[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parting shot at Daunte

MikesVikes

Yeah, yeah, MVP-caliber season. You know how bad you have to suck to throw 40 TDs and still lose as many games as you win? Duante's MO is this:

First quarter: Hit somebody long for a score, maybe twice

Second quarter: Suck

Third Quarter: Suck

Fourth Quarter: Hit somebody long in garbage time to make it look close, football world at large says, "Hey, Duante threw for 270 and 2, it's not his fault." Nevermind the fumble at the goal line or the pick with three minutes left in the half that the other team turned into points, or the terrible third-down completion percentage. Nope, as long as Daunte brings it for everyone's fantasy team, he's still a "franchise quarterback".

Peace

policy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year ? I guess you forgot about 2004.

Let's see last year. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

1. He had to learn a new offense with a new offensive coordinator who is FAR from being considered an offensive genius.

2. A ton of injuries to the Oline that resulted in him being sacked 31 times in 7 games.

3. NO Running game

Am I missing something ???

There have only been two quarterbacks in the history of the NFL to reach 20,000 passing yards faster than Culpepper and those names are Marino and Manning

Edit to add: STEAL

Edited by Fantasy Jesus

There have only been two quarterbacks in the history of the NFL to reach 20,000 passing yards faster than Culpepper and those names are Marino and Manning

1370467[/snapback]

How many Super Bowls do those guys have? :D

Edit to add: BUST! :D

Here's the bottom line. MN decided Daunte was the franchise player, not Moss. So they get rid of Moss (a rare talent that comes by in a draft once every 15 years maybe). Terrible move, they got NOTHING for him (Troy Williamson and Napoleon Harris??? Come on). So the next year, they trade off the man they wanted to be the face of the organization. FOR A 2nd ROUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not what you hope to get for the franchise player. I understand its probably fair value because of the injury, but still. That doesn't make it any better for MN or its fans. Miami STOLE Daunte, because IF (its a big 'IF', I know...) he returns to 2004 form they will have had him for nothing. If not, they took a calculated risk and lost a 2nd round pick. They gave up a 2nd rounder to get A.J. Feely 2 years ago (3 years ago?) so this is a much better play for them.

Here's the bottom line.  MN decided Daunte was the franchise player, not Moss.  So they get rid of Moss (a rare talent that comes by in a draft once every 15 years maybe).  Terrible move, they got NOTHING for him (Troy Williamson and Napoleon Harris??? Come on).  So the next year, they trade off the man they wanted to be the face of the organization.  FOR A 2nd ROUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not what you hope to get for the franchise player.  I understand its probably fair value because of the injury, but still.  That doesn't make it any better for MN or its fans.  Miami STOLE Daunte, because IF (its a big 'IF', I know...) he returns to 2004 form they will have had him for nothing.  If not, they took a calculated risk and lost a 2nd round pick.  They gave up a 2nd rounder to get A.J. Feely 2 years ago (3 years ago?) so this is a much better play for them.

1370540[/snapback]

I wouldn't say the stole him - we gave him to them. They had no choice, he would have been like TO if we kept him. Everybody keeps blaming the team. I think Daunte forced this trade.

Edited by Outshined

OK sure.

Culpepper has 86 in 81 games, an average of 1.06 per game.

Marino (1.04 per game)

Favre (1.13 per game)

PManning (1.015 per game)

KWarner (1.07 per game)

Next?

STEAL.

1370485[/snapback]

It's not the NUMBER of INTs, it's the TIMING. In that 2004 season, he put up 5 TDs and no picks against Houston when they could have started me at QB and won that day, but lost an easy division game at Chicago a few weeks later when he threw three picks and got outplayed by Chad Hutchinson.

Peace

policy

Yeah, yeah, MVP-caliber season.  You know how bad you have to suck to throw 40 TDs and still lose as many games as you win?  Duante's MO is this:

First quarter: Hit somebody long for a score, maybe twice

Second quarter: Suck

Third Quarter: Suck

Fourth Quarter: Hit somebody long in garbage time to make it look close, football world at large says, "Hey, Duante threw for 270 and 2, it's not his fault."  Nevermind the fumble at the goal line or the pick with three minutes left in the half that the other team turned into points, or the terrible third-down completion percentage.  Nope, as long as Daunte brings it for everyone's fantasy team, he's still a "franchise quarterback".

Peace

policy

1370466[/snapback]

Unless you have watched Vikings games you don't understand it is more than stats...stats are great for Fantasy Football, but they don't win you Super Bowls...

Good luck to the Dolphins, may Daunte thrive there...no way he was coming back to Minnie...

but I will put money on it that Daunte NEVER wins a Super Bowl...

any takers?

Unless you have watched Vikings games you don't understand it is more than stats...stats are great for Fantasy Football, but they don't win you Super Bowls...

Good luck to the Dolphins, may Daunte thrive there...no way he was coming back to Minnie...

any takers?

1370636[/snapback]

My record on bets taken here at the Huddle is very bad and I kind of like my username now. :D

I gotta get back to you on that. But this could be a bet that takes 6-7 years.

My record on bets taken here at the Huddle is very bad and I kind of like my username now. :D

I gotta get back to you on that. But this could be a bet that takes 6-7 years.

1370745[/snapback]

The bet will go until he retires...

..or wins a Super Bowl... :D:D

any takers?

1370636[/snapback]

So true...the stats in this case don't paint a complete picture. Daunte was not able to handle pressure situations and put up a lot of gaudy stats when it didn't count. He did have some great games against the pack, but much of that was Moss going up and getting the ball. I'm not glad to see him go, last preseason I really thought he was ready to lead the team. I think if he could of had a decent line last season he wouldn't have sucked so bad. I was really hoping they'd hold onto him at the last minute, let him rehab this season, work out his differences with Childress and maybe return to 2004 form. It's going to be interesting to see which Daunte shows up in Miami...unfortunately for the fish, I think it will be more of the 2005 Daunte than the 2004 Daunte.

The Vikings screwed up in letting Moss go last year.

The Vikings did just fine in letting Culpepper go this year.

I have been a big fan of Culpepper's and feel bad that it has come to this with him, but ever since he was injured he has shown that he is a jive turkey.

Other injured QB's stick around to help out their team while they get better. Not Culpepper.

Other players that get caught with their hand in the cookie jar might just take their lumps and admit they screwed up so the story can die a quiet death. Not Culpepper.

Other players have Agents that represent them, making demands on their behalf, acting as a buffer between the player and management. Not Culpepper.

He has made so many poor choices this last year, that I have forgotten why I was a fan of his, and am just relieved to be rid of him. And here's the rub... it has become clear that Culpepper's nature is to be a self-centered, insecure, whiney little bizatch! Very few people ever change their true nature. So even if Culpepper heals well enough to play a strong game as QB again, he will still suffer from the affliction of being Daunte Culpepper. Good luck Miami.

The Vikings screwed up in letting Moss go last year.

The Vikings did just fine in letting Culpepper go this year.

I have been a big fan of Culpepper's and feel bad that it has come to this with him, but ever since he was injured he has shown that he is a jive turkey. 

Other injured QB's stick around to help out their team while they get better.  Not Culpepper. 

Other players that get caught with their hand in the cookie jar might just take their lumps and admit they screwed up so the story can die a quiet death.  Not Culpepper.

Other players have Agents that represent them, making demands on their behalf, acting as a buffer between the player and management.  Not Culpepper.

He has made so many poor choices this last year, that I have forgotten why I was a fan of his, and am just relieved to be rid of him.  And here's the rub... it has become clear that Culpepper's nature is to be a self-centered, insecure, whiney little bizatch!  Very few people ever change their true nature.  So even if Culpepper heals well enough to play a strong game as QB again, he will still suffer from the affliction of being Daunte Culpepper.  Good luck Miami.

1370840[/snapback]

Very good post!! Thats how I feel too.

Good luck Daunte in Miami, playing outdoors against New England, Buffalo, and the Jets twice a year.

I wouldn't say the stole him - we gave him to them. They had no choice, he would have been like TO if we kept him. Everybody keeps blaming the team. I think Daunte forced this trade.

1370556[/snapback]

True...but if you look at it from Miami's standpoint, its a steal. Its fair value (unfortunately for MN), but its a steal for them because 2nd rounders aren't guaranteed to pan out so the risk is low for a QB with the potential of Daunte. I know MN had to move him, but getting rid of Randy and then Daunte couldn't have been what the gameplan was initially. Thats why it sucks for MN.

It does suck for Minnesota as we have gotten very little compensation for 2 high profile/successful players. (Moss/Culpepper). Heck we got the 12th overall pick in 99 for Brad Johnson!!!! (which we used to draft C-Pep). Now we have Brad back and C-Pep is gone.

The Vikings are going a different direction. Remember we only one 1 division title (2000) with C-Pep!!!! So maybe ridding ourselves of "face" of Minnesota Vikings is not a bad thing.

Moss and C-Pep led Vikings provided us fans with as much off field fodder as on field. Maybe Vikings fans can now start to concentrate on football verses draft day screwups, moon over GB, exiting the field early, running ove traffic cops, the love boat, SB ticket scalping, etc...

Edited by T-Scorp

Since we're resurrecting 70's slurs I got one for all you Minnesota Viking fans . . .

"Ya big dummies"

- Redd Foxx

Seems most Viking fans on this board are glad to be rid of him. From my standpoint as a Dolphin fan this is a no brainer of a trade. Tremendous upsdie if his knee gets healthy again.

One point I would like to make is that Daunte thrived under Linehan. Miami will still have Linhan's Offense in 2006 eventhough Linhans not there anymore.

Miami now has Mularkey who made Kordell Stewart & Tommy Maddoxx look very good. I'm excited what he can do with CPepp.

Saban and the coaching staff he's put together is much better than Tice and the band of stooges he assembled in Minnesota.