[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where does an 8 year old get a gun?

Piranha

Police: Boy shoots girl at day care center

GERMANTOWN, Maryland (AP) -- A gun brought to a day care center by an 8-year-old boy accidentally went off Tuesday, wounding a 7-year-old girl in the arm, police said.

The boy had the gun in the backpack and was playing with it when it went off at the For Kids We Care center, Montgomery County police spokesman Derek Baliles said.

The girl was taken to Children's Hospital in Washington, he said. Her injury was not considered life-threatening.

There were six children in the center at the time of the shooting, which happened around 7 a.m. No one else was hurt.

Police said they do not know where the child got the gun. Names of the children, both from Germantown, a suburb of Washington, were not released.

Police spokeswoman Nancy Nickerson visited the scene shortly after the shooting and said the children were watching television.

"The day care provider there did an excellent job of keeping the children safe and secure and calm," she said.

For Kids We Care Inc. operates two medium-size daycare centers in Germantown, according to its Web site.

dad had it  in the dresser... kid  found it thought it was cool... that be my guess

1285294[/snapback]

You know it had to come from the parents or worse from an older gang banger sibling.

A. Glad to hear the little girl will be OK.

B. Mom and dad of the boy are in deep trouble and should be.

C. I gave my 9-year-old a .22 rifle for his birthday last week. :D He loves it and it will stay in my gun safe unless we are shooting together.

A.  Glad to hear the little girl will be OK.

B. Mom and dad of the boy are in deep trouble and should be.

C. I gave my 9-year-old a .22 rifle for his birthday last week.  :D  He loves it    and it will stay in my gun safe unless we are shooting together.

1285340[/snapback]

Yah u are a responsible gun owner and parent... but the problem is u are in the minority.... Witch is a shame

Yah u are a responsible gun owner and parent... but the problem is u are in the minority.... Witch is a shame

1285351[/snapback]

That is not true. When you figure how many people own guns and how many "accidents" happen, then the parents of this kid assuming that is where he got the gun are in the minority.

1285351[/snapback]

I gotta go along with Perch on this one. I don't think I'm in the minority. Every one of my friends that has kids and guns also has a gun safe.

That is not true.  When you figure how many people own guns and how many "accidents" happen, then the parents of this kid assuming that is where he got the gun are in the minority.

1285359[/snapback]

What is sad is when people justify things like this by saying an accident like this falls in the minority of gun owners. When talking about accidents with guns THERE IS NO MINORITY. One accident is bad enough.

What is sad is when people justify things like this by saying an accident like this falls in the minority of gun owners.  When talking about accidents with guns THERE IS NO MINORITY.  One accident is bad enough.

1286430[/snapback]

I'm guessing you don't drive, don't fly, and probably never leave the house, or is it an ivory tower?

So how does the home defense thing work then?  Surely you must have a gun in your bedroom, right?

1286395[/snapback]

Yup, and it goes with when I leave. :D I, nor any of my friends, leave guns in night stands, dresser drawers or closet shelves. Some keep their HD guns in a small safe next to the bed.

I also keep a shotgun in the corner of the bedroom, but it gets put away every morning. :D

Yup, and it goes with when I leave.  :D  I, nor any of my friends, leave guns in night stands, dresser drawers or closet shelves.  Some keep their HD guns in a small safe next to the bed.

I also keep a shotgun in the corner of the bedroom, but it gets put away every morning.  :D

1286769[/snapback]

That safe is way cool. Another clever application of biometrics.

I'm guessing you don't drive, don't fly, and probably never leave the house, or is it an ivory tower?

1286517[/snapback]

I have nothing against owning a gun. My point is that I don't care what the majority do, one accident with a gun and that person/parent should not be allowed to own a gun every again. Just like I think drunk drivers should be banned from driving ever again.

I have nothing against owning a gun.  My point is that I don't care what the majority do, one accident with a gun and that person/parent should not be allowed to own a gun every again.  Just like I think drunk drivers should be banned from driving ever again.

1287190[/snapback]

I agree with you 100%. I would fully back stricter laws and enforcement for those that are irresponsible. What you quoted from me earlier was a response to a typical knee jerk liberal reaction to these type of accidents. It is disingenuous or ignorant to state that most gun owners are irresponsible, like Yukon did. The truth is most gun owners act more responsible with their guns than most auto owners act with their autos.

I agree with you 100%.  I would fully back stricter laws and enforcement for those that are irresponsible.  What you quoted from me earlier was a response to a typical knee jerk liberal reaction to these type of accidents.  It is disingenuous or ignorant to state that most gun owners are irresponsible, like Yukon did.  The truth is most gun owners act more responsible with their guns than most auto owners act with their autos.

1287335[/snapback]

No argument here. However, there are numerous gun right activists that oppose any restrictions on gun ownership whatsoever, even if the restriction is narrowly tailored to apply only to irresponsible/criminal gun owners.