to be an awesome

game. Now in addition to being able to shoot Egret online, I'll be able

to knock him out in the ring as well. :D

Edited by Menudo

Everybody (In Cincinnati), just take a DEEP BREATH, go home and rest up, and get ready for next season.

Bengals lost their composure during/after a tough game that included a very devastating injury (especially for a young, inexperienced team). Not everyone is mature enough yet, but this thing has gotten blown WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of proportion.

Good team on the rise, still things to improve, will be better next year. Marvin will take care of Chad's (as well as his own) emotions.

And thus (should) end the discussions of the Bengals for the 2005 season.

Former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason chastised Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis.....

"I think Marvin should just worry about losing the game and controlling his own team as opposed to taking on other players."

1261337[/snapback]

Chastised? Who the F he think he is... the Cinn owner?

I think that Esiason should worry about himself and keep his mouth shut and out of things he isn't involved with.

Just like everyone else... he wasn't there. All he has to go on is heresay.

And thus (should) end the discussions of the Bengals for the 2005 season.

1261372[/snapback]

:D Welcome to the big leagues, Bungles. The media and fans will be talking about this stuff through the Super Bowl. It's all about the drama, people love the drama.

Even Boomer love Hines Ward.

If anything this whole deal will really start to create a new rivalry in football. As the Bengals continue to improve, barring anything permanent happening to Palmer, I see these Cincy/Pitt games getting more and more competative. I'm sure Bengal fans already have those 2 games circled on the calender.

Good stuff.

Even Boomer love Hines Ward.

If anything this whole deal will really start to create a new rivalry in football. As the Bengals continue to improve, barring anything permanent happening to Palmer, I see these Cincy/Pitt games getting more and more competative. I'm sure Bengal fans already have those 2 games circled on the calender.

Good stuff.

1261380[/snapback]

The rivalries in the AFC North continue to go through cycles, with one constant: It is always the Steelers vs. "Whoever is closest" :D

Boomer is just a wee bit of a sensationalist. :D

Like many retired former-athletes, Boomer is scared to death of dealing with the fact that he has become irrelevant. The guy will say anything to keep his name in the limelight.

The rivalries in the AFC North continue to go through cycles, with one constant:  It is always the Steelers vs.  "Whoever is closest"  :D

1261382[/snapback]

Even in down years, you know your team will be "the one" the rest of them want to beat. History plays a huge part in rivalries and obviously the Steelers are the one team in that division with history on their side. Whatever it is, it's good for Bengal fans, it's good for Steeler fans and it's good for the NFL in general.

:D  Welcome to the big leagues, Bungles.  The media and fans will be talking about this stuff through the Super Bowl.  It's all about the drama, people love the drama.

1261378[/snapback]

Media loves it - yes

Fans? Fans of who? This is all silliness. The team was stunned by the one injury (and the severity of it counts too) that could knock them completely off their rocker, which it did.

Marvin, to his credit, doesn't want to accept excuses for losing. But this excuse threw his team off, even if it shouldn't have. (Don't get your panties all wadded up, Pitt fans, Pitt still may have won anyway given's Cin's defense, but that's not my point).

Marvin should say his team and their coach lost their poise during and after the game, (partly) due to a circumstance they admittedly didn't react to very well. No offense was intended to anybody. We'll be back better and more mature next year. Let's move on. I bet Cowher and Benny say that's cool and the issue is over.

I can't believe any Pitt fan is even reading these Bengals posts.

And this should REALLY end the discussions of the Bengals 2005 season!

I think that Esiason should worry about himself and keep his mouth shut and out of things he isn't involved with.

1261376[/snapback]

The reporter used the word chastised, not Boomer. He's is paid to speak his opinion and on this subject his opinion is somewhat relevant. He's just doing his job.

The rivalries in the AFC North continue to go through cycles, with one constant:  It is always the Steelers vs.  "Whoever is closest"  :D

1261382[/snapback]

Here's another constant: the Steelers not winning the SB. I look for that streak to continue again this year :D

1261376[/snapback]

i agree with the above. while boomer is paid to give his opinion and analysis, unless he was standing in that lockeroom, he's only adding fuel to the fire. while something may have happened that probably shouldn't have, until somebody like marvin lewis or somebody from bengals management explains this whole thing, then boomer should keep his trap shut.

overall, there was obviously some sort of incident that none of us know the extent of, which is probably about the level of knowledge 99% of the people reporting anything on it have as well.

to be honest, i personally am not as concerned with this crap as i am of this weekends matchups, and i would imagine a large percentage of nfl fans are with me. unless chad knocked somebody out or something was severe enough to associate fines or suspensions, let's put this thing to bed.

Jeesh, its like the only thing Steelers fans have to talk about this week is Chad Johnson.

1261528[/snapback]

Not true. I've been doing a lot a talk about the Colts game this Sunday. WE get to play another game...... :D:D

Not everybody can be Hines Ward. If I could have 100 Hines Wards on my team, we would never lose a game. The bottom line is that (Ward) is the quintessential, unselfish, tremendous football player that every wide receiver should be like. He never complains. He blocks downfield. He understands his role in the offense and he just loves winning."

1261337[/snapback]

Some incredibly good info here.

You know, I have plans to go out with this really hot woman this weekend. I know I'm not gonna score, though, so I just sit around and think about the last chick I went out with.

1261662[/snapback]

Nah, you just envy the guy who just beat you down and took the hot girl from you. Now, you will just watch in envy, and hope with all your might that the hot girl dumps the guy who beat you down and took her from you so that they can feel some pain. Sad really. :D .......

Wait, are we still talking about football ? :D