[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parting shot at Daunte

MikesVikes

It's been fun watching Daunte play all these years with the Vikings. A big guy that can run and also has a very accurate, strong passing arm. Daunte came into the Denny Green era and Denny's gameplan of using a different aging, washed up QB every year soon left. What more can you ask for?

How about a QB that...

...can hang on to the ball in the backfield. A player that just lost the ball on the previous set of downs gets to go out on the field again (soon after the other team scored on a very short field) and procedes to hang onto the football with one hand, AGAIN! Daunte, when will you learn?

...will get the ball out of his hands in less than three seconds at least 80% of the time instead of the 5% that Daunte does. Culpepper looks downfield and finds that his receiver is wide open. Daunte waits another second, just to make sure, and throws the ball into a crowd of receivers and defenders. Todd Bouman comes into a game, with no practice time, and can spot his receivers downfield and hits them in stride. Todd Bouman, not Daunte, Todd Bouman, the division II player.

...tells the world that he is the leader of the team and then he doesn't do something stupid like a 22 year old rookie that just found a few extra dollars in his pocket. Daunte has been in the league since 1999 and is 29 years old. He shouldn't be out with the strippers after telling his team that he's the leader.

...knows when a defender is breathing fire running towards him from the backside. Daunte is back to pass and everybody in the stadium (but Daunte) knows that he's one second from getting clobbered. Yes that's another fumble.

...is confident in his abilities and in his team. Daunte needs a coach that will hold his hand and tell him that he's a great player and is doing great. Whatever Childress said in his e-mail to Daunte, probably didn't qualify in the hand-holding department. This is the one thing that separates Daunte from other veteran QBs like Brett Favre.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a QB that...

...can hang on to the ball in the backfield.  A player that just lost the ball on the previous set of downs gets to go out on the field again (soon after the other team scored on a very short field) and procedes to hang onto the football with one hand, AGAIN!  Daunte, when will you learn?

1370068[/snapback]

Agreed. And keep in mind that the diamond pepper wearing QB with a mangled knee and freakishly small hands couldnt hang on to the ball playing most of his games inside the Ghettrodome where it was atleast warm and dry. Put him out in Miami weather and what is going to happen? Surely, home games at the beginning of the season will be hot, humid, and potentially rainy. Then you got some nice AFC East stadiums to visit in Nov and Dec. I hear Buffalo is a fun place to play QB when it is cold, snowy, and the wind is howling.

Good luck, C-Pep! Miss ya like a chapped ass. :D

How about a QB that is not...

...a QB who will get the ball out of his hands in less than three seconds at least 80% of the time instead of the 5% that Daunte does.  Culpepper looks downfield and finds that his receiver is wide open.  Daunte waits another second, just to make sure, and throws the ball into a crowd of receivers and defenders.  Todd Bouman comes into a game, with no practice time, and can spot his receivers downfield and hits them in stride.  Todd Bouman, not Daunte, Todd Bouman, the division II player.

...tells the world that he is the leader of the team and then he doesn't do something stupid like a 22 year old rookie that just found a few extra dollars in his pocket.  Daunte has been in the league since 1999 and is 29 years old.  He shouldn't be out with the strippers after telling his team that he's the leader. 

...is confident in his abilities and in his team.  Daunte needs a coach that will hold his hand and tell him that he's a great player and is doing great.  Whatever Childress said in his e-mail to Daunte, probably didn't qualify in the hand-holding department.  This is the one thing that separates Daunte from other veteran QBs like Brett Favre.

...can hang on to the ball in the backfield.  A player that just lost the ball on the previous set of downs gets to go out on the field again (soon after the other team scored on a very short field) and procedes to hang onto the football with one hand, AGAIN!  Daunte, when will you learn?

...knows when a defender is breathing fire running towards him from the backside.  Daunte is back to pass and everybody in the stadium (but Daunte) knows that he's one second from getting clobbered.  Yes that's another fumble.

1370068[/snapback]

Let me make a few minor adjustments here... and.... ah! That looks more like it!

How about picking up a QB who is not a tick!! :D

For the coach helping Daunte, make it easy and don't annoy or hurt his feelings... he is fragile.

Let me make a few minor adjustments here... and.... ah! That looks more like it!

How about picking up a QB who is not a tick!!  :D

For the coach helping Daunte, make it easy and don't annoy or hurt his feelings... he is fragile.

1370198[/snapback]

:D

At least he'll have a good supply of the cheeba.....

Daunte meet Ricky! :D

Daunte has been in the league since 1999 and is 29 years old.  He shouldn't be out with the strippers after telling his team that he's the leader.   

1370068[/snapback]

he is an nfl football player...not a priest

but i get your point

And how about a guy who doesn't just completely and consistently lose his head during clutch situations and choke? Or who knows that sometimes you just have to throw the ball away when you run out of options rather than trying to force the ball into a place and just hoping that your guy gets it (which he doesn't)?

Edited by Crazysight

Last year the Dolphins drafted Matt Roth in the 2nd round. Matt Roth?!?

I'l take a 3 time Pro Bowler on my team for a 2nd rounder anyday of the week. The Dolphins STOLE Daunte Culpepper. STOLE him. A 268 lb strong armed franchise QB that's 29 years old that's been to 3 Pro Bowls? Thanks MINN !!!

Everybody brings up the fumbling. He has fumbled 33 times in his career. An average of once every 3 games. That is the same amount of times Mcnabb has fumbled in his career. I will not even get into his career completion percantage (which is better than current HOF's), or his per game TD avg (also better than some current HOF's).

Keep on ripping him Viking fans. Get back to me after you have the likes of Jay Fiedler & Gus Frerotte leading your team for the past 6-7 years. Amazing how quick you forget 2004 when if it wasn't for Manning's ridiculous year CPepp would have been the MVP of the league.

This was a HUGH upgrade for the Dolphins and their #1 off season priority.

I am 100% confidant that CPepp will thrive under Saban.

Edited by Fantasy Jesus

Last year the Dolphins drafted Matt Roth in the 2nd round. Matt Roth?!?

I'l take a 3 time Pro Bowler on my team for a 2nd rounder anyday of the week. The Dolphins STOLE Daunte Culpepper. STOLE him. A 268 lb strong armed franchise QB that's 29 years old that's been to 3 Pro Bowls? Thanks MINN !!!

Everybody brings up the fumbling. He has fumbled 33 times in his career. That is the same amount of times Mcnabb has fumbled in his career. I will not even get into his career completion percantage (which is better than current HOF's), or his per game TD avg (also better than some current HOF's).

Keep on ripping him Viking fans. Get back to me after you have the likes of Jay Fiedler & Gus Frerotte leading your team for the past 6-7 years. Amazing how quick you forget 2004 when if it wasn't for Manning's ridiculous year CPepp would have been the MVP of the league.

This was a HUGH upgrade for the Dolphins and their #1 off season priority.

I am 100% confidant that CPepp will thrive under Saban.

1370334[/snapback]

You stole a guy who just blew out not one, not two, but all three ligaments in his knee. You stole a guy who has smaller hands than my one year old son. You stole a guy who has a smaller brain than Kerry Collins. Good luck with that. :D

You stole a guy who just blew out not one, not two, but all three ligaments in his knee. You stole a guy who has smaller hands than my one year old son. You stole a guy who has a smaller brain than Kerry Collins. Good luck with that. :D

1370338[/snapback]

The Dolphins STOLE him.

Any Doplhin fan that does't like this trade needs to get their heads examined.

Small hands and small brain = 3 times Pro Bowler. Thanks Minnesota.

The Dolphins STOLE him.

Any Doplhin fan that does't like this trade needs to get their heads examined.

Small hands and small brain = 3 times Pro Bowler. Thanks Minnesota.

1370352[/snapback]

Not really. He was able to be had cheaply. Because of several reasons: Zygi's cleaning house with anyone involved in the boat incident. He had major surgery, and despite what CPep tells you, he won't be ready to start the season. He was not the answer in Minnesota. So, in short, he's not worth much right now.

I like Cpep, but I don't mind seeing him go. Pro-Bowls don't mean sh*t. I saw him f*ck up enough times for him to prove to me that he wasn't going to get the Vikes a Super Bowl victory.

Sour grapes? Don't think so. Unfortunately the Brees ship has sailed, and Ramsey is not the answer, and if they think Brad Johnson will get it done they're mistaken. But if this ends up having the Vikes trade up and get Leinart or Young, and he ends up the QB of the future, it will have worked out for the best.

FWIW, you steal something when you get something worth a lot cheap. Cpep isn't worth a lot.

Sour grapes? Don't think so. Unfortunately the Brees ship has sailed, and Ramsey is not the answer, and if they think Brad Johnson will get it done they're mistaken. But if this ends up having the Vikes trade up and get Leinart or Young, and he ends up the QB of the future, it will have worked out for the best.

FWIW, you steal something when you get something worth a lot cheap. Cpep isn't worth a lot.

1370374[/snapback]

I don't think Leinert or Young would be the answer either....rebuilding year for the Vikes unfortunately. They will be less than .500 in a $hitty division with what they've got so far. Johnson is ok, but lets face it...he's old. Miami got the better deal imo.

I'd rather have him over Vick and McNabb.........and Joey Harrington, David Carr, JP Losman, Pennington, Boller, Dilfer/whoever, Leftwich, Bledsoe, Brunnel, McNair & Favre at this point, Orton/Grossman, Simms, A. Smith, Brad Johnson and whoever the heck the Raiders QB will be......just to name a few.

Edited by Hitman

The boat incident is a joke. I guess I'm the only married Huddler that's gotten a lap dance at a bachelor party. :D Didn't know we had a bunch of choir boys here.

CPepp has 164 TD's in 81 games. An average of more than 2 per game. Let's compare that to some other "no name" guys in NFL history . . .

Marino (429 in 242 games, an average of 1.77)

Favre (408 in 225 games, an average of 1.81)

PManning (253 in 128 games, an average of 1.97)

KWarner (121 in 73 games, an average of 1.65)

Now lets take total yards (passing & rushing). CPepp has 22,639 total yards in 81 games, an average of 279.5 per game. Let's compatre that against the other "no name's QB's in NFL history . . .

Marino (61448 in 242 games, an average of 254 yards per game)

Favre (55360 in 225 games, an average of 246 yards per game)

PManning (33854 in 128 games, an average of 264.5 yards per game)

KWarner (19474 in 73 games, an average of 266.7 yards per game)

The knee is a legitimate concern but we've had RB's come back from injuries like this. There is also a long list of QB's that have played with bad knees. I'll take a QB with a knee injury over a QB with a shoulder like noodle armed Pennington injury any day of the week

He'll be working in an offense he's very used to.

I think Minnesota fans are forgetting what they had. Again, try QB's like Jay Fiedler & Gus Frerotte for 6-7 years and then we'll see how much you'll be glad to see CPepp leave.

When healthy CPepp is arguably the a TOP 3 QB in the league. A STEAL means getting a player of this caliber for a 2nd round pick. The Dolphins bought LOW.

STEAL.

Edited by Fantasy Jesus

FJ, no doubt your right about his stats. Heck, even his blown out knee wouldn't be my main concern. What I'm concerned about is what the hell happened last year. He was beyond bad. He had 0 decent games and was turning the ball over at a scarry clip. It was blind lucky that he got hurt, otherwise he may have broken the record for most turnovers in a season.

If Miami can figure out how to fix what was wrong last year, then no doubt he was a steal. When he gets into the starting lineup and continues his horrible play, then Miami got screwed. Although a 2nd round pick IMO is worth the gamble.

Edited by NAUgrad

When healthy CPepp is arguably the a TOP 3 QB in the league.

1370408[/snapback]

When Cpep had a healthy offensive line and the best WR in the league to throw to he was a top 3 QB. I think that's a MUCH more accurate statement.

I think one of the reasons you'll hear a lot of Vikes fans not terribly upset with CPep leaving is because of the last season, and because of his chronic mistakes.

Just a reminder:

2005: 139/216, 1564 yards, 6 TD's and 12 INT's, and 3 lost fumbles.

You know he fumbled the ball 23 times in 2002. :D

Hey, good luck with him, and I agree 100% that I'd be excited if my other options were Frerotte and Fiedler, but you might be setting yourself up for a big disappointment.