[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fanasty Baseball

Men In Tights

Looking for some help with keepers (5) and any advice would be appreciated.

C-Joe Mauer

1B-Todd Helton

2B-Alfonso Soriano

SS-Miguel Tejada

OF-Carl Crawford

RP-BJ Ryan

RP-Jason Isringhausen

??3B-Hank Blalock

We lose draft picks in the first 5 rounds based on numbers of players we keep. Are either of those relievers worth keeping over the bats? Would Blalock be worth keeping over the top 5?

Thanks again

edit to add--- 12-team, all mlb league

Edited by Men In Tights

Not sure how many teams you've got, but in a straight draft, mixed league, I see no reason to take a closer in the top 5 rounds. I'd rather have a pick than the closers.

I think you stick with your top 5 bats there.

Keep an eye on the Soriano situation, he doesn't want to play OF. Not sure if that will affect him. Still have to keep him though, unless you can deal him for a top starter.

Not sure how many teams you've got, but in a straight draft, mixed league, I see no reason to take a closer in the top 5 rounds.  I'd rather have a pick than the closers.

I think you stick with your top 5 bats there.

Keep an eye on the Soriano situation, he doesn't want to play OF.  Not sure if that will affect him.  Still have to keep him though, unless you can deal him for a top starter.

1361321[/snapback]

Thanks, I might be able to trade him for "king" felix, but haven't offered that.

Personally I keep BJ and let Soriano go. If he is unhappy he doesn't produce. It's better to have a sure closer with K's than a"hope he ", "can he", "will he" who might not be worth a pick in the first 5 rounds.

Blaylock is barely worth a top 5 round pick IMHO.

Soriano, Helton, Crawford, and Tejada are obvious keepers, the question is who to keep out of:

Mauer

Ryan

Izzie

Blaylock

I have Ryan as my top rated player of the bunch...albeit still not quite worthy of a 5th round pick.

I'd probably only keep the 4 players.

Guest Cherni
Looking for some help with keepers (5) and any advice would be appreciated.

C-Joe Mauer

1B-Todd Helton

2B-Alfonso Soriano

SS-Miguel Tejada

OF-Carl CrawfordRP-BJ Ryan

RP-Jason Isringhausen

??3B-Hank Blalock

We lose draft picks in the first 5 rounds based on numbers of players we keep.  Are either of those relievers worth keeping over the bats?  Would Blalock be worth keeping over the top 5?

Thanks again

edit to add--- 12-team, all mlb league

1361314[/snapback]

Do you have to keep a certain amount, like 3 minimum, or whatever you want? If it's up to you, these are the guys I would keep.

EDIT: Crawford, Soriano, Tejada. They're all top tier 1-2 round draft picks.

Edited by Cherni

Good responses by all... I would add that you should really keep Mauer. Catcher is such a thin position, and Mauer is the golden child of the position. He'll hit .300+ this season and will be a 25-HR guy in no time. Think Jason Kendall of old, with a little more power.

Soriano, Helton, Crawford, and Tejada are obvious keepers...I'd probably only keep the 4 players.

1364877[/snapback]

I agree, I think Nick is dead on here.

Good responses by all... I would add that you should really keep Mauer.  Catcher is such a thin position, and Mauer is the golden child of the position.  He'll hit .300+ this season and will be a 25-HR guy in no time.  Think Jason Kendall of old, with a little more power.

1365754[/snapback]

Mauer has been hyped so much, and while the kid can clearly hit, I personally think that he is being way overrated by many. He's a natural contact hitter and people are assuming he'll develop power, but that may or may not happen, and it's certainly no lock to happen this year if at all.

The fact is, he had only 3 HRs in 250 second half ABs last season, and he only had 9 homers in his entire minor league career (945 ABs). Add in the fact that there is still some concerns about his knee and durability, and I don't think I'd keep him as a 5th rounder in our league (top 60 picks), not quite yet. FWIW, the Sporting News lists his ADP as 62nd...in my 3 drafts so far, he's gone 81st, 78th, and 95th.

Edited by Skrappy1

Blalock and Mauer aren't worth keeper spots. There are plenty of cheap catchers that can hit...just won't steal a few bases like Mauer will.

I say go with:

Helton

Tejada

Soriano

Crawford

Ryan

Having a closer with a K rate like that is well worth a keeper spot

I say go with:

Helton

Tejada

Soriano

Crawford

Ryan

Having a closer with a K rate like that is well worth a keeper spot

1366109[/snapback]

i agree with that sentiment. i would also put out some offers of soriano for starting pitching. maybe hudson, sheets or rich harden.

I agree, I think Nick is dead on here.

Mauer has been hyped so much, and while the kid can clearly hit, I personally think that he is being way overrated by many. He's a natural contact hitter and people are assuming he'll develop power, but that may or may not happen, and it's certainly no lock to happen this year if at all.

The fact is, he had only 3 HRs in 250 second half ABs last season, and he only had 9 homers in his entire minor league career (945 ABs). Add in the fact that there is still some concerns about his knee and durability, and I don't think I'd keep him as a 5th rounder in our league (top 60 picks), not quite yet. FWIW, the Sporting News lists his ADP as 62nd...in my 3 drafts so far, he's gone 81st, 78th, and 95th.

1366007[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it given the fact we are competing.

Thanks for all of your advice and I am a little leary on Ryan, just from some of the rankings I have seen and that he is in Toronto.

What do you think of keeping Grady Sizemore along with?

Helton

Soriano

Tejada

Crawford

Thanks again for all the advice?

Guest Cherni
Thanks for all of your advice and I am a little leary on Ryan, just from some of the rankings I have seen and that he is in Toronto.

Helton

Soriano

Tejada

Crawford

1366325[/snapback]

IMO you're taking a chance keeping Helton. He's a 1B, which is always very deep. I would forget Helton and go for Travis Hafner. He's on his way up whereas Helton has seen his best days.

Of course this is all speculation, and before last year Helton was a definite keeper. If you don't keep Helton you could grab Hafner in the 4th round. I haven't really looked at where Hafner is going in drafts, but I think he would be available, and he's an upgrade at 1B.

Edited by Cherni

IMO you're taking a chance keeping Helton. He's a 1B, which is always very deep. I would forget Helton and go for Travis Hafner. He's on his way up whereas Helton has seen his best days.

Of course this is all speculation, and before last year Helton was a definite keeper. If you don't keep Helton you could grab Hafner in the 4th round. I haven't really looked at where Hafner is going in drafts, but I think he would be available, and he's an upgrade at 1B.

1366349[/snapback]

The thing I like about Helton is his OBP, we use this instead of Avg. Not to mention I have had helton in every fantasy baseball league since he was a rook and he is my favorite player in MLB. Plus I like the fact Barmes comes back and he plays half of his games in Colorado.

Helton

Soriano

Tejada

Crawford

1366325[/snapback]

Perfect.

Guest Cherni
The thing I like about Helton is his OBP, we use this instead of Avg.  Not to mention I have had helton in every fantasy baseball league since he was a rook and he is my favorite player in MLB.  Plus I like the fact Barmes comes back and he plays half of his games in Colorado.

1366385[/snapback]

This info would have been helpful earlier :D

If he's your boy, then sure, keep him. From a numbers standpoint I think Hafner's numbers will warp Helton's in R/HR/RBI and they both have OB% over .400.

The Indians are a really good team, but you do make a point with Barmes, the guy showed up to play last year!!! Good luck MIT.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it given the fact we are competing.

1366317[/snapback]

No problem, I can still be honest, can't I? :D

Helton

Soriano

Tejada

Crawford

1366325[/snapback]

This I would probably do...I would definitely rather keep Sizemore than Mauer.

Of course this is all speculation, and before last year Helton was a definite keeper. If you don't keep Helton you could grab Hafner in the 4th round. I haven't really looked at where Hafner is going in drafts, but I think he would be available, and he's an upgrade at 1B....From a numbers standpoint I think Hafner's numbers will warp Helton's in R/HR/RBI and they both have OB% over .400.

1366349[/snapback]

Don't forget, even though he had a subpar season, Helton had a very good second half last year (.367 AVG, .488 OBP with 10 HRs in 207 ABs). And although I agree with you that I'd rather have Hafner than Helton, I think you are overlooking the fact that the Hafner owner is likely to keep him as well, thereby rendering the point moot.

This info would have been helpful earlier :D

If he's your boy, then sure, keep him. From a numbers standpoint I think Hafner's numbers will warp Helton's in R/HR/RBI and they both have OB% over .400.

The Indians are a really good team, but you do make a point with Barmes, the guy showed up to play last year!!! Good luck MIT.

1366423[/snapback]

I know, when I post things like this I forget to include ALL the important details. I have gotten better when looking for fantasy football advice though. :D

Thanks, good luck to you as well as I assume you play.

No problem, I can still be honest, can't I?  :D

1367048[/snapback]

I do appreciate it as I just can't keep up with baseball like I used too. I just need to find out where you get your baseball info as I remember you being all over free agents in the IBL league. :D

Guest Cherni
I know, when I post things like this I forget to include ALL the important details.  I have gotten better when looking for fantasy football advice though.  :D

Thanks, good luck to you as well as I assume you play.

1367095[/snapback]

Good luck MIT. I'm taking a year off FB so I'd be more than happy to discuss your squad during the season.

Guest Cherni
No problem, I can still be honest, can't I?  :D

Don't forget, even though he had a subpar season, Helton had a very good second half last year (.367 AVG, .488 OBP with 10 HRs in 207 ABs). And although I agree with you that I'd rather have Hafner than Helton, I think you are overlooking the fact that the Hafner owner is likely to keep him as well, thereby rendering the point moot.

1367048[/snapback]

good info once again Skrappy...

Good luck MIT. I'm taking a year off FB so I'd be more than happy to discuss your squad during the season.

1367108[/snapback]

Thanks, I am sure I will PM you a few times. As you can probably tell I do fairly well with the bats but always take my lumps with pitching. This year I am going to draft pitching early and often and see if that can pay off.

Thanks, I am sure I will PM you a few times.  As you can probably tell I do fairly well with the bats but always take my lumps with pitching.  This year I am going to draft pitching early and often and see if that can pay off.

1367220[/snapback]

He, he . . . thanks for the warning! :D:D:D