[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another reason to hate unions

polksalet

Striking Boeing workers have yet to settle their strike. Until they do the next second generation GPS satellite is not even assembled for launch. It appears the earliest it could launch is April. After that there are 4 other Delta 2 launches from the same pad, meaning launching 2 GPS satellites this year is an almost impossibility.

Meanwhile PRN 25 was out of service for more than a month. It is on line now, but it is very likely that the next time it may be down for good and ever.

Striking Boeing workers have yet to settle their strike. Until they do the next second generation GPS satellite is not even assembled for launch. It appears the earliest it could launch is April. After that there are 4 other Delta 2 launches from the same pad, meaning launching 2 GPS satellites this year is an almost impossibility.

Meanwhile PRN 25 was out of service for more than a month. It is on line now, but it is very likely that the next time it may be down for good and ever.

1295856[/snapback]

I'm not a union fan but if companies want to really get rid of unions treat your workers well. Toyota and many companies have done it, but many companies don't. In case you forgot unions started because companies were horrible.

Read The Jungle.

That said many unions are as bad as those companies were.

What do they want and why isn't Boeing settling with them? It takes two to tango.

Is this a pension issue?

i agree, unions should go.....its a shame when companies are afraid to come to a region because of the problems unions have been making..

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../601200452/1014

Most importantly, militant labor union dissidents are urging confrontation instead of wage-and-benefit concessions to Delphi Corp., General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. This activity "absolutely scares the liver out of Toyota," says David Cole, chairman of the Center for Auto Research, who has been assisting Granholm in her bid to attract Japanese automotive investment to Michigan.

Japan-based automakers have located most of their U.S. production facilities in Southern states with nonunion workers. UAW attempts to organize Honda, Nissan and Toyota plants in Ohio, Tennessee and Kentucky have failed.

Unions do not suck, Athenay unions do.

I agree that today there is almost no need for unions. BUT as Penn. has shown us, I think there are certain jobs that need to have a union in order to protect their employees. Example, the miners up in Penn.

I was union rep for my school for a few years. It was a thankless job. There were some issues, but almost all were easily resolved. Instead of helping to solve problems and make the school better, I became the Comlaint Dept. The stuff that we had to discuss was very petty. Unions have their place. I'm glad that teachers, for the most part, are very secure in their positions.

I was union rep for my school for a few years.  It was a thankless job.  There were some issues, but almost all were easily resolved.  Instead of helping to solve problems and make the school better, I became the Comlaint Dept.  The stuff that we had to discuss was very petty.  Unions have their place.  I'm glad that teachers, for the most part, are very secure in their positions.

1296652[/snapback]

Agree! I've been in this anti-union discussion more times than i can count. It's gettin' old. I believe most of the anti-union thing comes from people that are not in unions, have no understanding of unions and their purpose, are secretly jealous of unions, and have no respect for what a good union does to protect USA jobs!

I have stated my case several times, but these threads keep popping up drilling animosity with no real substance! The USA was built w/ unions! There is bad in unions, but it is offset with the good they do! 10 fold! I was a union worker, still support union workers, I even beep my horn when I pass a picket line, and feel they add more to our success as a country than anyone will ever realize!

Long may unions live!!!! :D It's as American as anything can be!

Agree!  I've been in this anti-union discussion more times than i can count.  It's gettin' old.  I believe most of the anti-union thing comes from people that are not in unions, have no understanding of unions and their purpose, are secretly jealous of unions, and have no respect for what a good union does to protect USA jobs!

I have stated my case several times, but these threads keep popping up drilling animosity with no real substance!  The USA was built w/ unions!  There is bad in unions, but it is offset with the good they do!  10 fold!  I was a union worker, still support union workers, I even beep my horn when I pass a picket line, and feel they add more to our success as a country than anyone will ever realize!

1296690[/snapback]

I too have been down this road enough times to know that most of these anti union people don't have a clue.

RR sums it up pretty well so I'll just add a ditto and roll my eyes.

I too have been down this road enough times to know that most of these anti union people don't have a clue.

1296714[/snapback]

Skip....TY! :D

Union bashing is easy, if you're not in a union! It's mostly nit picking by people .................................................OH SCREW IT!

This is boring and stupid!

UNION!!!! It IS THE AMERICAN WAY!!!!!!

'Nuff said!!

Edited by rocknrobn26

Most people who are anti-union have never worked in a profession that is unionized. They also take things that unions have fought for (overtime, 40 hour workweek, etc) for granted. If you think that these things would continue to exist without organized labor, you are sadly mistaken ...

The weakening of unions in SE Tex has led to a dramatic decrease in the standard of living for semi-skilled laborers ...

Agree!  I've been in this anti-union discussion more times than i can count.  It's gettin' old.  I believe most of the anti-union thing comes from people that are not in unions, have no understanding of unions and their purpose, are secretly jealous of unions, and have no respect for what a good union does to protect USA jobs!

I have stated my case several times, but these threads keep popping up drilling animosity with no real substance!  The USA was built w/ unions!  There is bad in unions, but it is offset with the good they do!  10 fold!  I was a union worker, still support union workers, I even beep my horn when I pass a picket line, and feel they add more to our success as a country than anyone will ever realize!

1296690[/snapback]

1296714[/snapback]

I also have been in these discussions since the Huddler started. Most of those that bitch the most about their jobs are anti-union. :D

Edited by aqualung

Most people who are anti-union have never worked in a profession that is unionized.  They also take things that unions have fought for (overtime, 40 hour workweek, etc) for granted.  If you think that these things would continue to exist without organized labor, you are sadly mistaken ...

The weakening of unions in SE Tex has led to a dramatic decrease in the standard of living for semi-skilled laborers ...

1296719[/snapback]

Listen to this man! He IS wise! :D

1296690[/snapback]

Hey rr. I've been thinking about unions lately and their roles in America today. I am not in a union and have never been in a union, but I understand and agree with their historical contribution to the strength of American commerce.

I've been wondering if unions have become an Achille's heel of sorts for American business. In other words, have unions run their course? Obviously labor costs are higher because of unions, which explains why many companies manufacture products overseas.

How do you see their future in America? And do you think unions will have to do some restructuring of sorts in order to better compete long term with global markets? My concern is that in the future unions may serve as some very heavy baggage for our bigger companies, and more jobs will shift overseas because of this.

I'm just looking for discussion here, and certainly mean no disrespect. Just want some education. :D

i was going to type something but i just read Chief Dick's last post and literally covered 95 % of what i wanted to write

My dad was in a union and i have friends in various unions ...and i have to agree while Unions needed to be created many years ago as a result of unfair practices by business owners and also to help protect the little man , i do believe they have run their course ( to some extent ) ....

and have no respect for what a good union does to protect USA jobs!

:D

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, say it again, PLEASE say it again!

and have no respect for what a good union does to protect USA jobs!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D

OKay bro, you got my vote for funniest huddler! Good job!!!!

i agree with the chief...my wife is even in a union as a teacher and it does alot of good things...

but, america is losing the war on jobs...we lose more jobs to cheaper labor overseas every year...no disrespect, but i think a guy tightening a bolt doesnt deserve to get $20 an hour...which is one reason so many companies are hurting...just look at the big 3 here in se mich...labor costs are on the top of their list of problems

people are going to have to get used to fact of lower wages and fewer benefits if these companies are to succeed.....

i agree with the chief...my wife is even in a union as a teacher and it does alot of good things...

but, america is losing the war on jobs...we lose more jobs to cheaper labor overseas every year...no disrespect, but i think a guy tightening a bolt doesnt deserve to get $20 an hour...which is one reason so many companies are hurting...just look at the big 3 here in se mich...labor costs are on the top of their list of problems

people are going to have to get used to fact of lower wages and fewer benefits if these companies are to succeed.....

1296758[/snapback]

The unions fired millions of people from the working poor to the middle class. More than any single other force, the organization of labor is responsible for all the things we now take for granted - paid vacation, 40 hour week, and the rest. Does anyone seriously think the old robber barons in the Gilded Age would have voluntarily granted these things to their labor force?

Whether they are now outdated is a point for debate. Given the backslapping circle jerk that is corporate executive management, awarding itself insane remuneration levels, I doubt we can get rid of unions just yet.

Who here is classified "exempt" and always works a 40 hour week?

Why do you hate Lynn Swann? :D

1296826[/snapback]

'Cause he's a W-nob-slobbering my favorite party. :D

And you Kate Middletons who say unions are responsible for the loss of American jobs really do hate America. You want to lower the American standard of living to that of 3rd world countries? If your Megan Foxbag my favorite party government would enforce trade agreements that require other countries to offer workers the basic protections that you toolboxes take for granted, and to ensure basic environmental safeguards, the incentive to ship American jobs overseas would be greatly reduced.

USAF and Frieght Railroad Employee.....Of course a union member.....As coporate america outsources work and the goverment relies more and more on contractors.......Even in combat situations.......Work standards today are a direct result of the "union" founders......Are working standards safe enough for the the absolute abolishment of unions? I don't know but I will say one thing,"The nfl players association and "Pro Sports Unions" Should never be mention in the same sentence as those poor miners.......If the actual worker gets paid less and flips the bill for his or her health insurance....Do the executives give the surplus to charity or do they line their own pockets? Unioins were established for a purpose and it may have gone off course over time........But so hasn't the american dream....$300,000 house and one kid because college is so expensive, wasn't my grandfathers idea of the american dream.

Edited by IrishPride