[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parting shot at Daunte

MikesVikes

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And with Brad Johnson we'll probably still have the best QB in the NFC Norris. :D

1371418[/snapback]

Isn't that like being voted the Nicest Guy in Prison? :D

Easy, easy...my team has Kyle Boller :D

Lost his OC, Lost is ProBowl Center, No Clear No 1 WR, Dumb Coach

1371417[/snapback]

Then how did Johnson succeed with all of that? Sure, they changed the playcalling but that was an adjustment that could have been made with Cpep.

PF. I see both sides. I liked Daunte, I really did, but when I really thought about it, it was easy to let him go. Mainly because of the mistakes he made over his career. Untimely fumbles and INT's, poor judgement, etc. And when your most recent memory is 6 TD's, 12 INT's and 3 lost fumbles, the better years when he posted good numbers but didn't win a Super Bowl (and I don't entirely blame CPep, not at all, but I watched him flounder around in big games when the game was on the line), are easier to forget. Especially since the better years were good fantasy stats and not Championships.

Would I rather have Cpep than Brad Johnson. Of course. I would also rather have had Brees than CPep, but I guess they missed that boat. So, yes, unfortunately it seems we'll be looking for a new QB, hopefully via the draft imo. But Cpep made his bed here in Minnesota, and he was the one that no longer wanted to be here, so, that leaves me to say good riddance.

And with Brad Johnson we'll probably still have the best QB in the NFC Norris. :D

1371418[/snapback]

That post - in keeping with your others - is pretty spot on. It doesn't resmeble in any way shape or form of the post that started this thread.

And if Favre retires, you're probably correct about Johnson.

Then how did Johnson succeed with all of that? Sure, they changed the playcalling but that was an adjustment that could have been made with Cpep.

1371428[/snapback]

Well, I think it reflects directly on his decision making. When he had time, and Randy Moss, he did well. Take away the time, force him to make quicker decisions, remove Randy Moss, and he floundered. Brad Johnson is a smarter QB. Not as talented, but smarter, so he was able to handle the adversity and pressure a little better, which was just enough to help the Vikes succeed.

Cpep reminds me a bit of a Kerry Collins, maybe that will help with what I'm trying to get across here. Not from the athletic ability and scrambling, obviously, but from the terrible decision making when under pressure.

1371428[/snapback]

They had a tough first half schedule and the oline did not start to come together until mid season... further... it takes time to learn a new system... Look at Miami closing 6-0

Edited by Duchess Jack

Well, I think it reflects directly on his decision making. When he had time, and Randy Moss, he did well. Take away the time, force him to make quicker decisions, remove Randy Moss, and he floundered. Brad Johnson is a smarter QB. Not as talented, but smarter, so he was able to handle the adversity and pressure a little better, which was just enough to help the Vikes succeed.

Cpep reminds me a bit of a Kerry Collins, maybe that will help with what I'm trying to get across here. Not from the athletic ability and scrambling, obviously, but from the terrible decision making when under pressure.

1371439[/snapback]

Well, I think there's more to it than that, seeing as how he was just fine when Moss missed a half dozen games in 2004. Clearly, he mentally checked out before 2005 started - and I've busted on him for that because that's BS. But he did a lot for you guys, and his 2004 stat line is simply ridiculous.

I understand that 'don't let the door hit you' but not glossing over what he's done. Fair is fair.

I understand that 'don't let the door hit you' but not glossing over what he's done. Fair is fair.

1371454[/snapback]

I'll agree with that. :D

Also, FWIW, if Cpep had indicated that he wanted to stay here, I think he'd be getting a lot more support from the fans. He basically gave Minnesota the old F U, so the good times are a little hard to remember. Had he won a Super Bowl, I don't think anyone would be saying what you're hearing in this thread.

Good stuff Pope, thanks. :D

Winner winner chicken dinner !!!

Did Viking fans expect CPepp to carry the entire team (ala Marino) with all those factors going against him?

1371423[/snapback]

Umm.....yes. He was paid accordingly, and MN got rid of Moss thinking that Culpepper would be successful without him.

Anyone that's read any of my posts knows my homerism and that I've been a Daunte backer the entire time. But when he said he wanted out last week, even I said, fine, go, get out of here. We're not going to get much, but we need to keep moving on with this transition the organization is going thru. Everybody and his brother on this board said no way will anyone give up a 1st round pick for a QB with 3 torn ligaments. They'd be crazy. They were right, we could only get the next best thing, a 2nd round pick. Now the Vikes are the crazy ones. :D

All that said, I'm not kicking him as he goes out the door, but the fact is, the guy has some definite troubles reading defenses. He's always had the talent from the start, I kept hoping as he gained experience he would learn that. Until Linehan came along, you really never saw any improvement. I thought he was finally on to something two years ago. But, last year, in some tough situations, he seemed even worse then ever.

Miami fans should be ecstatic they got him for a good bargain. I hope he gets things going, but I think you'll see what a lot of us have, once he realizes his initial target isn't open, it's like he has no idea what to do next sometimes. In the right situation, he's got the talent to overcome that. We'll see if this is that situation, but watch, you'll see what myself and H1 have been saying.

This Season?  The dude's knee was shredded, he may be back this season, but from early reports in Minny, wouldn't be until Thanksgiving or so.

1371132[/snapback]

He himself said on Sports Center that he would be ready to play opening day. I know he's no doctor, and is probably giving us dolphins fans something to look forward to, but no one is saying that he ABSOLUTELY WON'T be ready to go yet. Even if he does miss a few games, when he comes back he will do good imo, thats all I was trying to say.

He himself said on Sports Center that he would be ready to play opening day. I know he's no doctor, and is probably giving us dolphins fans something to look forward to, but no one is saying that he ABSOLUTELY WON'T be ready to go yet. Even if he does miss a few games, when he comes back he will do good imo, thats all I was trying to say.

1371923[/snapback]

So, what do you think he's going to say? His career is on the line, and you think he's going to say: "yeah, the knee's a mess, I have no idea when/if I'll be ready to play, but feel free to offer me a big contract regardless."

What Cpep tells you about his knee is nothing but optimistic BS. Now I'm not a Dr., but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I can tell you for certain that CPep won't be ready for opening day, which means he'll have no camp, which means if he eventually is able to start, it will be mid season in a new system with new players. He should be stud-like. :D

and a new offense that he didnt embrace. 

1372051[/snapback]

Denny G. put in the current Vikings offense back in ‘92. It really has not changed much since then.

MN had to make the separation, even if it was for a warm six pack. No arguing whether Daunte could play with the best at times, but he simply was no longer an option with Childress when he started going loco. It became “Thundra on the Tundra“ and Wilfe sided with the coach. There was no way that Wilfe was going to chance a T.O. Part Deux show happening here. Nothing more than a divorce, with Miami getting the most upside, and Wilfe getting to put his stamp on the team. Interesting times no doubt.

I am having a hard time telling whether they will truly compete this year or if they are on a two year rebuild.

I am having a hard time telling whether they will truly compete this year or if they are on a two year rebuild.

1372223[/snapback]

Me too, but that depends on Chicago - but thats a whole different thread for a different time. Just think - had Daunte played the whole year, we would have had the 5th or 6th pick :D

I gotta agree with FJ.  Absolute STEAL by the Dolphins.

1370454[/snapback]

If CPep's knee is healthy (which probably won't be until 2007) I really like him with Marty Booker and Chris Chambers to throw to.

This year is probably going to be a bit of a downer for him--not as bad as last year though.