[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tankless hot water heaters

Chief Dick

Anyone here have one in your house?

The time is coming soon for me to replace our standard gas hot water heater. I have been checking into the tankless variety for two reasons:

1. The efficiency and idea of continous hot water

2. To get experience in installing them.

Just curious for those who have them how much they like them and if you feel they are worth the additional cost. I know I can buy units that can run one appliance at a time or multiple appliances, but am not sure whether the additional costs are worth it for the greater capacity.

We have a small 3 bedroom house, and we rarely wash clothes in hot water, so I think it would be easy for us to simply not run the dishwasher while we are showering.

Let me know your experiences. Don't really need advice on installing it unless there are some secrets to making it a smooth installation. From what I've see it looks pretty basic. (I've installed probably 30 hot water heaters in my life)

Thanks.

I actually just got certification to install them, suppliers in my region will not sell them unless you have certification. Very easy to install, comparing it to gas , it's very efficent, you can install on any exterior wall and vent directly out side of house. If you install one, you also qualify for a $300 tax credit.

I don't know about your area, but about 2 years ago, the OHIO Builders Association put into place a code that required a gas valve control panel, this has pushed the price of Nat Gas water heaters in my region by 125%, I use to buy a 40Gal NG heater for $119, now they're about $250, the tankless water heaters are about $800 with the flu kit.

I have 2-75 gal NG in my house ( 6 baths and 3 kids ) , so when the time comes for replacement, i'll go the way of the tankless for sure.

You can also get remote control for these units. If the price doesn't stear you away from them, i'd go with the tankless.

I've installed 3 of them for the City I work in CD. They are simple to install, and IMHO, they are the cat's ***. I'll be putting one in my own house this spring. The only hassle is you need to vent it with stainless steel (which can be pricey), but if you're handy at all, you'll have little trouble. I favor the Bosch 125 series , but that's just me. If you need any help or advice, feel free to pm me. Good luck!