[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

anyone like french onion soup?

Bier Meister

5 onions (finely sliced)

1.5 c marsala

.5 c sweet vermouth

2 gallons of beef stock

.5 cup sherry

3 bay leaves

3 springs of thyme

3 branches of parsley

5-10 peppercorns

slowly saute onions in large pot over low/me heat for about 2-3 hrs. stir every 10 min... the longer you go the more frequently you need to stir. if there is any cooking to fast add a couple of ounces of water. deglaze with marsala and vermouth. reduce by half. add stock. brign heat up.. bring to boil.. then simmer for about 30 min- 1 hr. create a seasoning bag (sachet) wuth coffee filter and string.... put the bay leaves, parsley, thyme and peppercorn in.... add sachet to soup for the duration of simmering... then discard... add sherry.....

best served with gruyere melted over toasted baguette slices.

Edited by Bier Meister

what type of onions?

1312909[/snapback]

yellow.

in the past i have used yellow, red, leeks, and shallots....

i have also used red wine/port as my deglazing liquid.....

Edited by Bier Meister

• 8 months later...

5 onions (finely sliced)

1.5 c marsala

.5 c sweet vermouth

2 gallons of beef stock

.5 cup sherry

3 bay leaves

3 springs of thyme

3 branches of parsley

5-10 peppercorns

slowly saute onions in large pot over low/me heat for about 2-3 hrs. stir every 10 min... the longer you go the more frequently you need to stir. if there is any cooking to fast add a couple of ounces of water. deglaze with marsala and vermouth. reduce by half. add stock. brign heat up.. bring to boil.. then simmer for about 30 min- 1 hr. create a seasoning bag (sachet) wuth coffee filter and string.... put the bay leaves, parsley, thyme and peppercorn in.... add sachet to soup for the duration of simmering... then discard... add sherry.....

best served with gruyere melted over toasted baguette slices.

Bier, how much soup does this recipe make?? 2 gallons of stock? I assume all the ingredients could just be halved?

yeah. can half it.. just use 3 onions (always round up when making fo soup). watch the onions though, they will cook much faster with fewer in the pot.... med heat and add 1/2 c of water from the beginning. the water will evaporate. just keep stirring and adding a little water as it gets pretty low (au sec- almost dry).

yeah. can half it.. just use 3 onions (always round up when making fo soup). watch the onions though, they will cook much faster with fewer in the pot.... med heat and add 1/2 c of water from the beginning. the water will evaporate. just keep stirring and adding a little water as it gets pretty low (au sec- almost dry).

thanks Bier.

peppercorns go in to the sachet (little pouch of herbs). will not disolve... they get removed when sachet is pulled from the soup.

TY! Mrs. RR prolly knew that.

Edit for:

:D It's in the recipe/instructions!

Edited by rocknrobn26

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mrs. HR made the soup today (she must have halved the recipe cause it's almost gone). I am in complete onion soup bliss right now. That is one GREAT recipe Bier! Thanks, friend, I definitely owe you one! :D

Not that I have room for any but what would be a good dessert to go with this? Mrs HR didn't want to give me my suggestion. (A full body massage). And I don't know about the rest of the Huddlers but if your wife can cook half as good as Mrs HR you are in paradise already. I swear she could make a brown paper bag taste good.

Edited by The Holy Roller

1 Golden Delicious apple

1 frozen puff pastry sheet (from one 17 1/4-ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets), thawed

2 oz chevre

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

2 tablespoons water

Peel apple, halve lengthwise, and core. Using a 1-cup ramekin (3 1/4 inches across and 2 1/4 inches deep) as a guide, cut out 2 rounds from pastry sheet.

In a 7-inch heavy skillet heat butter over moderate heat until foam subsides and stir in brown sugar and water. Add apple halves and cook, turning frequently, 3 minutes. In two 1-cup ramekins set on a baking sheet arrange apple halves, cored sides up, add cheese to each, and top evenly with sauce.

Top apples with pastry rounds, letting edges of pastry hang over sides of apples. Bake tarts in middle of oven for 20 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown, and cool on a rack 5 minutes. Working with 1 ramekin at a time, invert a plate over each ramekin and invert ramekin onto plate. Carefully lift off ramekins.

makes 2

• 8 months later...