[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

S. Alexander says Panthers his #2 choice

Ralph Furley

Per CBS Sportsline:

Shaun Alexander, RB SEA

News: The Charlotte Observer reports Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander prefers returning to Seattle, but picked the Panthers as his second choice. "I tell everybody I don't think Seattle's going to let it get to that. But, if it does get to that, Carolina would definitely be a good place," he said. "Those guys are awesome. It's fun and there's a family atmosphere. They keep it close and you can tell why they do good things together."

Analysis: It remains to be seen where Alexander suits up next season, though Seattle still seems like the likely place. Regardless, Alexander should be expected to put up close to 20 touchdowns with over 1,500 total yards in 2006.

Per CBS Sportsline:

Shaun Alexander, RB SEA

News: The Charlotte Observer reports Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander prefers returning to Seattle, but picked the Panthers as his second choice. "I tell everybody I don't think Seattle's going to let it get to that. But, if it does get to that, Carolina would definitely be a good place," he said. "Those guys are awesome. It's fun and there's a family atmosphere. They keep it close and you can tell why they do good things together."

Analysis: It remains to be seen where Alexander suits up next season, though Seattle still seems like the likely place. Regardless, Alexander should be expected to put up close to 20 touchdowns with over 1,500 total yards in 2006.

1321035[/snapback]

I think Carolina is a perfect fit for Alexander if he leaves, but without Walter Jones and Hutch he won't be running behind as good of a line and I would be suprised to see him get 20 TD's, 1400 yards and 15 TD's aint bad though.

I don't think that Seattle's letting Alexander go.  The Panthers have a much better shot of landing Edge than him.

1321065[/snapback]

This is what I thought too, but I think by Alexander saying this he was sending a message to Carolina IMO. don't be to quick to go after 1 guy when you can get me is what I am reading between the lines.

I don't think the Panthers have a shot at landing any big name FA's this year. And I don't think they need to. Look at what they've done with the seemingly no-name talents over the last couple seasons.

Nick Goings filled in admirably. Deshaun Foster (when healthy) is a fine replacement of Davis. And they do have Eric Shelton coming back off injury. So if they can sign Foster at a reasonable price, which they will, I don't see the need to go after a guy like Edge/Alexander. They need another bonafied receiver for Delhomme to throw to.

According to This Link posted by Randall in another thread, it would look like Carolina would have difficulties clearing the cap space to sign either of them.  Guess we can than Ken Lucas in part for that.

1321097[/snapback]

It looks like Arizona and Cleveland may be the only two teams in a position to outbid Seattle for SA.

It looks like Arizona and Cleveland may be the only two teams in a position to outbid Seattle for SA.

1321101[/snapback]

And I say let him go to either of those teams if he wants a record contract. Let him see what life is like with out Seattle's line. I don't know what it is about SA, he just doesn't seem to "fit" with the team in my opinion.

The Panthers are going to trim some fat, as I look for Mitchell, Reyes and SDavis to be released, along with some others, the main objective will be to resign Witherspoon. As SA mentioned, the organazation is really attractive to players-they want to come and play for Big Cat Richardson and Coach Fox. This gives the Panthers some leverage with players-in the end the money may talk louder, but this team is on the cusp of winning a SB, and that is also attractive. Carolina is a top notch organazation, with a true family type atmosphere, and is a legitimate SB contender. I look for either SA, Edge or C Taylor to be brought into the Carolina fold.

The Panthers are going to trim some fat, as I look for Mitchell, Reyes and SDavis to be released, along with some others, the main objective will be to resign Witherspoon. As SA mentioned, the organazation is really attractive to players-they want to come and play for Big Cat Richardson and Coach Fox. This gives the Panthers some leverage with players-in the end the money may talk louder, but this team is on the cusp of winning a SB, and that is also attractive. Carolina is a top notch organazation, with a true family type atmosphere, and is a legitimate SB contender. I look for either SA, Edge or C Taylor to be brought into the Carolina fold.

1321110[/snapback]

I say SA, Edge, or Taylor go to whatever team offers them the most money. My guess is that Sean's agent advised him to say the lovey dovey stuff about Carolina and it isn't a coincidence that they are a top tier NFC team.

I say SA, Edge, or Taylor go to whatever team offers them the most money.  My guess is that Sean's agent advised him to say the lovey dovey stuff about Carolina and it isn't a coincidence that they are a top tier NFC team.

1321118[/snapback]

Very well could be just that, but Hurney and Fox will bring a RB in via FA-who? Shelton will see some totes next year, but this kid was much raw-er than the Panther staff expected, and most likely is still a season away from being the every down back he was drafted to be, so the Panthers must bring in a RB, and I fully expect them to do just that by FA or trade wise.

A lot of that is true. But SA really wants to be in Seattle, his family loves Seattle and Behind that line he goes to the HOF afterwards.

1321129[/snapback]

He has already said there will be no hometown discount. Which to me says he doesn't really understand that Seattle has done as much for him as he has done for Seattle.

He has already said there will be no hometown discount.  Which to me says he doesn't really understand that Seattle has done as much for him as he has done for Seattle.

1321131[/snapback]

True but it's hard to know what is posturing and what is true. All us fans can do is wait and see. There will be wuite a few changes this year. Shaun, Edge, TO, loss of Favre and others will change a lot of team fortunes this year.

IMO Carolina had one of its 2 chances with this team, this yr, and failed. I dont see them as a serious threat after the 2006 season, and Im not sure they have the horses to get to the bowl. This is one of the most over-rated franchises in the NFL imo. Steve Smith played out of his mind, or they dont even make the playoffs last yr. Can he repeat those numbers while the running game continues to slow down the offense, and the rest of the WR corp completely suck. I think Sea and Dallas showed the blueprint to beat Carolina, stop steve smith and the rest of the offense crumbles like crackers. In my opinion both will stand in their way to even get to the bowl for the next few seasons.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

This is what I thought too, but I think by Alexander saying this he was sending a message to Carolina IMO. don't be to quick to go after 1 guy when you can get me is what I am reading between the lines.

1321068[/snapback]

Or maybe Alexander's just trying to light a fire under Seattle's hindquarter to get a new deal in place. I seriously doubt that Seattle will let SA go... and he doesn't seem to want to go. On the other hand, Edge is clearly frustrated about his situation in Indy and feels that his days are numbered.

Or maybe Alexander's just trying to light a fire under Seattle's hindquarter to get a new deal in place.  I seriously doubt that Seattle will let SA go... and he doesn't seem to want to go. 

1321807[/snapback]

SA was quoted on how great it was to spend time with some of the Carolina players during the Pro Bowl. It seems as though he is lobbying and trying to circumvent his stance as the Panthers seem to be the only good team (and can challenge for the NFC crown) that has cap space to sign him away from the Seahawks. That being said, I'm not convinced he will stay in Seattle. If Arizona/Cleveland offers him a better bonus and a few more Benji's, I could see him go, especially the more the negotiations drag out. If it does come down to that, as a Hawk fan, I have no choice but to say 'good riddance.'

The more Alexander opens his mouth the less I like him.  He is starting to look more and more like A-Rod.

1323777[/snapback]

It's all about the money........I hate when people say that about him or A-Rod. If I could get a job making two or three times as much money, I would, So does that make me a bad person? The last time I checked, I think the last person that stuck around for veteran minimum was the Bus and he finally got a ring. Loyalty has worked a couple of times in pro sports but until you have lived in there shoes its hard to judge their motivation. There job is a game they get paid to play...not a bad deal if you can make tons of cash.......Loyalty only works with dogs not in professional sports, dogs die of old age, loyal players get cut when they loose a step.....I'm a blue collar worker and work hard for my money, It's not like this is a rich persons perspective...If the players don't get the money, the owners will.

It's all about the money........I hate when people say that about him or A-Rod.  If I could get a job making two or three times as much money, I would, So does that make me a bad person? The last time I checked, I think the last person that stuck around for veteran minimum was the Bus and he finally got a ring. Loyalty has worked a couple of times in pro sports but until you have lived in there shoes its hard to judge their motivation.  There job is a game they get paid to play...not a bad deal if you can make tons of cash.......Loyalty only works with dogs not in professional sports, dogs die of old age, loyal players get cut when they loose a step.....I'm a blue collar worker and work hard for my money, It's not like this is a rich persons perspective...If the players don't get the money, the owners will.

1323817[/snapback]

yeah, and how many times have players "shown loyalty" and then got cut the next offseason? if teams can't get in the same ballpark as other offers free agents are getting, they lose out. and they should. that's how it works, it's a business. the players aren't selfish a-holes for seeking the best offer any more than team GMs are selfish a-holes for cutting players or asking them to "restructure".