[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another reason to hate unions

polksalet

Long may unions live!!!! :D It's as American as anything can be!

1296690[/snapback]

I seem to recall a rant by Az saying unions were very anti-American in principle and I was pretty convinced.

Not to put words in Az's mouth, of course...but I remember something along those lines.

The unions fired millions of people from the working poor to the middle class.  More than any single other force, the organization of labor is responsible for all the things we now take for granted - paid vacation, 40 hour week, and the rest.  Does anyone seriously think the old robber barons in the Gilded Age would have voluntarily granted these things to their labor force? 

Whether they are now outdated is a point for debate.  Given the backslapping circle jerk that is corporate executive management, awarding itself insane remuneration levels, I doubt we can get rid of unions just yet.

Who here is classified "exempt" and always works a 40 hour week?

1296787[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is saying unions weren't responsible for the many things that are taken for granted now Ursa...it is the animal that now exists in its present form that many people find debatable, as you mentioned.

I'll counter your exempt that works 40hrs a week with a pilot that sits at home each month on reserve in the Allied Pilots Association and gets full pay. Like the government or anything else, there is a lot of waste going on whether it be, manhours, pay, etc.

I thought this thread died! It should have! :D

The old saying "Never discuss politics or religion", needs to be expanded to "Never discuss politics, religion, unions, or teaching". The subjects are tooo controversial and almost an automatic polarization! JMHO!

I thought this thread died!  It should have! :D

The old saying "Never discuss politics or religion", needs to be expanded to "Never discuss politics, religion, unions, or teaching".  The subjects are tooo controversial and almost an automatic polarization!  JMHO!

1312235[/snapback]

Yes rr, how sad. :D

The old saying "Never discuss politics or religion", needs to be expanded to "Never discuss politics, religion, unions, or teaching".  The subjects are tooo controversial and almost an automatic polarization!  JMHO!

1312235[/snapback]

I, for one, learn on many of these polarizing issues.

'Cause he's a W-nob-slobbering my favorite party.  :D

And you Kate Middletons who say unions are responsible for the loss of American jobs really do hate America.  You want to lower the American standard of living to that of 3rd world countries?  If your Megan Foxbag my favorite party government would enforce trade agreements that require other countries to offer workers the basic protections that you toolboxes take for granted, and to ensure basic environmental safeguards, the incentive to ship American jobs overseas would be greatly reduced.

1297123[/snapback]

Ask the unions what they thought about yer boy Clinton trying to slide NAFTA around them.

I, for one, learn on many of these polarizing issues.

1312252[/snapback]

I'm glad about that, but most people (here and outside of here) have a predetermined, unshakeable, biased opinion. Like ME! :D

I am proud to be a Union and teacher supporter (no stoopid jokes, please!)! Logic??? There is no logic for anti-union/anti-teacher advocates. It's a mind set, a devotion, and an unshkeable belief. And I am the same for pro unions and pro teachers. You want to discuss this over cocktails....Fan-friggin-tastic!! On the boards.........it's just gettin' old!

To H8 and all the rest that think public education is a joke and unions have no purpose:

"If you can read this,Thank a Teacher"! :oldrazz:

"If unions weren't necessary, they wouldn't exist!" :oldrazz:

Talk to some miners and people who only through unions can tell their wives that they WILL probably be home tonight AFTER work!

Unions ARE America! :D

Carry on! :D

I'm glad about that, but most people (here and outside of here) have a predetermined, unshakeable, biased opinion. Like ME!  :D

I am proud to be a Union and teacher supporter (no stoopid jokes, please!)!  Logic???  There is no logic for anti-union/anti-teacher advocates.  It's a mind set, a devotion, and an unshkeable belief.  And I am the same for pro unions and pro teachers.  You want to discuss this over cocktails....Fan-friggin-tastic!!  On the boards.........it's just gettin' old!

To H8 and all the rest that think public education is a joke and unions have no purpose:

"If you can read this,Thank a Teacher"! :oldrazz:

"If unions weren't necessary, they wouldn't exist!" :oldrazz:

Talk to some miners and people who only through unions can tell their wives that they WILL probably be home tonight AFTER work!

Unions ARE America! :D

Carry on! :D

1312293[/snapback]

Word. :D

I'm glad about that, but most people (here and outside of here) have a predetermined, unshakeable, biased opinion. Like ME!  :D

I am proud to be a Union and teacher supporter (no stoopid jokes, please!)!  Logic???  There is no logic for anti-union/anti-teacher advocates.  It's a mind set, a devotion, and an unshkeable belief.  And I am the same for pro unions and pro teachers.  You want to discuss this over cocktails....Fan-friggin-tastic!!  On the boards.........it's just gettin' old!

1312293[/snapback]

Well, I won't deny I side on the "I don't think unions are as useful as they once were side" but I do feel they are still a necessary evil in some industries. A great example would be the unions for miners and the unions for pilots. Which do you think is really necessary?

I don't exactly subscribe to blindly following a pro-union stance just 'cause...there is a time and place for them like anything else. Kind of like you base your judgement of a person on that person, not on skin color. Case by case basis. Am I making any sense here? :D

'Cause he's a W-nob-slobbering my favorite party.  :D

And you Kate Middletons who say unions are responsible for the loss of American jobs really do hate America.  You want to lower the American standard of living to that of 3rd world countries?  If your Megan Foxbag my favorite party government would enforce trade agreements that require other countries to offer workers the basic protections that you toolboxes take for granted, and to ensure basic environmental safeguards, the incentive to ship American jobs overseas would be greatly reduced.

1297123[/snapback]

One of your better, recent posts, Squeegie.

Well, I won't deny I side on the "I don't think unions are as useful as they once were side" but I do feel they are still a necessary evil in some industries.  A great example would be the unions for miners and the unions for pilots.  Which do you think is really necessary?

I don't know pilots very well.  But I see no problem w/ unions anywhere.  I told you I was prejudiced.  :D  United pilots & airline workers got screwed w/ their retirement.  JMO! My dad got screwed out of a pension that my mom is suffering w/ this  to this day.  The laws have changed, but that don't help my mom! I admitted I am blind when it comes to unions. If the workers think it is necessary and they are pragmatic...good for them!  It seemed that this country worked better when 40%+ of the workers had a union.  With the 20% we have now, it ain't lookin too good.  Yeah, bad analogy, but I am a prounion BIGOT!  I admit it, but I also have worked w/o one (union). As I have also held several jobs (not to mention my own businesses) as a non-teacher! That was some scary chit!

I don't exactly subscribe to blindly following a pro-union stance just 'cause...there is a time and place for them like anything else.  Kind of like you base your judgement of a person on that person, not on skin color.  Case by case basis.  Am I making any sense here?  :D

1312305[/snapback]

Understand and YES you are making sense! :D I have been in both worlds, so to speak. Unions have always served me well and I have dedicated a lot of my free time to make sure it worked well. If/When unions die it will be a sad day for the USA!

1312235[/snapback]

Yep! I actually try not to read these sorts of threads because I have very strong feelings about all this. I think most people would have different views if they could walk a mile in some of our union brethren's shoes.

I don't want to get to where I dislike someone over a statement they make in a thread like this. I like to think that they just see the bad and don't begin to understand the good.

It's my glass half full outlook that I am trying to adopt.

I'll counter your exempt that works 40hrs a week with a pilot that sits at home each month on reserve in the Allied Pilots Association and gets full pay.  Like the government or anything else, there is a lot of waste going on whether it be, manhours, pay, etc.

1311947[/snapback]

My point about the "exempt" was that I don't know anyone that works a straight 40 hour week, regularly, and is exempt, because their workload is too big to avoid working 45 to 50 hours. And the administration put a lot more people in the exempt category. Why was that?

If unions go away, the 50-60 hour week for everyone - without overtime - will be back before you can blink.

Yep!  I actually try not to read these sorts of threads because I have very strong feelings about all this.  I think most people would have different views if they could walk a mile in some of our union brethren's shoes. 

I don't want to get to where I dislike someone over a statement they make in a thread like this.  I like to think that they just see the bad and don't begin to understand the good. 

It's my glass half full outlook that I am trying to adopt.

1312355[/snapback]

Well thought out, my friend! :D

My point about the "exempt" was that I don't know anyone that works a straight 40 hour week, regularly, and is exempt, because their workload is too big to avoid working 45 to 50 hours.  And the administration put a lot more people in the exempt category.  Why was that? 

If unions go away, the 50-60 hour week for everyone - without overtime - will be back before you can blink.

1312377[/snapback]

Sad but true! :D But the +40 work week for many is a standard right now! :D:D

Well thought out, my friend! :D

Sad but true!  :D But the +40 work week for many is a standard right now!  :D  :D

1312436[/snapback]

During the first month of this year, members of my staff have turned in weekly time cards with greater than 70 hours over twenty times, greater than 80 hours seven times and over 90 hours (97 to be exact) once. No-one has turned a time card in with less than 45 hours the entire year so far.