[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

got arrested tonight.

Piranha

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, if you'll ever need a lawyer, you need one now.

Sh*t, even perch lawyered up.

1360891[/snapback]

I was only 19 and didn't know any better :D

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Best advice is to see if they offer ARD (accelerated rehab and disposition).  You have a clean record if you don't f up during your probation period and your license suspension is shortened. 

1360699[/snapback]

Just to clarify: ARD only clears your criminal record. It doesn't clear your driving record.

I will add one more piece of advice here.... if you go through the NYS DWI class, which you will have to do if you want the restricted liscence, lie.

The "counselors" there are convinced that eveyone in their classes are rot gut, hard core alchy's. Go in there like Alice in Wonderland.... say geeze, do I have a drinking problem? I really don't like to drink, and almost never do drink. I hope you people can help me to identify if I have a drinking problem. There are no alchoholics in my family, and I've only gotten drunk twice in my life.... this time, and once in high school. Do I need help? If I do, please tell me what to do about it.... I'm scared.

I chit you not..... lie. They can get yer buns into long term treatment if they decide you have a problem. Their ammo is .... your driver's licsence. Absolute denial of a drinking problem to them is a red flag. Don't go there. Make them think you are really concerned, and want to get help if they think you need it.

I will add one more piece of advice here.... if you go through the NYS DWI class, which you will have to do if you want the restricted liscence, lie.

The "counselors" there are convinced that eveyone in their classes are rot gut, hard core alchy's. Go in there like Alice in Wonderland.... say geeze, do I have a drinking problem? I really don't like to drink, and almost never do drink. I hope you people can help me to identify if I have a drinking problem. There are no alchoholics in my family, and I've only gotten drunk twice in my life.... this time, and once in high school. Do I need help? If I do, please tell me what to do about it.... I'm scared.

I chit you not..... lie. They can get yer buns into long term treatment if they decide you have a problem. Their ammo is .... your driver's licsence. Absolute denial of a drinking problem to them is a red flag. Don't go there. Make them think you are really concerned, and want to get help if they think you need it.

1361147[/snapback]

Yeah, Rovers has a good point here. In the DWI class, you're basically conisdered an alcoholic and have to prove to them that you're not. Guilty until proven innocent I guess. And if you tell them that you go out a few times a week and have a few drinks, they're gonna make it tough on you.

Got mine at age 19 in 2002. Didn't get a lawyer or anything. 1 night in jail. Ended up 1 year restricted license to work and school only! $300 fine?? VSAP class. About a year after that they changed the law in VA to be waaay more strict than that. I'm not sure exactly what they are now. It's definitely a life changer, hang in there Piranha, u'll survive. It will be hard but trust me life will go on.

Yeah, Rovers has a good point here. In the DWI class, you're basically conisdered an alcoholic and have to prove to them that you're not. Guilty until proven innocent I guess. And if you tell them that you go out a few times a week and have a few drinks, they're gonna make it tough on you.

1361167[/snapback]

They'll ask 20 questions and you can answer every one of them "correctly," except 1 and you're a full blown alchoholic. You could answer every question as though you're a purely social drinker, having 1-2 drinks per month, etc. Then they ask you if you have ever blacked out while drinking and you say yes because you had a crazy night in college 10 years ago. That throws up a red flag and they label you in need of treatment.

On the other side of the story, these counselors don't know who to trust. They don't hook you up to a lie detector test. They see people with alchohol problems try to lie to avoid getting the help they need. It's really a difficult assessment.

Good Luck.

Got mine at age 19 in 2002.  Didn't get a lawyer or anything. 1 night in jail. Ended up 1 year restricted license to work and school only!  $300 fine??  VSAP class.  About a year after that they changed the law in VA to be waaay more strict than that.  I'm not sure exactly what they are now.  It's definitely a life changer, hang in there Piranha, u'll survive.  It will be hard but trust me life will go on.

1361186[/snapback]

Did they nail you for underage drinking one top of the DUI?