Sign in to follow this  
bigbadwolf

Alexander resigns with Hawks

I expect to see some happiness from the Seattle fans.

Though IMO Hasselbeck and the WRs could probably have done just fine with a 2nd tier back.

Though IMO Hasselbeck and the WRs could probably have done just fine with a 2nd tier back.

1353257[/snapback]

Yup.

Fox reporting it

1353252[/snapback]

Personally I wish the Hawks would have let him try FA and sign him cheaper if no one offered him as much as he was wanting, but what do I know. I trust the management, even though he seems like a bit of a "me me me" player, and don't get me started on his blocking.

wow...add Hutch to that and he's fine...

as long as he doesn't lose his incentive to run hard anymore.....err..not that he ever really ran hard to begin with....

I find it more than ironic that he broke the TD record in his contract year...

Personally I wish the Hawks would have let him try FA and sign him cheaper if no one offered him as much as he was wanting, but what do I know.  I trust the management, even though he seems like a bit of a "me me me" player, and don't get me started on his blocking.

1353259[/snapback]

yuup...this is what I wanted the Eagles to do with Westy instead of signing him to spite Owens at the time...

SA would have been had for cheaper than that.....I'm shocked they paid him that kind of money...

Good to see this signing. Now the Hawks are right back in the thick of things with the draft.

he seems like a bit of a "me me me" player, and don't get me started on his blocking.

1353259[/snapback]

Well, from the outside, 5 straight seasons with 1000 yds rushing and AT LEAST 16 tds make me less than critical if a guy isn't a "complete" back. :D

He's worth it to the organization. SA has been the face of the Seattle Seahawks. Other than his little whining stint he did at the end of 04 (not getting the rushing title) he has been a pretty solid and consistent player on and off the field. And in today's NFL, that is a big key to making a guy your "franchise" player.

SA would have been had for cheaper than that.....I'm shocked they paid him that kind of money...

1353264[/snapback]

Really? I don't know....I mean aren't the a plethera of guys making 5+ million a year (granted he is making more), who really don't seem to contribute that much? I think he was gonna make this payday somewhere, and the Hawks decided it should be with them.

It looks like Seattle is trying to follow the script of putting your team in cap purgatory...err if there is a cap.

Well, from the outside, 5 straight seasons with 1000 yds rushing and AT LEAST 16 tds make me less than critical if a guy isn't a "complete" back.  :D

1353268[/snapback]

true...but he's played the Rams, Cards and Niners each twice a year....and he easily has one of the top 3 OL's in the game...at least in the run-block area...

he always disappears against teams like the Boys, the Skins etc...

he doesn't break tackles unless you counsider him doing a shoulder push off against a safety a broken tackle..

Really? I don't know....I mean aren't the a plethera of guys making 5+ million a year (granted he is making more), who really don't seem to contribute that much?  I think he was gonna make this payday somewhere, and the Hawks decided it should be with them.

1353270[/snapback]

exactly...but I think that 60 mil could have been say, 50 mil....

It looks like Seattle is trying to follow the script of putting your team in cap purgatory...err if there is a cap.

1353273[/snapback]

Yea, what is going on with that...I still think the will have about 10-15 million and the draft to address their FB, #3 WR, and secondary needs. But what happens if there is no cap, and you have a dedicated owner that happens to be one of the richest people in the world? Hopefully not a Dan Snyder... :D

exactly...but I think that 60 mil could have been say, 50 mil....

1353277[/snapback]

Based on what?

He probably would have come close to the same type of money on the free market IMO. It's probably a typical NFL contract with a large signing bonus and large $$ at the backend that he will never see. Most players signing for that type of money either get the contract renegiotiated later or end up being the classic salary cap casualty.

Based on what?

1353283[/snapback]

other teams not willing to pay 60 mill...

who would pay him that much?....who has the money to and also needs a RB like that?...

lol..."based on what"

who would pay him that much?....who has the money to and also needs a RB like that?...

lol..."based on what"

1353290[/snapback]

They have been working on this contract since the beginning of the season. I doubt Tim Ruskell would have gone for this deal, if the Vikings, Browns, Cardinals, 49ers, Panthers...etc...didn't offer equal $$ for his services.

They have been working on this contract since the beginning of the season.  I doubt Tim Ruskell would have gone for this deal, if the Vikings, Browns, Cardinals, 49ers, Panthers...etc...didn't offer equal $$ for his services.

1353297[/snapback]

I dunno...he hasn't even hit the open market yet....how much feeling out could they have done?

I'm torn on this as a life long Hawk fan. I've always though SA fell way too easily prior to this year, like a Chris Warren. Arm tackles would bring him down, unless he was near the end zone in which he became another RB all together.

Am I happy we are getting him back? I am in regards to what he can do for the offense, based on this last year. But I worry he may not try as hard as he has his cash wrapped up. And though it's been said many times, this teams OLine and scheming could get most any RB in the NFL over 1,200 yrds easy.

The thing I worry about is his motivation since he's got his cash, he always talks about in the local media how this is a business first and he is a business man at his core. Nice team spirit there. He can't catch the ball out of the backfield, and I just dream of what a Tiki Barber could do here.

Lastly he really doesn't like to do the non glamerous parts of his job such as blocking. His blocking is half a$$ at best, and Hass has been crushed more than once because of it.

He always tells the story of being a kid and seeing a RB at a high school get all the attention after scoring TDs. Apparently he asked his older brother what that player did, and he was told he was a RB. "That's what I want to do, I want to score touchdowns" was his remark to his brother. He seems quite proud of that story. Personally to me, it just tells me SA is all about the glory and stats and cash, and not so much the other important parts like team leader, blocking, not taking plays off, ect ect.

Don't get me wrong, he is very talented, but he has traits that concern me. Especially at 60 million dollars.

I'm torn on this as a life long Hawk fan.  I've always though SA fell way too easily prior to this year, like a Chris Warren.  Arm tackles would bring him down, unless he was near the end zone in which he became another RB all together.

Am I happy we are getting him back?  I am in regards to what he can do for the offense, based on this last year.  But I worry he may not try as hard as he has his cash wrapped up.  And though it's been said many times, this teams OLine and scheming could get most any RB in the NFL over 1,200 yrds easy.

The thing I worry about is his motivation since he's got his cash, he always talks about in the local media how this is a business first and he is a business man at his core.  Nice team spirit there.  He can't catch the ball out of the backfield, and I just dream of what a Tiki Barber could do here. 

Lastly he really doesn't like to do the non glamerous parts of his job such as blocking.  His blocking is half a$$ at best, and Hass has been crushed more than once because of it.

He always tells the story of being a kid and seeing a RB at a high school get all the attention after scoring TDs.  Apparently he asked his older brother what that player did, and he was told he was a RB.  "That's what I want to do, I want to score touchdowns" was his remark to his brother.  He seems quite proud of that story.  Personally to me, it just tells me SA is all about the glory and stats and cash, and not so much the other important parts like team leader, blocking, not taking plays off, ect ect.

Don't get me wrong, he is very talented, but he has traits that concern me.  Especially at 60 million dollars.

1353303[/snapback]

all I have to say is...exactly....this is exactly how I feel...but was too lazy to type it...

+4

lol..."based on what"

1353290[/snapback]

You say he could have been had for $50M, when there's no basis for that. LaDainian Tomlinson got a 6 year/$60M deal. That's the baseline of what Alexander was going to get.

Maybe they should have let him go on the market to test it out, but he's been a prolific performer for the club. They rewarded his past. Plus this gives them time and a figure to work around Hutchinson's contract.

As a Hawk fan, I have no problem with this.