[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

got arrested tonight.

Piranha

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of beers four hours before the accident and they still got you DWI? Come on, man, you're among friends here. No reason to stick with that line. What did you blow anyway?

1358605[/snapback]

:D

However, your DUI is no laughing matter. I'm sorry dude, that really sucks :D

New York is pretty lenient with DUI's. You can get a conditional license which allows you to drive to and from work, grocery shopping once a week, etc. Since you didn't blow real high, the accident wasn't your fault, and you weren't beligerent, you should be in the best possible scenario, which is 6 months license suspension, but as mentioned, you'll get a conditional license.

Don't try and beat it, you'll lose. You're only chance is if they did something procedurally wrong, or if the meter hasn't been calibrated as scheduled, both of which are long shots.

1359109[/snapback]

Sounds like good advice.

I used to drink at school where are the bars were within blocks of each other and I could WALK back to my apartment. Now, with the laws in place, I always limit myself to two and then I switch to coke or water. It simply is NOT worth the insurance increases, marks on your DL, etc.

I feel bad for you that you got tagged because of an accident you didn't cause, but maybe this will cause you to me smarter in the future and avoid this situation. Still, it is a difficult lesson learn. :D

Welcome to the club. What took you so long to get here. Got mine when I was 19, single car accident, I rolled my bronco. To this day I still swear that a tan van ran me off the road, infront of that church as evening services were letting out. Unfortunately none of the people at that church saw that tan van, all they saw was an intoxicated heathen.

Sorry to be a self-righteous bastage but you had no bidness driving a vehicle if you blew a 0.12 four hours after stopping drinking.

If you had downed two beers real quick, hopped into your car and blew a 0.08...that would be a little different. This was pretty irresponsible.

New York is pretty lenient with DUI's. You can get a conditional license which allows you to drive to and from work, grocery shopping once a week, etc. Since you didn't blow real high, the accident wasn't your fault, and you weren't beligerent, you should be in the best possible scenario, which is 6 months license suspension, but as mentioned, you'll get a conditional license.

Don't try and beat it, you'll lose. You're only chance is if they did something procedurally wrong, or if the meter hasn't been calibrated as scheduled, both of which are long shots.

1359109[/snapback]

Good Info here.

Got mine in college. I was mowing lawns for money and one of them belonged to a retired judge. He told me go in and look good be polite and say something on your behalf. Time frame, accident not your fault etc. He said the only thing an attorney could do for me was get me out of there in 20 mnutes. He was right all the people with lawyers went first. I sat there for two hours. I got the same thing as the person in front of me as well as the people with lawyers.

1359109[/snapback]

tough one- we have all done it, and I know I have gotten lucky before- so I don't need to tell you it was f ing stupid you already know that. I gotta say tho- here in Washingon- YOu FIGHT THEM- it will cost you $$$ - but the best DUI attorneys are good- and amost everyone I know who has used a good one has gotten off, in much scenarios than yours appears to be. SO, do some research on your state laws- but basically if you pay $$$ thru the azz and get a top notch attorney- you can beat it.

but basically if you pay $$$ thru the azz and get a top notch attorney- you can beat it.

1359510[/snapback]

Not in New York. Fighting it will only cost you money, even with the best lawyer, and since he's only going to get the minimum most likely because of the circumstances, a lawyer won't help at all.

Not in New York. Fighting it will only cost you money, even with the best lawyer, and since he's only going to get the minimum most likely because of the circumstances, a lawyer won't help at all.

1359515[/snapback]

Ok- good info- so NY is not lenient on them then- huh? - here in Seattle these DUI lawyers work miracles on much worse cases than this appears to be.

tough one- we have all done it, and I know I have gotten lucky before- so I don't need to tell you it was f ing stupid you already know that. I gotta say tho- here in Washingon- YOu FIGHT THEM- it will cost you $$$ - but the best DUI attorneys are good- and amost everyone I know who has used a good one has gotten off, in much scenarios than yours appears to be. SO, do some research on your state laws- but basically if you pay $$$ thru the azz and get a top notch attorney- you can beat it.

1359510[/snapback]

I had a good lawyer, and got my DWI dropped to reckless driving, and had the reckless driving dropped via deffered ajudication. Of course it probably helped that I refused to blow, had a good lawyer, and knew the judge.

I had a good lawyer, and got my DWI dropped to reckless driving, and had the reckless driving dropped via deffered ajudication.  Of course it probably helped that I refused to blow, had a good lawyer, and knew the judge.

1359526[/snapback]

or maybe you did... :D

Ok- good info- so NY is not lenient on them then- huh? -  here in Seattle these DUI lawyers work miracles on much worse cases than this appears to be.

1359525[/snapback]

New York is tough, but not as tough as Jersey. In Jersey you have a better chance getting murder charges dropped than getting DUI charges dropped. :D

And FWIW, I think the laws should be tough. If you drink and drive, you deserve everything you have coming your way.

I got a DWI in NY way back in 1986 - standard procedure back than was that if it was your first offense, you would plea it down to a DUI and get what someone else posted earlier - suspended license for 6 months (with certain driving permitted, specifically to and from work). I also had to attend some class for 2 hours on Saturday mornings for 6 or 8 weeks. Pain in the neck, but as mentioned many times it could be far far worse - worst part from a practical standpoint is the cost (I did get a lawyer, and I think there was a fine, and then the bump in your insurance rates).

I got nailed on halloween night, ended up having to spend the night in jail and then saw a judge in the morning. It was a Friday nioght and there were many others in jail in the same situation. A couple of those arrested were in costume, including one drunken fool who was dressed up as a six-pack.

New York is tough, but not as tough as Jersey. In Jersey you have a better chance getting murder charges dropped than getting DUI charges dropped. :D

And FWIW, I think the laws should be tough. If you drink and drive, you deserve everything you have coming your way.

1359533[/snapback]

Yup, they'll set up roadblocks in NJ to check for DUIs, and they don't give you a temporary license to get around.

Can someone explain the diff between a DUI and DWI? Thanks.

1360012[/snapback]

No difference anymore, same thing, at least in most States.

For example:

NJ: DWI is an acronym for Driving While Intoxicated. DUI is an acronym for Driving Under The Influence. In New Jersey , the law makes no distinction between DWI and DUI.

MIN: The drunk driving statute in Minnesota was originally entitled, "Driving While Intoxicated" (DWI). The legislature, however, felt that this placed an inordinate burden upon the state to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and so the name was changed to "Driving Under the Influence" (DUI).

In January 2001, the legislature decided that "Driving Under the Influence" was still too difficult to prove, so they changed the term to "Driving While Impaired" (DWI).

While DUI technically no longer exists, the term is still used interchangeably with DWI.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

No difference anymore, same thing, at least in most States.

For example:

NJ: DWI is an acronym for Driving While Intoxicated. DUI is an acronym for Driving Under The Influence. In New Jersey , the law makes no distinction between DWI and DUI.

MIN: The drunk driving statute in Minnesota was originally entitled, "Driving While Intoxicated" (DWI). The legislature, however, felt that this placed an inordinate burden upon the state to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and so the name was changed to "Driving Under the Influence" (DUI).

In January 2001, the legislature decided that "Driving Under the Influence" was still too difficult to prove, so they changed the term to "Driving While Impaired" (DWI).

While DUI technically no longer exists, the term is still used interchangeably with DWI.

1360149[/snapback]

Cool, my wife and some friends of mine were wondering the other day. None of us have ever had one but we didn't really know. We thought maybe if they could prove you were on drugs that was a DUI and a DWI was driving after drinking, but none of knew. i guess that's a good thing to not know :D

Been there - guilty as hell (.198). Do the time, pay your fines, lesson learned. AT least you didn't hurt yourself or anyone. Best advice is to see if they offer ARD (accelerated rehab and disposition). You have a clean record if you don't f up during your probation period and your license suspension is shortened. You were guilty, as was I, don't fight it and just get through it. Mine was 94, I was 25. I feltlike shucks for awhile but you learn and grow from the mistake.